Lots of steps - in fact! Up, up, and up.
I counted 79 steps to the "casa" I eventually ended in halfway up to the upper infinity pools and Bistro La Canoa. Which are too many stairs for me in tropical heat of 36 degrees centigrade. - The hotel, however, offers shuttle bus service to the Canoa restaurant and upper pools from the reception, so you do not even have to take the climb up there, but the climb in unavoidable to many "casas".
The staff is super friendly and the hotel and spa is upscale in many respects, but upkeep of the enormous property is often poor. The "casa", in which I was booked when I arrived, proved to have power supply problems, and I had to vacate it in complete darkness in the middle of the night. It took some time to find vacant, suitable other accommodation, and the transfer in complete darkness was not well arranged. I had to get back up to the first cottage next morning to retrieve things that were forgotten in the darkness.
Light bulbs are often burned out and not replaced, so that part of the climb is not lit, which can be extremely dangerous, as the bricks from which the steps are made are uneven and often crumbling. The steps are not always of the same height and in most cases not of the same width, as the walkways are twisting and turning.
I had to complain a few times before light bulbs were replaced to the pitch dark sectors of the climb to my "casa", and when light bulbs were being replaced, it appeared that they often did not work either! A flashlight is recommended.
The air condition in the accommodation which I had, was not working very well. The casa was hot, but the ceiling fan helped making it bearable. Beware of ants in and around the room. Do not spill any sweet drinks on the kitchenette counter or leave anything unopened. You will be amazed of the number and activity of ants it causes in a very short time!!
But is it definitely a unique place with breathtaking views and incredible, unforgettable sunsets from the upper infinity pools and with friendly members of the staff, who you will always remember with pleasure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa offers a stunning hillside location and panoramic views of San Juan del Sur and the ocean beyond. Our infinity pools, spacious accommodations, romantically lush gardens, wonderful restaurants, open air bars, and one-of-a-kind San Juan Del Sur coastline sailing adventure are a unique experience.A visit to our Tranquila Day Spa is an experience of sheer indulgence. We offer a menu of massage and body treatments to ensure that you truly relax on your romantic Nicaraguan getaway. Experience more of Nicaragua with day trips to Granada or the artisan markets in Masaya. Here at the resort, open air yoga classes, water aerobics, and active local excursions (arranged by our concierge) help keep you fit while visiting paradise. Even our brick stairs—winding up the hillside — contribute to the cause!Our San Juan del Sur hotel’s mission is to provide a unique and memorable Nicaragua vacation experience in every aspect of your stay. Our friendly staff endeavors to fulfill every possible need or special request (and to predict those wishes perhaps not yet even realized!)No request is too big or too small. Let us know what we can do to enhance your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Preferred Hotels, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Eyes Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hotel Pelican Eyes
- Resort Pelican Eyes
- Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur