I travel 10-15 times a year, and Piedras y Olas is one of the
only resorts I return to every year...I go on a Houseboat trip
to Center Hill Lake, TN with the same group for 14years now.
And I go to Alaska fishing every June. Other than that I go
different places, with one exception- Pelican Eyes /Piedras
y Olas in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. While flying home
this month, I realized again that the staff are truly family.
They treat everyone with such respect..and the SMILES-they
are nonstop. The only thing I did not like about my trip was
the amount of time I got to spend there. I now need 2 more
days with all of the activities available.
Our group was very electic-22 of us ages 20 to 63.
We all have such a great time every year . 12 of us arrived
on Wed afternoon this year...to make it in time for the
Happy Hour-what a blast. I believe most of the town is
there. After getting up at 4a and arriving Managua at 2p,
then a 2hr van ride, I had decided to go to our wonderful
Casa and just relax-NOT. One step out of the Van and we
were mixing with the locals and guests. I do think I got to
bed before Midnight though!
I have my favorite places to stay, but went with the larger
Casa this year and loved it! I do wish I was on my honeymoon
though. The special touches the housekeepers and
lawnkeepers showed were incredible. A three tiered fountain
outside our Casa was adorned with beautiful flowers, and
inside special touches were everywhere with flowers. As
Much as I felt like a honeymoon hacienda- My sister,friend and
best friend from High School all felt like Queens..
The next day I went to the new Spa. I was wondering if I
really should take 4 hours out of the gorgeous day to
pamper myself-Boy am I glad I did. I did the Massage,
Facial, Pedicure, Manicure and hair cut for what I pay
for a haircut only in the US. I will do it again next year.
The Spa is on site so you just walk down from the pool
or your room. After the Spa you have to stop by the local
zoo...monkeys, kittens, puppies and this year a Pelican
that had been injured...Chris has such a big heart..each
year I get to see someone new added...A walk into town
that afternoon and then back to meet the van with our friends
arriving on Thursday. Once at the Resort all 22 of us were
ready to go.
Kathy Knight made sure we had a table for 22 that night
and we dined on LBee's famous cuisine..I had a hard time
deciding between the Tuna, Wood oven Pizzas or my favorite
I could eat 4 times a day the Ceviche and Chips..umum
On Friday a group went Panga fishing with Gabrielle and
the "Miss Nancy" and another Panga..they had a great day
Caught 5 Dorado and quite a few Tuna../the rest of us went
ziplining and had a blast/. The Fishermen and women brought
all of the fish to the Kitchen at Piedras y Olas and I am sure
startled LBee as it was around 2pm..She did up a family style
fish fiesta like you have never seen...3 differnet ways and
Tuna done a special Nicaraguan way /we are still trying to
figure everything in that wonderful dish/ The staff did up
special menus with our group name on it...The special touches
done by EVERYONE at the resort are wonderful.
We have a special reason to come every year and it started
the year the resort opened. The staff was so special to us
we wanted to give back to them...we started what is called
the Cannonball Fiesta. and have been back every year since
to show our appreciation. Cesar Paniamogan, Jr took pictures
for us this year-and then showed his special touch by putting
them on his website -www.DanCesar.com so we all got to
see the pictures..If you click on it you will see alot of the
special smiling staff that work so hard at the resort.
Some of us had planned to spend Saturday relaxing by the
great infinity lap pool, but alas -more activity ATV riding
along with trying to wake up from the great party the night
before. And a great tour of the property by the wonderful
Construction Foreman- George Knight...His tours and
explanation for construction in terms we understand, along
with Chris Berry's commitment to detail convinced some of
the lucky members of our group to purchase some of the
casitas and property at Piedras..I wish I could be so lucky-
Someday I hope. I have not given up the hopes of owning
in this wonderful Paradise. Not just San Juan del Sur
but Piedras...it keeps me coming back at least once a year
every year but usually 2-3 times.
We were saddened to find the sailboat had been sent ashore
during a storm and was not fixed in time for our planned sail.
Geo did a great job though and got another boat for us and
we all got to sail with the Newly Captained "Mario". He has
been part of the Sailing crew for at least 12 years and I am
glad to see him Captain..The whole crew has been together
forever...They pamper you like you would not belive-do not
let them see your empty glass if you don't want more.
A few of us are from Houston and as you know Hurricane Ike
caused all of us some damage and dollars. I know a few of
us were possibly going to cancel as it was only weeks after
Ike- we all had to purchase new food, roofs, cars etc..but when
all was said and done , we knew this trip and the wonderful
scenery, food and PEOPLE were what we needed most..None
of us cancelled and we had another great year.
If you want a gorgeous, very unique place to vacation-This is
it...10 of us have already planned next year-with 2 days added
so hopefully we can relax by the pools we missed this year.
I need to let Dougie know about the extra days..haha. If you
need anything, he can get it.
We also got to see the makings for destination Weddings
which Piedras does now..beautiful settings...and those
gorgeous Nicaraguan sunsets...I am already wanting to
go back....I need to see what is open in January.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa offers a stunning hillside location and panoramic views of San Juan del Sur and the ocean beyond. Our infinity pools, spacious accommodations, romantically lush gardens, wonderful restaurants, open air bars, and one-of-a-kind San Juan Del Sur coastline sailing adventure are a unique experience.A visit to our Tranquila Day Spa is an experience of sheer indulgence. We offer a menu of massage and body treatments to ensure that you truly relax on your romantic Nicaraguan getaway. Experience more of Nicaragua with day trips to Granada or the artisan markets in Masaya. Here at the resort, open air yoga classes, water aerobics, and active local excursions (arranged by our concierge) help keep you fit while visiting paradise. Even our brick stairs—winding up the hillside — contribute to the cause!Our San Juan del Sur hotel’s mission is to provide a unique and memorable Nicaragua vacation experience in every aspect of your stay. Our friendly staff endeavors to fulfill every possible need or special request (and to predict those wishes perhaps not yet even realized!)No request is too big or too small. Let us know what we can do to enhance your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Eyes Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hotel Pelican Eyes
- Resort Pelican Eyes
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur