“Good hotel with a fabulous view.”

Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed for 5 night at Pelican Eyes. Overall a good stay, the staff was very helpful and the views and hotel room are great. The mention about the stairs in all the previous posts is true, there are a LOT of stairs. You can get a car to drop you within the hotel for free but thats at the reception and you have to walk up to the reception from the entrance. There is also a vehicle which can drop you to the city centre for 5$ a round trip. The only reason I am giving it four stars is because the spa was expensive and a disappointment. They made us fill forms which specify where we want them to focus but did not even read it. The food at the hotel was OK, but pricey. The reception staff was great, always available for assistance and giving us advice. And the sailing trip organised by the hotel was great. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you want a good view, be prepared to walk. If you don't want to walk, be prepared for an aver...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Pelican Eyes R, General Manager at Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear,

Thank you for having taken the time to provide us with this commentary. I am sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience at our spa, there will be looked into how to improve the spa experience. Nevertheless I think I can deduct from your review that you had an overall enjoyable stay. I am pleased hearing you had such a wonderful sailing trip. We look forward being you of service again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 21, 2014

The first thing you have to know is that Pelican Eyes is not an hotel but an estate of houses set on a steep hillside above S J del S. The houses are very well appointed and have great views but most of them are an unwalkable distance from reception and amenities. Pelican Eyes runs a fleet of Land Cruisers to get customers to & from their houses. You want breakfast by the pool? Call for a Land Cruiser! If, like my wife & I, you are stationed at the top of the estate, a steep half a mile from reception, it all gets a bit silly. Try to find an hotel in town. San Juan del Sur is a cool place.

Dear,

Thank you for having taken the time to provide us with this commentary. I am pleased hearing that you enjoyed the housed you stay in. This hotel has a unique architecture indeed and not all accommodations are as close to the reception and pools as others. The hotel was built on top of a hill and it was built in such a way that the original flora and fauna were not altered, providing the resort with magnificent view but with an abundance of stairs, which some might encounter as very inconvenient. Nevertheless I hope you did have a pleasant stay at Pelican Eyes, we would look forward being you of service again in the future.

General Manger

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Selected Pelican Eyes based upon previous reviews, overall value, and the infinity pool. Very pleasant arrival. Greeted by Tony at the front desk with welcoming refreshments. Great experiences, too, with Alberto and Daniel also at the front desk.
Truly wonderful staff recovered from issues.

Was truly caught off guard when:
1. ALL 3 pools closed to ALL guests on a Saturday for private wedding parties.
2. Checked in to moldy room and no ocean view. No hair dryer.
After lengthy back and forth conversations, and showing documentation, Sergio saved the day. He secured an ocean view suite for the night then arranged for an ocean view room for remaining nights (two queen beds rather than the one king reserved) for the remainder of the stay. But it took a call to maintenance to get the shower to work. The following night there was no hot water. In short order the team replaced the propane tank. A hair dryer was requested and promised but we were informed that there were none available. Sergio actually brought a hair dryer from home. Really outstanding customer service. Sergio and his team did the best that could with the available resources. Sergio also ensured an appropriate adjustment for the inconveniences.

Enjoyed a romantic valentines dinner under moonlight, poolside, with live music. Javier delivered outstanding, personal care, which topped off the perfect dinning experience. Sincerely dedicated to his craft.

Pelican Eyes Resort has opportunities to improve for sure.
But the sincerity and dedication of staff is outstanding and representative of the kind people of Nicaragua.

Dear,

First of all I would like to thank you for having taken the time to provide us with this commentary. I am sorry to hear that you did encounter inconveniences due to the private wedding parties. We will look into how to better inform the customers for when events like this take place again. It is a pleasure for me to hear that you the staff created outstanding experiences for you. I am proud having such an incredible team here at Pelican Eyes. This is one example of how wonderful and accommodating our staff is. I appreciate your comments, I will ensure our team is reminded of the outstanding job they are doing. We look forward being you of service again in the future!

Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Had the most amazing lunch with a view of the bay and infinity pool.. The view is like no other.. On my way out we got an unexpected tour from ground manager Moises I believe. . top notch service .. We will be back

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear,

Thank you for having taken your time to provide us with this commentary. I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our resort and that you experienced our top noch service. Thank you for your kind commentary for Moises, I always appreciate hearing such positive comments about the employees. We look forward being you of service again in the future to offer you the same service you have gotten to appreciate.

General Manger

Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

A big thank you to the entire Pelican Eyes team, especially the events team - Headley and Selina and general manager Gabriel! Our wedding was absolutely perfect! Our 25 guests also had a blast and appreciated all of the beautiful details - such as the lights , lanterns , white fabric decor - a stunning presentation! And everyone said it was the best food they had on their trip ! I also have to say that everyone was incredibly accommodating - for example, I did not have a full length mirror in my casa the day of the wedding. The staff located one in another casa and mounted it to my wall so I could have a large mirror to use while getting ready the day of !!! We had an amazing day !

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Shelby,

Once again thank you for your complimentary comments. I am really pleased to know that you had such an amazing day. Thank you for mentioning the events team, we are proud of them and I am content hearing that they helped in creating your perfect wedding. I will ensure our team is reminded of the outstanding job they are doing. We hope you will always keep wonderful memories of us. We look forward being you of service again in the future.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

This hotel was beautiful, comfortable and relaxing. It is a bit far from the beach and any other food options, but the hotel itself is enough to spend a few days relaxing in the Infiniti pool, short hikes and playing with monkeys! The restaurant was good food, but you can get better food for a fraction of the price in town.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear,

Thank you for having taken your time to provide us with this commentary. I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay and that experienced the comfort, beauty of the resort and that you had a relaxing experience. Thanks again for having given us this feedback. We look forward being you of service again in the future.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

So we my husband and I spent 3 days at Pelican Eyes from Jan 21st till 24th and we loved it. Here is a list some of the pros and cons

Pros:
great rate that we got from hotels.com. It was basically $160ish with taxes/ night. Everywhere else was much more expensive and it was gorgeous. The views alone are worth it. We had family stay at 2 other houses and each house had an amazing view of the sunset.

We were given a casita (little house) ours was Casita Faro and it had a full kitchen/ with utensils and everything. We went to the supermarket right outside of San Juan and loaded up on sodas/ waters/ beers as well as breakfast foods. Generally we ate in town for our big lunches and then ate something small for dinner.

Cons:
As you probably already read, there are a lot of stairs. I have no problem with that except for if you are out at night and you can't see the stairs in some sections as the lighting did not work. I would suggest bringing your own flashlight.

Room service was incredibly expensive. They give you a menu with prices though the menu neglects that the price listed is for when you eat at one of the restaurants. If you order food, there is an $8 charge and then the food itself is double.

I know you probably can't help it (the hotel is basically in the jungle) but there were ants in the room- and honestly I'll take ants over any other insect. Yes, you will have little lizards also hanging out in your little home- but that's normal and that did not bother me.

only other con I can list is that SJDS was actually dead at night- though that is not Pelican Eye's fault. When we went for the 3 days in January, the restaurants in town were basically closed by 10-11pm. Again, we did go during the week but I was expecting a little more excitement.

Room Tip: don't loose your towel card- if you do then you will be charged $25.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear,

First and foremost thank you for having taken the time to write this review. I would like to say that I am pleased hearing that you and your husband had a pleasant 3 days stay at Pelican Eyes. Thank you for having provided us with this feedback, we will take your comments into account and we will see what we can do to further improve our services offered. We look forward being you of service again in the future.