“Incredible room presentation and majestic view!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa

Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Incredible room presentation and majestic view!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My shoestring budget traveling roots made me feel both reluctant and guilty about staying at the lavish Pelican Eyes with the questionable history, but the indulgence was oh so worth it. You just feel like pure gold gazing out over the city, beach, ocean, and sunset from your gorgeous, hillside, multilevel, colorful room. Wow, that's a mouthful...and certainly an eyeful! The infinity pool has a fabulous view as well.

Per the reviews that insisted that the hotel's food and services were grossly overpriced, we just took their word for it and headed out on the town. It took 77 steps to get from the hotel's ground entrance to our room (we had had lowest/closest room!) and another 200 steps to get to the upper infinity pool. That's a lot of hiking in the hot, humid NIcaraguan hillside. You better be in shape and wear cool clothing.

All that having been said, it was 5 stars in my book as I still LOVED our room and view immensely.

Room Tip: Pick the lowest room possible. The Jasmine room was the first one. Higher rooms may have an even b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GoldenBlue3
Pelican Eyes R, General Manager at Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear,

First of all I would like to say that I am very pleased hearing your Pelican Eyes experience was so rewarding. Thank you for having taken the time to write this review. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Gabriel Holt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was my first time to stay at Pelican Eyes and I stayed only for one night. I can say that the quality of my room was first rate and the service I received the same. My room initially had no air conditioning but within 5 minutes of getting into the room and calling, there were two repairmen there and replaced something in 30 minutes. I think that is great service. I have eaten there many times and again, I cannot say enough good things about the food and the staff. And the view is one of the most amazing there is, especially at sunset. Great job Gabriel, Martin and the entire staff!

Room Tip: I think the best room is one closest to the pool (any of the pools that is) but the higher you go th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sooner86
Dear,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your contribution; we appreciate you taking the time to write this review. I am pleased hearing that you had such an enjoyable time at Pelican Eyes. Your comments are appreciated, especially the ones about the staff. We look forward being you of service again in the future.

Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is at a top of a mountain, a few blocks from the beach. It has the best views in San Juan del Sur. The two Infiniti pools are amazing. The service is superb. Had a couples massage at the spa. Super relaxing!!!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Omar1
Dear,

First I would like to say that I am pleased hearing that you had such a wonderful time at our resort (and enjoyed the massage). Thank you for having taken the time to write this review. We look forward being you of service again in the future.

Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

There's nothing else one could ask for. Amazing views. Neat and comfortable accommodations. Food is really good, I personally recommend the ceviche. Had a great time at the pools while enjoying the view! And I have to say the service was outstanding, the people were very nice. Definitely best place in town!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Beverly_J88
Dear,

Thank you for your contribution and for having taken the time to write this review. I am glad to hear that you had such a pleasant stay at our resort. We really appreciate heartwarming comments like yours. We look forward being you of service again in the future.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

The food prices are higher than what I find in the US. - such examples were stale bread and too much oil on potatoes for breakfast. Eleven dollar hamburger that was dry, small and lacked taste. They need to adjust their prices to the other restaurants in town and hire a new chef.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Melissa C, Gerente at Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear customer,

Thank you for taking your time review our Cascada Restaurant, here at Pelican Eyes. Your opinion and business is important to us and we appreciate your business. I am surprised your dinning experience was so unpleasant, our burger tends to be a hit with customers. We invite you back to give us a second chance so that you can see why so many customers say we have the best burger in San Juan. Please do not hesitate contact me directly if you have any questions or concerns.

Best,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

The upper pool had a very good view and the "Casa Florida" was very nice & comfortable. The personnel is very friendly and helpful and they can take you anywhere within the city by car or out of San Juan del Sur. They also have a sailing trip on a 45ft Sail boat that they offer along with food, drinks, and ceviche.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Eduardo E
Dear,

Thank you for having taken the time to write this review. I am gratified hearing that you had such a good time at our resort. Also I am happy that you enjoyed our sail boat trip, it’s a service that we are proud of. We look forward being you of service again in the future.

Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is by far the best place to stay in Nicaragua and one of my preferred destinations in Central America. The vies and the bungalows are gorgeous. Though the paths are steep, there is always a car to take you where you need to go--into town, to the pool, or to your rental. The help is very friendly and go out of their way to make your stay pleasant. I am a regular at the Spa and highly recommend the deep massage. I will keep coming back!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view close to the upper pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Eric G
Dear,

Thank you for your contribution, I appreciate you taking the time to write this review. I am happy to hear that you had such a wonderful experience at Pelican Eyes and that you enjoyed all our services. I am pleased to hear you are a regular at the spa; we look forward seeing you again to offer you the service you have gotten to love.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan del Sur
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort
#15 of 24 in San Juan del Sur
4.0 of 5 stars 232 reviews

Been to Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!