“Affordable Nicaragua Luxury” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Cruz, California, United States
“Affordable Nicaragua Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Pelican Eyes Resort is amazing. It's far and away the nicest place I've ever stayed in Nicaragua. The staff was incredibly helpful and professional. The food and drinks were excellent -- their seafood and wine are not to be missed. The accommodations were grandiose. My private villa had towering ceilings, a full kitchen, a dining room with a large, tasteful painting by a local artist, air conditioning, large comfy beds, three bathrooms, a private driveway, and an expansive veranda with rocking chairs and epic views of the Pacific. Beautiful tropical flowers were everywhere; they obviously pay close attention to gardening and landscaping the grounds. The three different infinity pools are spacious and have amazing views of the town of San Juan and the bay, which is a short five-minute walk down the hill. The highlight of my stay was sailing on their private yacht to a secluded beach. Snorkeling, sailing, free drinks, ceviche, and tajadas... and then the captain dropped us off at a beach break for a surf on the way home and someone from the resort came and picked us up after sunset. I didn't make it to the spa but they have a spa in the resort that I heard was amazing and inexpensive. My friend went and got a treatment from their acupuncturist and chiropractor. My stay at Pelican Eyes was especially relaxing and comfortable. This type of resort is extremely hard to find in Nicaragua. The people in charge are doing a great job. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Each villa has different characteristics, i.e. some have more rooms, private driveways, ocean views...
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Our recent family trip to Nicaragua was planned to be an exploration of all that the country had to offer and to provide a much needed rest from the hustle and bustle of our day to day lives in the U.S. Once we arrived at the Pelican Eyes resort we were greeted warmly by staff who made us feel welcome and seemed to share our excitement at being in such a beautiful resort. When we got to our room I was taken back by the awesom views of the ocean and surrounding area of San Juan del Sur. The pools were cool, clean, and relaxing and also provided incredible views of the area. Staff was helpful in obtaining information concerning local beaches, horseback riding, and sailing tours, as well as top rated local restauraunts.
At pelican Eyes we got the vacation that we were wishing for and hope that others can take advantage of such a beautiful resort!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Daryl G
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This was probably my favorite hotel I have ever stayed at. The casas were gigantic and clean. Most importantly the service was unreal. I have never experienced the service that we had at Pelican Eyes. I remember Rigorberto doing a great job at both of our dinners. He made us feel really special on our honeymoon and he was very professional. He always seemed to be around at the perfect time and never was intrusive. The breakfasts were amazing as well.

Overall, I highly recommend to anybody looking to relax and enjoy a great hotel.

Room Tip: Casa El Faro was off to the side and seemed really private.
1 Thank Zack P
Managua, Nicaragua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Seriously. I stayed at Pelican Eyes with a group of friends and was incredibly impressed. The villa is really nice, has a really great kitchen for cooking, and an awesome view to wake up to. The beds are really comfortable, the bathrooms are nice, and the living room was only alright. The food at the restaurant (a short walk from your villa, depending on where you are actually located) was delicious, well worth the VERY long wait. However, both the A/C and oven (not stove) didn't function correctly...but the service staff was quick to arrive and resolve the problems. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Pelican Eyes resort...the infinity pool is awesome for San Juan's incredible sunsets. I repeat, incredible (:

Room Tip: check your A/C as soon as you check-in
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Just came home from one of the most relaxing vacations I have ever had-swimming around in the pools and the incredible few! The room/house were lovely and all of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Best margaritas in town! We will be going back soon!

Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

This resort has a wonderful location in a hillside overlookingthe town and the bay. Our rooms was very nice and a splendid location of the swimming pool. But they need to improve the routines for the towels. Why have numbers on the towel cards, when you can not find the key to give us right cards back? The hotel info told us to pay a high fee if we did not return the towel cards. The food in the restaurant was also just average. My beef was not tender.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jsaethre
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed at the Pelican Eye this past week for almost 3 days. I'm glad I didn't pay for a longer stay. The views from my hotel room was absolutely beautiful. The pools were nice and clean and the view also breathtaking. However, the hotel is not worth the $150 a night I paid for. First of all, I think they hadn't cleaned our room since the last person stayed there about 3 months ago. When I tried going to bed, and pulled the covers, I found two spiders in the bed and a few little bugs. I understand that when you open the door to the balcony you will have some bugs coming inside, but the staff should clean the room before the guests arrive. Also, the coffee maker and the microwave were disgusting. Now about the food...if you're not from Nicaragua and you're not really looking forward to enjoy true Nica food, then you will love the food there. But I'm originally from Nicaragua and I can tell you that the food is much better in other less upscale hotels in the country. I suggest you try "Delicious Peruvian', they had very delicious food (although Peruvian) but it was worth the money. Overall, I will not be staying at the Pelican again. I was told by a few natives that Palermo is a lot better and cleaner. However, it is not as close to town as the Pelican. But next time I go to San Juan del Sur, that's where we'll be staying.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank lovetraveling009
Melissa C, Guest Relations Manager at Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Pelican Eyes Resort and Spa. We appreciate your feedback. We are troubled by your experience, as this is not customary for our resort. If you could, please contact reservations@pelicaneyesresort.com, as our management team would like to speak with you personally about your stay.
Many thanks,
Aqua Wellness Resort
Aqua Wellness Resort
#1 of 1 in Playa Redonda
4.5 of 5 stars 491 reviews

Been to Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!