“My New Year reservations got double booked !!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Del Mar

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Casa Del Mar
You added Casa Del Mar to your Saves list
Montreal, Canada
“My New Year reservations got double booked !!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I absolutly don´t recommand this place.
I made reservations a month and a half in advance for the 30 december, and when we showed up our room had been given to someone else who was ready to pay double the price because of the New Year celebrations.
No other room was available, and we didn´t get reembursed right away. The owner of the place was very rude and unaccomodating.
We then had to walk around for 3 hours to finally crawl into the worst dump of a room available in town.
This place doesn´t even deserve 1 star !

Room Tip: just don´t go to this crappy place !
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The worst points for us that made us leave after a night was that the beds were very uncomfortable, and the shower was pretty mouldy. It does have a great location, right by the beach... Recommend you order the paella in advance, they have cold beers. Lovely lady, but it wasn't great by any stretch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these San Juan del Sur hotels

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Clean rooms - excellent friendly staff - perfect location by the beach.
Tremendous bar with great drink specials and if you order in advance the best paella you can ever imagine. What a great stay we had so we stayed an extra 2 days!!!!
You can't go wrong and you have to tell all your friends to stay here too.
A very nice kitchen and the breakfast was included.
All the other places in town should study this place to figure out to treat people right.

Room Tip: We stayed in the dorms but the privates are nice if you can get one.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Matt H
Wexford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Myself and three friends spent three nights in Casa Del Mar in July. Its a small hotel that's more like a hostel in many ways! It had some good and bad points but over all we enjoyed our stay.
The main pros were the location and the mojitos! Its located right opposite the beach, there is also a quirky bar full of ex-pats right opposite where we spent our evenings! and the mojitos! they were unreal, i honestly don't think Ive ever had nicer! Nothing better than relaxing out the front of the hotel watching the sunset with one of these. The spanish owner cooks paella each evening for a reasonable price which also looked lovely.

The main negative here were the beds. We stayed in a 6 bed dorm between four of us. The matresses were so hard I wouldn't have been able to stay much longer than 3-4 days, on our last night one of us even chose to sleep outside on a hammock! Another day we 'got in trouble!' for having our own food which was bought for a boat trip that day. Not really a problem for us ...and i suppose it's a policy that most hotels have... just something for budget travelers to be aware of if they are looking for a more hostel type place where they can make their own snacks and bring their own drinks.

Overall I think the cheap price, the mojitos and the location won me over and would recommend this hotel/hostel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Gunnison, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

A month in San Juan Del Sur, and three hostals later I finnaly found my home away from home. What drew me into this place at first was its prime location next to the beach. My friend broke her flip flop and we needed to sit down for a bit because the pavement was way to hot to walk, so we went to Casa del Mar for the 2 X 1 Mojito deal. Two mojitos later the owner, an amazing woman from Spain, gave my friend a pair of shoes so she could walk back to our hostal safely. After this act of kindness we moved from Casa Oro, where we were crammed into dorms like sardines, to Casa del Mar. This was my first real sleep since I had been in Nicaragua. No waking up from sweats or noisy neighbors. This place is a great price, tranquil enviornment, sublime energy, and the best mojitos in Nicaragua. I highly recomend this beach front hostal to any backpacker traveling to San Juan del Sur.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank anna p
Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I have been living in Nicaragua for about a year and a half, and last month, for the first time ever, somewhat sceptically, I made it to San Juan del Sur.

Without planning I came across Casa del Mar and decided to stay there, I was very happy with my decision.

The hostal is perfectly located, right opposite the beach and a couple of beach-front bars. The place is clean and the dormitories are nice, with new and comfy mattress, although could do with a couple of extra fans. At $7 for the night, I was very happy, especially as the people staying in dorms were spread out across the 3 different dorms that the hostal has, instead of packing everyone into one dorm, which is often what happens.

The Spanish owner is very friendly and makes a very good effort to make all guests feel very welcome.

I would certainly recommend this place, and without a doubt will stay there again the next time in San Juan.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo