“What an amazing experience.”

Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
GreenLeadersSilver level
Port McNeill, Canada
“What an amazing experience.”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I would HIGHLY recommend staying here and especially using this place for an event. My wife and I just got married there this past November and were down with 40 of our friends for a 5 day stay. Joel and Allison from the hotel did an amazing job with the event coordination and made our wedding day a great success. The staff were very helpful and everyone went above and beyond to make our stay a memorable one. We look forward to returning in the future to revisit the place where it all happened. Thank you so much Pelican Eyes.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank steepndeeper
Pelican Eyes R, General Manager at Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear,

I would like to say that I am very pleased hearing your Pelican Eyes experience was so memorable and that you and your 40 friends enjoyed the wedding day. Thank you so much for your praising comments, the ones regarding our team members are particularly appreciated, your opinion is very important to us. That being said I would like to say that we also look forward seeing you in the future, in order for us to provide you with the service you have gotten to admire.

Gabriel Holt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We bought this vacation through a mystery auction in 2012 from LuxuryLink. The package include airport transfers, daily breakfast and a welcome drink. When we arrived we found our driver and made our way to the resort. It was a 2 hour trek but well worth it. Saw many volcanoes and different crops along the way.

The resort is on the side of a hill and has a bazillion stairs. This is not a vacation for the out of shape. I believe it was 153 steps from the reception area to our casa (Casa Ensueno). We were flabbergasted by the size of our accommodations. We were expecting a one bedroom typical sized hotel; instead we had an entire house to ourselves. We could have slept in a different bed almost every night. It was a two bedroom, three bed and a futon set up. Would be perfect for a large family! The Casa includes 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen, dining room and living room. The TVs are a bit outdated, but we didn't travel to Nicaragua to watch the tube. And there was wifi so we were all set with our devices.

The resort is kept up very well and absolutely stunning. We went in early November and the resort seemed pretty empty. We had our choice of the three different pools; rarely did we have to share a pool.

It's about a 10 minute walk 'downtown' downhill. Tons of great little shops in the city and restaurants along the beach. The resort restaurant is pretty great as well and they have room service in the event you don't want to make the 100+ step trek down to dine.

The spa is also fantastic. We did a 1.5 hour couples massage and it was absolutely fantastic.

Room Tip: If you aren't looking for a work out, request a room closer to the reception.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tutudanc23
Dear,

Thank you for reviewing our resort. I am very happy hearing that you describe us as a perfect getaway location’, that you were impressed by our accommodations and that you enjoyed your stay at the spa. We appreciate your commentary and we look forward to serving you again in the future

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

A perfect little town filled with great people and plenty of things to do, like shopping, fishing, surfing.The resort has a great look and feel with great views of the ocean, wonderful accomodations, with spectacular pools, food and service. Will go back again and again

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LarnedMarlow
Pelican Eyes R, General Manager at Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear,

Thank you for having taken the time to write a review of our resort. I am always very pleased hearing guests had a pleasant stay at our resort. We look forward to seeing you again (and again) at Pelican Eyes.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I'm torn between three and four stars for this property. It falls somewhere between 'Average' and 'Very Good'. First, let's get the obvious out of the way: the hotel is by far the most luxurious property in SJDS, and one of the top in the whole country. The views from the property cannot be beat. And, the rooms are huge. The Casa we stayed in was bigger than my apartment at home! But, for all of that, something is still lacking to make it a really great place to stay.

The major issue I had was bugs. I know it's common in the area, and I'm not squeamish, but there were A LOT of bugs in our room. Mostly in the bathroom, but also the bedroom, kitchen and living room areas. Lots of ants, and spiders, but also worms, flies and pincher bugs. I found myself wishing the property spent more effort on bug control and/or cleaning than they did on the appearance of looking fancy. We stayed 4 nights, and the problem got better the longer we were there which makes me think they weren't cleaning the room before we arrived.

The other issue, which is easily overcome, but still worth noting, is the prices at the bar and restaraunt are laughably high. Like, 3 to 5 times what you'd pay anywhere else. It's obvious that they are playing up their status as the luxury property in town, and perhaps think travelers will want to pay the higher prices to inidcate better quality or something. In any event, don't bother eating or drinking here, just take the walk in to town for the same service at a fraction of the price.

Finally, as noted, there are lots of steps. It didn't bother me, but if walking up steps is going to ruin your vacation, don't stay here. The one time we requested the shuttle it took two phone calls and an extra 30 minutes of waiting before they arrived, so I would imagine using it regularly is quite a frustration.

I think if you are travelling to SJDS (and you shoud, the town is really fun and interesting), I would reccomend staying here. However, I wouldn't tell you to go out of your way just to stay here. It's not that type of luxury property quite yet.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DCMcG
Dear,

First of all thank you for taking your time for reviewing our resort. I am happy to hear that you liked the accommodations and view we have. I would like to personally apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at Pelican Eyes. We regularly fumigate the rooms, unfortunately due to the fact that our hotel is located in a tropical area it might occur that bugs still find their way in, like what you encountered. Thank you again for your feedback, we appreciate your opinion and we will address the by you mentioned issue. We constantly try to improve and to provide every guest with the top-notch care they deserve. We hope to be able to serving you again in the future.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I visited San Juan del Sur Nov2-7, I stayed at Pelican again and had a fantastic stay. I had some new visitors and 1 that had been with me before. Just as gorgeous as always and our group loved the spacious Casa's we had. We had planned on cooking 1 or 2 nights but the food in La Cascada was so good we never got a chance to use the kitchen :)It was the end of offseason so the upper restaurant was closed. Great sunsets again and not enough time to enjoy the wonderful pools, as we chose to sail with Captain Mario on the Pelican Eyes sailboat, horseback ride with Rancho Chilamate,the Spa,and did the walk to Jesus, and our favorite School donations with Fundacion A J Brugger. Another successful visit to Paradise. And I was just as impressed with Pelican Eyes Resort as the first time I visited in 2004!

Room Tip: the upper rooms have fantastic views of water or valley. a lot of stairs to climb, but well worth it...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cannonballer
Dear,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am very happy to hear that you had such a pleasant stay at Pelican Eyes. Deducting from your review you had an excellent holiday. Also a special thanks to you for supporting the AJ Brugger Fundation. we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Walpole, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We picked Pelican Eyes for a vacation with friends AND family. I find myself very happy with the choice.
The homes were comfortable and filled with light, and they staircase up the hill affording each a grand view of both San Juan Bay and, at day's end, the setting sun. The architecture feels very much in keeping with traditional local building and, at the same time, made visitors like me, feel right at home.
Breakfast was a pleasure in the thatched hut bistro perched on the edge of one of the pools and, like everything else, overlooking the bay. There's a fine restaurant and bar on site for dinner, but since Pelican is perched right on the edge of town, you can easily wander into town and explore dining there, which we took full advantage of.

Room Tip: We stayed in the home called 'Suenos del Mar' and enjoyed it thoroughly. But we got to visit...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dennis M
Dear,

Thank you for having taken the time to write this review. I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our resort and that it made you feel right at home. We really appreciate your commentaries. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Corpus Christi
Reviewed December 8, 2013

For my first visit to San Juan Del Sur I wanted someplace with character but I like my luxuries. Pelican Eyes exceeded expectations. Our room was open and spacious, with stunning vistas off our private deck. I cannot say enough about the professional service - I want to especially mention the engaging restaurant staff, Sophia, Javier, and Raphael, who went to great lengths to accommodate us, and the concierge, Lorna, who set up the best sail boat excursion I've ever experienced.

Room Tip: I didn't see all the rooms, but ask for an ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank drtracijordan
Dear,

First of all thank you for taking your time to write this review. I am very happy to hear that your stay at Pelican Eyes exceeded your expectations. Thank you for your comments, especially the ones regarding our team members are particularly appreciated. We look forward to serving you again in the future.