Open today: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Great first time surfer experience!

Reviewed May 14, 2018
natalie g
Toronto, Canada
Master instructors!

Reviewed May 11, 2018
Meighan F
Canada

All reviews beach bar surf school these guys surfing experience surf shop cruise ship eduardo wave lesson board surfers sjds shuttle crew
Reviewed May 22, 2018

My friend and I booked lessons with Moke Huhu, neither of us had ever surfed before and were nervous. Our instructor was incredible, made everything very easy to understand and my friend and I both got up on our waves each time - couldn't have been happier about the surfing experience!
Definitely bring snacks and lots of water with you.
My one negative point: they say that you have a shuttle to come back to SJDS whenever you want, but that just isn't the case. You have to stay at Remanso until around 5 and the group (even though you don't know the rest of the group that well) has to all leave together as they won't do 2 trips... Would have been good to know ahead of time!!!

Reviewed May 14, 2018

Eduardo and Osmond not only got us all standing but they taught us all about how to surf without them. I was a bit afraid of the waves at first but their instructional approach and continuous coaching had me heading out for more from the very beginning. I'm so happy with the 3 day introduction from Moke Huhu. The comfortable beach bar didn't hurt either. Great service, friendly smiles, cold drinks. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed May 11, 2018

Myself and 3 friends treated ourselves to a 3 day surf camp for our 40th birthdays. It was such an incredible time we are planning to make this an annual event. As a former competitive athlete at the national level I feel like I know a top coach when I meet one and Osmon is certainly the real deal. He taught us the required skills to surf in bite size chunks. It was always challenging but never beyond our capabilities (which were nil at the start). By day 4 we were on our own spotting waves and riding them!

Mario at the bar kept us refreshed with ice cold beer and fabulous fish tacos. No other surf school had a covered area on the beach and this was an absolute must for us. I also loved the tunes.

Eduardo has built a truly top notch surf school. I wouldn't consider trying anywhere else. I can't wait for my kids to be 6 years old so they can come to camp too!

Reviewed May 5, 2018 via mobile

Our surf lesson was really only an hour and a half since we didn’t get to the beach until after 930am, but it was good and we enjoyed the pointers. The boards and licra shirts they have are super old/worn. Bring your own snacks/food and plenty of water! They keep you at their beach bar until 5pm and the food is way overpriced (we ate lobster for a fraction of the price the night before). The bar had a water jug for refills but there wasn’t much in it and they wouldn’t let us fill our bottles. We also didn’t realize we had to stay until 5pm. Our group was ready to head back to town around 2-3 but Eduardo was no where to be found and the bartender who had picked us up with Eduardo refused to call him. It took everyone asking numerous times to get any kind of response and they were all obviously annoyed that we were ready to leave and didn’t want to spend anymore money at their bar. The ride home was rather awkward. That being said, it was still a great way to spend the day.

Reviewed May 2, 2018

During our stay in San Juan del Sur, we took part in one of Moke Huhu´s "Beginners Surf Lesson". We got picked up from our accomodation on time by Eduardo, the owner, and went with him to a cute little bar, which was located on the beach of Playa Remanso. There we first had a refreshing soft drink at the bar, before we were equipped with surfboards and a shirt.

The first 30 minutes we spent with the boards on the beach, while Eduardo was teaching us the most important surfing rules and how to stand up on the board to catch the perfect wave in the water. After that, we went into the water to try the learned theory in real life and we were really suprised, that we were able to stand our first wave during our first surfing lessons. That was way more, than we expected. Eduardo and Diego, the other instructor, helped us with useful tips on what we have to do and what we need to improve.

After the two-hour-guided-lesson we were allowed to use the surfboards during the rest of the day for free, so that we could try everything we learned today on our own, which was great fun. After that, we had some drinks at the beach bar and enjoyed watching the other surfers from one of their hammocks.

We had a great day and can recommend this experience to everyone. You won´t regret it.

Reviewed April 30, 2018

We booked and pre-paid for a surf lesson with More Huhu for the day our cruise ship was in San Juan del Sur. The night before we were set to arrive the ship was re-routed to a different port. We were so disappointed that we wouldn't be able to surf. I immediately contacted Moke Huhu to let them know we were not going to be able to do the lesson. Within minutes, Moke Huhu replied to let us know they would refund our money. And they did it...instantly.

While we can't really comment on the quality of the lesson, we can tell you that this place is honest, upstanding, and well run. If you are looking for a solid outfit to use for your surf lessons in SJDS, go with Moke Huhu. We'll be booking with them again when we have a chance to return to SJSD!

Reviewed March 29, 2018

I booked 3 days surfing off the back of the Trip Advisor reviews and I absolutely loved it.
Osmann (bossmann) is a brilliant instructor, and within 15 mins I was up on my surf board. The lessons were sold as 2hr lessons, but we spent all day at the beach surfing. There's a beach hut where you can keep all your belongings safe, and the guys there pour a generous Rum & Coke! I could off spent all week there...so thank-you Osmann! Michaela, Michaela

Reviewed March 14, 2018 via mobile

Had the best two days with these guys! Osmann was such a good teacher!!!!!! Super chilled- ended up staying both days until sunset surfing throughout the day and chilling by their little bar (with rum and hammocks!!) not just a 1.5 hour lesson and straight back to town kind of thing!! Also delicious fish tacos at the little restaurant next door

Reviewed January 24, 2018 via mobile

The guys were amazing! Set up a little bar on the beach with music, food and cheap drinks! The lessons were fantastic! This is no 2 hours at the beach, we went from noon and then watched the sun set before heading back after 6pm! Best time we had in San Juan

Reviewed January 24, 2018

Had a great experience with these guys. Several important things to note.

- This surf school is owned and run by locals (that is not common but a big plus).
- You should see the wall of trophies from the owner. This guy is legit.
- Their english is some of the best we've heard in the whole town and we've been here a month
- They're the only surf shop on Remanso beach with their own cabana for their students to rest. Shade, hammocks, food, drinks. It's very political on the beach and most surf shops can't set something like that up....but they were able to make it happen.
- They love what they do. You could tell they were having just as much fun as us while they were teaching
- They were very hands on and personal. My wife and I were up and riding waves within 20 minutes.

Surf shops are a dime a dozen in San Juan del Sur, but we lucked out using the crew at Moke Huhu.