“Super interesting!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Super interesting!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

I am giving 5 stars more for this young cook's efficiency, creativity and the coolness than for the curries. The dude is from Berlin and his modest little place has two long tables with benches and two small round tables. So, if you go around 6.30-7.00 p.m. the place is packed. This happened to us, so we went to get a cocktail first and let the people finish their meals. When we returned one hour later, the place was still packed and some of the same people were still hanging out. But, some of them moved around to give us space to sit. So, I would say it is a popular spot for young people, mostly western tourists on a small budget. The menu, which was only in English had very interesting main dishes, drinks, and desserts. The food was dirt cheap at the time of writing, in January 2014.

Markus, the chef had lived in Asia and learned Asian cuisine. He has modified Asian dishes to a Western Palate and it is very interesting how creatively he has done it. I personally did not find the curries to be very authentic Asian, but it was all very tasty. He tries to make it organic and presents it in a nice manner. The plate in front of you shows that he really loves to cook. We found out that he actually studied culinary arts in Germany.

What impressive was how he managed to cook every thing by himself in the little kitchen right in front of the dining area. There was a young woman taking orders, cutting fruits etc, but the solo chef was super busy keeping in mind which order came first, second and third etc.

We also ordered a dessert, pancake with fruit and we had to wait a while because there were other people who had ordered their main dishes. When they were served, then came our dessert. It was presented so nicely, a creative piece of work, and best of all, it was delicious!

Then he stepped outside for a cigarette, but in less than 5 minutes had to throw it away because there was another customer. I asked him how he could do all this by himself and he said it was especially busy that night. He also joked that he should probably hike the prices to have bit more breaks.

I somehow do not see this happening. It was an interesting evening!

1 Thank SunnyW358

San Jose, California
“A Typical Place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

With only 3 tables this place looks crowded when 2 people are there. I had the lobster with vegtables (mostly potatos). The lobsters were the smalllest tails I have ever seen about as big as your little finger. I would never go back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
“Best food in Nicaragua, and some of the best ever.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I spent 8 days in Nicaragua and had a lot of great meals at ridiculously good pries. King Curry was by far the best experience I had in a restaurant in that country and one of the best in the world honestly. The food, drinks and desserts were phenomenal and this place was a tiny little chill spot that was so easy to miss. There's only like three tables in there, and you can see the master chef hard at work in the room attached to where you are sitting. Absolutely great experience and the best swordfish I think I've ever had. If you are in San Juan del Sur, you have to try this place at least once!

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Authentic food & Allergy friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

The owner is also the chef. Simply put his dishes are a reflection of his experiences around the world. I am Indian and I loved his dishes (spicy if you want it). I also have some allergies and the chef is certified. I highly recommend!!!

• Visited September 2013
Leon, Nicaragua
“So good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

The young guy that owns this place was working all alone on the night we went in, but he managed to get all of our food and drinks out in an impressive amount of time. All the curries were amazing and the coffee was so weirdly delicious. The pasta was boring but thats forgivable as this place is meant for curry. One of my best meals in Nicaragua.

• Visited October 2013