“Can't beat the view”
other travelers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
View from one of the bedroom patios
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
530WorldT...
United States
“Luxury pricing with dirty, hostel-like amenities”
Reviewed February 20, 2015 for a stay in February 2015
people found this review helpful

To give you a bit of background, we were traveling with a group of 8 total, some of whom are native Nicaraguans, and all of us stayed in various vacation rentals during our multi-week trip this year. We are all seasoned travelers who have stayed in places from hostels to luxury hotels. This rental was by far our least favorite vacation rental, for a host of reasons.

Let me start by saying that the property location itself is very beautiful, with a spectacular view. The house interior is also striking, as is the pool, but the positives of this vacation rental end there. What struck us at the very beginning was the lack of friendliness of the woman who lives on the property and acts as a cleaning person. When we arrived, she didn't introduced herself, and spent her time playing on her cell phone while we tried to figure out how to unlock the front door, even though she was standing a few feet away. One part of our group said she helped carry in a carry-on bag or two when they arrived, but was otherwise quiet and disinterested in saying hello or introducing herself.

Cleaning/bedrooms: When we arrived, there were dead bugs both on top of and IN the beds, which have no blankets, coverlets, or duvets (the beds literally just have sheets and nothing else, and blankets aren't located anyplace else in the house). There were large, multi-inch holes in some of the bedsheets. There were dead bugs and dust coating the bathroom counters when we arrived, and on almost every horizontal surface, including our night tables. The cleaning lady never cleaned up the dead bugs or dust while we were there... we ended up leaving a large dead bug near our bathroom sink (it was there when we arrived) to see if she'd cleaned, and it stayed there our whole trip. She also didn't make our beds two of the days, and the floor of the entire house was filthy dirty when we arrived. (To her credit, we saw her quickly mop the floor a few times during our stay, and she did the dishes that may have been left in the sink, but that was the extent of the cleaning). The upholstery was stained and dirty, and ill-fitting.

Bathrooms: The bathrooms come with ONE roll of toilet paper during your stay, and there's a note from the owner stating that each bathroom comes with one roll and anything more is the responsibility of the renter. Hold up... we're paying hundreds of US dollars to stay here per night, and we're allotted toilet paper like it's a hostel? That blows my mind. There were used soaps on each bathroom sink, all of which were covered with the hair of past guests... disgusting. The bathroom towels were like sandpaper and smelled absolutely horrible, and the cleaning lady never touched the towels or rearranged them throughout our stay. We realized after a few days that 'cleaning services' apparently meant something much different to her than to us... for example, the bathroom trash cans were never emptied during our stay (and FYI, be careful about scorpions... we found a little one under one of the trash cans when we finally emptied it ourselves because it had been left untouched by the cleaning person).

Air conditioning/water: The air conditioners in each room are different degrees of broken, turning on and off at will and making freight train-worthy noises constantly (the phantom power on/power off issue is unrelated to the rolling power outages that are common in the area). The water takes at least ten minutes to get warm (I'm not exaggerating), and then fluctuates between freezing and scalding for a few minutes before it returns to cold. There are also rolling water outages, but, again, this is to be expected in the area.

Basic amenities: There were other small things missing that would have made the house more vacation-rental friendly, like kitchen towels, a bag of coffee grounds for a morning cup o' joe, or pool towels. All of our other vacation rentals offered these things (and were beautifully maintained/cleaned), and were significantly less expensive.

Bottom line: There are spectacular vacation rentals all over the area; we recommend staying at one of those instead. The homeowner appears to have 'checked out' from the property and seems to have entrusted its cleanliness and success to a young woman who doesn't value customer service or basic cleaning/maintenance. Overall, we were disappointed by our stay here and do not recommend it.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Feb 20, 2015
Paola and Family,

Again, I am so very sorry you had such an awful experience. New sheets and blankets are en route as we speak. Cleaning standards will be discussed and remedied. Karla our housekeeper is by nature a quiet women who stays out of the way as much as possible as to not intrude on a guest's vacation. Most guests find this a plus as they can feel at home in the house. This is the first time I have had someone find fault with the house and/or staff and I am understandably upset and shocked. I am flying down this coming week and you can be assured that there will be some changes happening. Again, I'm very sorry.

Kait
FaithfulT...
Camarillo, California
“Lovely House Managed Very Poorly”
Reviewed February 19, 2015 for a stay in February 2015
person found this review helpful

El Arbol de Limon in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua is a lovely house with a gorgeous view. It is a pity that it is so poorly managed. Our family stayed there for 3 days. The house was never cleaned properly, toiletries were not provided in the bathrooms; instead we found used bars of soap covered with hairs; half the light bulbs were out in my bedroom; refrigerator had no ice maker; there were no covers on the beds (bedspreads, comforters, blankets), bed sheets had one inch holes; there were dead flies and dead bugs on floors and beds; one toilet leaked water all night and when supposedly fixed dripped water continuously on the floor. The owners should pay more attention to their beautiful house and have it better managed.

Traveling group: Other
Your age range 65+
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Feb 20, 2015
Paola and family,

I am so sorry that you found the house to be in such a state. We usually just have the beds made up with a top and bottom sheet as it is so hot. As it turns out I am traveling down this coming week and and bringing blankets for the beds. As far as holes in the sheets this is completely unacceptable and I have already spoken to our house manager to remedy the problem. We are a vacation rental not a hotel or bed and breakfast so you are indeed responsible for supplying your own toiletries, as it says on the listing. We have ice trays in the freezer to make ice, I'm sorry we do not have an American style frigde/freezer with a built in ice maker. Bugs are a part of life but you are correct they should not be any on your bed, I will make sure that our housekeeper is informed and a higher standard is kept. As you had my personal email and we have had multiple email conversations I wish you would have taken the time to email me at the first sign of distress so that I might had had the opportunity to fix the problems that you had.

Kait

Luxury-minded travelers
Toronto
Reviewed March 2, 2014 for a stay in February 2014

Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers
Toronto
Reviewed February 23, 2014 for a stay in February 2014

A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
Feb 23, 2014
Thank you for reviewing El Arbol de Limon.

I am glad you had so many pros on your list but I would like to address the cons/recommendations so that we may better serve future guests.

-I am sorry we do not have a welcome note or book out. I will remedy that right away. Usually, guests arrive during the daytime and Denise is able to go with them to the house to get them all settled in.

-You booked though this website and numerous emails were sent to let you know that you needed to complete the transaction before (or when, as we have wifi) you arrived though the website. Flip Key/ Trip Advisor sent them as well as myself to remind you. I am sorry there was such a huge miscommunication , I have now reworded how I let guests know what will happen when they book because of this. I don't want anyone to feel as if they are not sure of what will happen.

-Yes, the house is located up a hill. We love the location because it is away from it all. I will make sure to let people know that the walk does include it.

-We stock all the bathrooms with a roll of toilet paper but you are responsible for providing any additional that you may need. I spoke with Denise about the water and she said that you went through the entire 5 gallons of drinking water in the first day or two because you were using it for cooking as well because some of the girls you were staying with had never traveled before and were nervous. I assure you that the water is perfectly suitable for cooking, brushing teeth etc. It is not city water, it comes from a well.

-As far as food goes I assumed you knew that you needed to provide your own as it is a rental house not a bed and breakfast or hotel.

-I don't think speaking Spanish is necessary. If everyone only went to places that they spoke the language it would not be much of an adventure!

Again, thank you for letting us know your concerns. It makes a huge difference because now we know what we need to improve on to make future guests as happy and possible.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing
;