“Just had drinks but good ones”

Howler Bar & Restaurant
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Description: Located on the beach; our vibe is chill, fresh and our goal is to serve unique savory food and fresh music while you lounge around during the day and party late into the night. Authentic, rich and flavorful food, infused rum cocktails and smoothies from 11am to 3am, comfy/cool/outside seating, wi-fi, on the street kitchen/juice bar, live music, dancing, cinema nights, special events, swinging beds and more...
London, United Kingdom
“Just had drinks but good ones”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My wife and I just popped in to have some drinks and enjoy the beautiful ocean view. We both ordered fresh juices ($2 each) which tasted good, and were reasonably sized.
Staff members were friendly and the place had a nice vibe to it.

I would come back here again.

• Visited March 2014

Bend, Oregon
“Great Set Up”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I didn't see the place on a busy night so I got to fully experience the bar without mushy brained San Juan Del Surians. The interior is great. I went in and watched a surf video on Sunday to enjoy a mellower vibe. Definitely going to check this place out again next time I'm in SJDS. I bet it pops off with live music.

Visited February 2014
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have done several reviews on Tripadvisor, both restaurant and lodging. Never have I written a bad review.......until now. My daughter and her family live in San Juan del Sur and I have been visiting a couple times a year for 6 years. I usually spend a couple of months at a time. Our visit to Howler was without doubt the worst restaurant experience I have had in San Juan del Sur. After waiting 45 minutes for our sandwiches I went to whom I thought was the manager, but he identified himself as the owner. I asked if there were something he could do, and he simply said no, we are busy. They were not. He had been sitting at the bar drinking and watching TV for the 45 minutes we had waited. We decided to pay our bar bill and leave as the kids were falling asleep in their chairs. At that point he got incredibly rude and verbally abusive, criticizing my grandchildren, who were extremely well behaved. I have never experienced anything like this before.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Danrenner
RyanTeixeira, Owner at Howler Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
This customer receives a review of one black star for not being a cool person. What's conveniently missing from the story are the two groups of 12-15 people who ordered food right before they sat down, hence causing the delay. Also missing is their kid that was running around the bar throwing our darts at walls without the dart board...and then they managed to shatter a full glass of wine on the ground...and get this, the lady in the group snarled out more cocktail orders while the mess was being cleaned up, "Heeeeey! when can I get another cocktail????"

How do I know his? I, the owner, quietly cleaned the mess up because staff was busy cooking and making drinks. I asked her to wait on the cocktail order until I finished picking up all the glass and soak the wine stained cushions in water...then I went back to make sure she got her cocktail order to discover my bartender personally attended to the request when I was cleaning. Good work Harold! Admittedly, I was sauced out, it was the end of about 14-15 hours of work that day/night and that's not a reason for me to be rude at all, which is why I wasn't...yet.

What's also missing from this story is how he voiced his complaint. What did he say after I just cleaned the shattered glass up, mopped the floor, reorganized the furniture, made sure the lady's drink order was taken and stopped the kid from throwing darts in my walls? What did he say to me after he clarifies I'm the owner?

He pats me on the back and says, "So are you going to sit on your a## all night while we wait for our food or what?"

He was lucky I didn't punch him in the nose.

Instead, I calmly said there was nothing I could do other than check on the order. He scoffed, got upset and walked off butt-hurt; clearly this guy needs more yoga in his life. When he returned to pay his drink tab three minutes later, and not pay for the food that was now ready...I did call him out for behaving like a boy and not having any "class". He was outraged for sure. I would be upset with myself too if I was sixty something years of age, still haven't figured out how to interact with the world in kind and completely lied about what happened on a forum in attempt to punish the person that put me in my place.

Our policy for dealing with rude and disrespectful customers is to be kind and polite the first interaction, try to solve their problem if we can and provide respectful service regardless. If any customer verbally abuses or disrespects the facilities or staff after the first interaction, we have a zero tolerance policy. This guy is lucky I was tired and he was old. To be fair, my staff could of come out and apologized for the delay in the food orders...and that's an awareness we are improving on when the kitchen or bar gets backed up.

Hopefully customers that read this gotta a little laugh and will practice awareness, being cool, lowering expectations when traveling in Nicaragua and not taking their service/travel experiences so seriously....realize it's a different culture, a different people and different rules here...the service industry is tough in the rural areas because the staff live their entire lives without ever experiencing service for themselves...therefore they never fully understand it which makes it hard for them to even think about apologizing for a delay in food delivery when you are spending their entire daily wage on the food combo they just prepared for you.
Whitehorse, Canada
“Alright place for lunch”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We came here 2 times for lunch. The menu is very small and hardly offers any variety of foods but the quality of the food is really good and preperation is excellent! The smoothies were alright. The service pretty slow, but friendly. Reasonable prices.
At night time this place seems to be very popular! -But as we travel with children, we don't party out at night.

• Visited January 2014
“Chill out and lounge, or get rowdy. This bar has the best of both worlds”
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

We did not try any of the food, but were all about the cocktail menu. Fancy drinks aside, the atmosphere was perfect for just about any type of consumption. The front of the bar has more of a club vibe; disco ball and all. The back of the bar is the ultimate chill out zone, sporting hammocks, a large screen cinema (playing endless surf films), and a massive 10-person tree swing.

Visited January 2014