“blah”

GreenLeadersSilver level
BFBubbles
“blah”
Reviewed November 27, 2007

Stayed at PE lastweek. Nice enough place and staff, but lots of problems.

Phone/internet didnt work
phone didnt work
VERY sick from resort food
No hot water
construction
Power went out regularly

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank BFBubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
San Jose
Reviewed November 16, 2007

It was so hard to find and so worthwhile. We booked for three nights and stayed two weeks. My husband and I travel everywhere, all the time, bargains and top dollar, and we are rarely surprised, positively or negatively. We were overwhelmed here. So much for so little. And as they tell you up front, come for a vacation and stay for the people.

We’ve never met such truly hospitable staffers before. They love their jobs, they love their boss and they sure seemed to love us (and every other guest present.) From food servers to silent gardeners, they were kind, considerate, humble yet proud and giving.

This hotel is beautiful and they are building so much more. The owner is hard to find but when you do he’s a doll. Jiff, the manager, is all too willing to go out of her way and Douglas at the front desk will take your breath away. There are animals everywhere and we were delighted but yes, there were some folks who were not. There is an animal clinic there and they care for animals, people and who knows what all else. A great concept and so naturally part of the scene. The hotel is fronts an education foundation that has so many projects and worthy causes your heads will twirl.

We went on the local canopy(Flying Frog,) we rode horses, we went on the Pelican Eyes sailboat (Captain Jim is a treasure,) we went fishing, we went to the island of Ometepe, and we ate and drank way too much. The restaurants are fabulous and the food (the servings will knock you over not to say even embarrass you) was tremendous… as good as our favorite retreats at home.

You’ll meet local foreigners (some will even try and lure you away) and even they are nice and fun to be with. The hotel is all over a hill and Chris will tell you that they kiddingly call it the stairmaster. The place is really all over the hills. We were way up in the setting and we did have some power outages but we were warned and the staff was very good about helping us out. Chris you NEED irons in the rooms! Hey, but it was lovely to have someone else iron for me.

The architecture is stunning. The setting exceptional. The town delightful. The people inspirational. Enjoy this place and tell them we sent you. Can’t wait to go back.

• Liked — The staff and the beauty of the hotel
  • Disliked — No Iron, sorry Chris
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DoneDeal69
Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 2, 2007

I stayed at Pelican Eyes this past May (sorry for the late review) and I had a wonderful visit, but it did not come without a couple of issues. My friend booked the room directly through their website and called the hotel to provide a credit card number. Unfortunately, when we got there they had no record of our reservation and he had accidentally left the print confirmation at home. After first telling us that they were booked they were finally able to accomodate us in on of the newer villas at the very top of the mountain. It was not quite what we had reserved, but we decided to take it.

From that point on our visit was amazing. The villa they gave us was brand new, huge and beautifully decorated. The gardens and landscaping throughout the property were stunning. We had both a mountain and ocean view from our villa and only a short trek to the upper pool and bar/restaurant. Everyone who worked there was amazingly hospitable.

One thing I will caution on is that if you are unable to walk up hill for a long distance do not take a Villa too far up the mountain. The hotel has a system of stairs that lead you down to the main restaurant and access to the town, but the trek back up can be quite exhausting.

I enjoyed my time at Pelican Eyes very much and plan to visit again early next year. I would recommend it to anyone, but make sure to print a copy of your reservation confirmation.

P.S. As a side note for any gay travelers (as myslef) Nicaragua is not known for it's gay acceptance, but the Pelican Eys hotel staff and everyone in SJDS were VERY accepting and welcoming of myself and my partner. I never once encountered anyone with ill feelings towards us in SJDS or any where else in Niacaragua, of course keeping in mind that discretion and respect towords others should always be used.

• Liked — Clean, beautiful, if you get the whole villa they are huge, great decor
  • Disliked — It is a long hike if you stay at one of the villas at the top of the hill
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank rdlles
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed October 25, 2007

We honeymooned at Pelican Eyes and simply loved it. The staff is extremely accomodating, and the location is stunning. All drinks and food can just be signed to your room, making it unique for nicaragua. The food is FANTASTIC, and the included breakfast was a treat each day. We went on the canopy tour with "Da flyin Frog" and really enjoyed it; we also went to the beach at La Flor and watched sea turtles hatch -- organized by the hotel. The upper pool is great -- the view of san juan del sur is amazing. We felt very safe, also -- great job on security. The hotel picked us up exactly on time from our hotel in Granada in a new and very clean toyota 4 wheel drive with leather seats -- made the somewhat bumpy ride very comfortable. They also arranged transport to managua in the same vehicle, which was great. Also -- the cost of transport was paid in the total bill, so no haggling or paying the driver -- made it very relaxing and easy. I would recommend Pelican Eyes extremely highly!!

• Liked — the staff!! Anything you want, you can have!
  • Disliked — lots of stairs.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wvscott
San Pedro, Belize
Reviewed October 20, 2007

I have worked in hospitality for over 16 years and stayed in hotels all over the world. I have lived in the Caribbean and Central America for the past 8 years. I know there are challenges to living and traveling in Central America and electricity is one of them however the generator at Pelican Eyes would come right on and even ran the a/c! The food was excellent. The accommodations were superb. The staff was great. The bar was fabulous. The views outstanding and the Manager Chris was always available. I have been remiss in writing this review but I must say it should be #1 in San Juan del Sur. What a charming town and what a great resort. I would highly recommend it and hope to return.
Stacey, Belize

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MalibuStace
Austin
Reviewed August 18, 2007

I just loved my little 2 bedroom villa. Beautiful views -- lush landscape. Really nice gourmet chef. It was close to everything.

My children played with Monkeys at the animal shelter at the far end of the resort. Every morning they would wake up and run out of the villa to see "Cindy" the monkey.

Yes we did loose power one night. But we were there for 10
nights and it came back on during the night.

I would caution those with knee troubles -- there are wonderful rambling paths as the villas are built on a hillside. If you have there are a lot of steps-- although I enjoyed the rambling paths and landscape.

The staff was very nice and accomidating. I read some of the comments on the other reviews. If you thrive in a pretentious environment, then this is not the hotel for you. The hotel does attract an affulent crowd. And it is so beautiful The staff are obviously treated well because you can feel the genuine kindness from the staff. The environment is relaxed and casual. This is likely the best place in Nicaragua.

• Liked — I liked having an entire villa for a price less than a good hotel room in a major US city
  • Disliked — There were a lot of steps to get to my villa. I did understand that some of the villas were closer.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank AustinTexasTraveler
Sacramento, California
Reviewed August 15, 2007

I have already reviewed this property and have returned to it four times in the past year and a half. I am not fond of San Juan del Sur but I make the journey just to stay at Pelican Eyes. I decided to honeymoon in Nicaragua and one of the prime reasons was this unique hotel. I made my reservation months in advance and informed the clerk (via telephone) that it was my honeymoon and that I wanted a special room. I also asked to be booked on a Pelican Eyes sail during our stay. We checked into the hotel only to find that no one had booked us on the sailboat and the room they assigned us was one of the least appealing that I had stayed in over the course of my visits. The front desk did book us on a Friday sail but on Friday morning, over breakfast, before the departure, we were told that a private group had reserved the boat and didn't want additional passengers. We did end up going but it required some very stressful moments and hurt feelings. The front desk could have been more professional in handling this. The other issue I experienced during this stay is that the hotel charged us two massages when we had already paid for those services. Make sure to review your bill carefully.

As some have mentioned in the past, if you don't like animals, you probably shouldn't stay here. We were delighted to have the company of a wonderful kitty that spend each night with us in our room. We love animals and love that Piedras y Olas actually does something for the neglected animals of San Juan. Also, be aware that the electricity does go out at 7pm each night- Pelican Eyes has a generator, so it won't affect you there. This may mean having to eat more meals there than at some of the good (and cheaper) restaurants in town. Also, San Juan is not a particularly nice place to visit. If you travel to Nicaragua, make sure to visit the beautiful areas like Granada, León, Laguna de Apoyo, Little Corn Island. The beaches aren't too impressive in San Juan (though the sunsets are special).
I still think this is a unique property in Nicaragua and I hope the management provides more hopitality training to ensure a pleasant stay for all.

• Liked — unique decor, views
  • Disliked — I don't mind but it requires walking up steep areas, also some find animals a problem
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple