I booked a stay at Pelican Eyes at the recommendation of my friends, since they were having a wedding in SJDS and the reception at Pelican Eyes. I admit, it was laziness on my part in not researching other options hotel. I looked at some pictures, and the review seemed good, and plus my friends had been there and recommended it, so I booked it. I am positive that my first experience of Nicaragua would have been much better had I not stayed at Pelican Eyes.
I should have known what to expect when I was trying to book, and it took 25+ emails to finally get my reservation straight. Those responding to emails would leave out important details, not answer my follow up questions, and mixed up the room I was trying to book multiple times. It was frustrating in the least.
Arriving at Pelican Eyes, the resort was nice enough. However, the property is too big, and you need a shuttle to go anywhere. Transport via the hotel shuttle is unfortunately the only option for getting to and from the reception and the room. The roads throughout the resort are not paved, so it's not very easy to walk, and it's a bumpy ride in the shuttle. Each time we needed a ride to leave our casa, we would have to call the reception. The amount of time it took for the transport to arrive would vary anywhere from 5 minutes to 45+ minutes. I felt like much of my time in Nicaragua was waiting for transport and getting transported through the resort and to town or reception.
The first night in the resort, a glass cover on the stove exploded when I tried to boil some water. Luckily my boyfriend and I were both not in the kitchen when this happened. If we were, I can only imagine how we would have been hurt because there were shards of broken glass everywhere in the kitchen and surrounding area. This seemed like a freak accident, but we heard from one of the other weddings guests that it happened to them too!
There were also bugs in the casa we stayed in. In the bathroom one night there was the biggest spider I have ever seen by the door. And on another day I was stung by a bee in the bathroom. The kitchen had a lot of little bugs crawling around the counters as well.
The service at the resort was extremely poor, and there was a definite lack of communication between the staff regarding everything about the stay. It was extremely stressful and frustrating to be stuck in a resort that is not only poorly designed, but also where the service was horrible.
I really wish I had researched myself and stayed at a hotel in town. There was a little boutique hotel right on the street by the beach, and it was a lot cheaper than Pelican Eyes.
Pelican Eyes reaffirmed why I prefer boutique hotels as opposed to big resorts, and this was by far the worst experience at a resort thus far.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa offers a stunning hillside location and panoramic views of San Juan del Sur and the ocean beyond. Our infinity pools, spacious accommodations, romantically lush gardens, wonderful restaurants, open air bars, and one-of-a-kind San Juan Del Sur coastline sailing adventure are a unique experience.A visit to our Tranquila Day Spa is an experience of sheer indulgence. We offer a menu of massage and body treatments to ensure that you truly relax on your romantic Nicaraguan getaway. Experience more of Nicaragua with day trips to Granada or the artisan markets in Masaya. Here at the resort, open air yoga classes, water aerobics, and active local excursions (arranged by our concierge) help keep you fit while visiting paradise. Even our brick stairs—winding up the hillside — contribute to the cause!Our San Juan del Sur hotel’s mission is to provide a unique and memorable Nicaragua vacation experience in every aspect of your stay. Our friendly staff endeavors to fulfill every possible need or special request (and to predict those wishes perhaps not yet even realized!)No request is too big or too small. Let us know what we can do to enhance your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Eyes Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hotel Pelican Eyes
- Resort Pelican Eyes
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur