“The best of both worlds”
Review of Hotel Alcazar

Hotel Alcazar
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
Reviewed May 31, 2013

During my trip research, I kept coming back to Hotel Alcazar as a potential place to stay while in San Juan Del Sur. I couldn't wrap my head around how a place with such a great price ($69/night but, it's off season) could look so luxurious and enticing. It's a good thing I followed my instincts and passed on Pelican Eyes to stay with them during my time in town.

The rooms are magnificently adorned with modern furnishings. Not a single piece of particle board in the place-- real wood, real craftsmanship. The air conditioning is as cold ice. The linens are soft and clean. And the view from my balcony was stunning! I had a gorgeous view of the town, beach and the jesus statue.

Marion and the staff there are angels. They kept my keys for me during the days I attempted to surf and even went as far as waking up me to ensure I made it to my airport shuttle on my last day there.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat and urge you to book there if you're even considering it. The only downsides are the occasional construction or town noises. It's certainly not the place for you if you're thinking about sleeping in.

But don't let that deter you. It's the best way to combine comfort and luxury, while staying in town near the restaurants and action. Simply put, it's the best of both worlds (which isn't usually case in SJDS).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank magmalux
There are newer reviews for Hotel Alcazar

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are nice. We were there in the "off season" so rate was good. The only caution is that because of the clubs and hostals nearby, it was a bit noisy (loud music) at night. They are working on the adjacent building so there was construction noise during the day. Views from the rooms are great and it is well situated across from the beach with several good restaurants nearby. One can walk just about anywhere in that town. So overall, I found the place to be very good.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank wander2010
Reviewed May 19, 2013

After three nights at Pelican Eyes I wanted to get closer to the the city and the beach. After walking around SJDS I had already determined that the Alcazar was a great location. I stopped in and met Marion the onsite manager and she showed me a room and around the building. I was quite impressed. Amazingly clean, very comfortable beds and linens, WIFI, TV, and a well stocked and tastefully done bathroom. The most amazing thing about this room was the balcony (if you can call it that). It was almost as big as the room had a wicker couch and two chairs. A ceiling fan, curtains and a great view. Interestingly the amenities basket held ear plugs. I assumed that this was because of the location on the main strip. I was never bothered by the street noise but was tempted to use the plugs in the twilight hours when the bird started their morning ritual calls. Coffee in the morning - small but cool pool. I HIGHLY recommend The Alcazar.

3  Thank Kdog D
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Before going to San Juan del Sur, my friend and I scoured the internet, reading review after review looking for the perfect place to stay. We almost passed this gem up but late on a Tuesday night, an availability popped up on Expedia - $69/night! After looking at the pictures and googling the location, we booked. As soon as we got there, we were more than impressed by our room. Eco-friendly and stylish furnishings with a minimalistic sense of style. One of the very few times that reality went beyond the nice, staged pictures! It really felt like we were in a boutique hotel. A hotel like this would cost 7 times more in NYC and would be the size of the balcony alone! We were definitely lucky. The accommodations and very knowledgeable staff made our first time visit to Nicaragua a pleasant one.

Room Tip: If you have any questions about what to do (like the safety of hiking up to see El Cristo), then Ma...
2  Thank melissa m
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We checked out after a terrible stay at Casa Pelon in Marsella. We found this on Expedia for $70 and nervously booked. We were so delighted at what we found. First this hotel back home in the USA should be $250 per night. It has the best and safest location in SJDS wih amazing ocean views. The rooms are gorgeous with beautiful furnishings and remote controlled AC. The balcony has plush seating and a gorgeous fan. There is no way any hotel in SJDS measures up! The staff is very kind and helpful. They truly were thoughtful and always willing to help as well as just being plain old nice. I hope we can afford we stay when we come back because there is no way this place will continue at this great rate :)

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank love2travelfromnc
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Randomly found this hotel after talking to some people in town who raved about it and I am so glad I did. Ended up staying three nights here and could not recommend it higher. First of all, the place just looks cool. Very kind of modern/tropical design, not like anything else in San Juan del Sur. Great beds, views, details and the staff was perfect. They had excellent recommendations for everything from surf spots to dinner spots and went out of their way when I had some trouble with an airport shuttle. Thank you Marion and all the staff at Alcazar!

Room Tip: If you can get the penthouse, do it. It opened up on my last night and I splurged (a little) and go...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Christian D
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great spot with great staff. Right on the beach with a nice pool in the back to hang out at. Rooms were cleaned promptly without disruption.

Things to know: Located right next to a club that stays open late one night a week. Earplugs provided by the hotel.

2  Thank Allan S