We arrived as a family group and booked a large house ‘Ensueno’ and a smaller habitation as well. For a better view try the house name Madrono; breathtaking views but only one bathroom for the same price. The houses are unique and beautiful, it’s such a shame the termite infestation (see pictures) ruined our stay.
We called the front desk and when the man came he wandered around aimlessly but didn’t actually do anything except confirm the termites which were crawling all over the kitchen and bathrooms and needed no confirmation! We all had to move to another house (Madrono) at 11pm with small children which was inconvenient. We were assured the house would be cleaned up but when we returned the next morning, nothing had been done. We called again to explain the termites still being there and later still, they had a quick sweep before moving us back in but it was by no means clean and comfortable. I asked for repellent but was told they did not have any, what hotel that advertises as 5* in the jungle doesn’t have repellent!?
We tried to move on and order breakfast but it took about 90 minutes and was overpriced considering the poor quality, cold food and wrong items. Overall these things could be put up with but when the charge is $400 a night , one expects top notch service and we were left very disappointed. We moved to Villa Paraiso ( in Ometepe) at half the price and had a much better experience ( see separate review).
Other issues were the AC control being missing couldn't be tuned on and the water going off in the smaller habitation. The service at Pelican Eyes is far too slow, you do not feel cared for and considering the price, one if left feeling ripped off. On the up side, we complained and (eventually after 15 mins or so) they conceded and said they would refund half our price. We are waiting to see if this happens. Will keep you posted as to whether we receive the refund as are left with no faith in this hotel.
Quick solution for the termites was turn of the lights!
Since writing this we have received one nights compensation but it doesn't make up for the unpleasant experience in the first place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa offers a stunning hillside location and panoramic views of San Juan del Sur and the ocean beyond. Our infinity pools, spacious accommodations, romantically lush gardens, wonderful restaurants, open air bars, and one-of-a-kind San Juan Del Sur coastline sailing adventure are a unique experience.A visit to our Tranquila Day Spa is an experience of sheer indulgence. We offer a menu of massage and body treatments to ensure that you truly relax on your romantic Nicaraguan getaway. Experience more of Nicaragua with day trips to Granada or the artisan markets in Masaya. Here at the resort, open air yoga classes, water aerobics, and active local excursions (arranged by our concierge) help keep you fit while visiting paradise. Even our brick stairs—winding up the hillside — contribute to the cause!Our San Juan del Sur hotel’s mission is to provide a unique and memorable Nicaragua vacation experience in every aspect of your stay. Our friendly staff endeavors to fulfill every possible need or special request (and to predict those wishes perhaps not yet even realized!)No request is too big or too small. Let us know what we can do to enhance your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Eyes Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hotel Pelican Eyes
- Resort Pelican Eyes
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur