Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:30 PM

Reviewed March 5, 2018
BackpackingBakers
London, United Kingdom
via mobile
Perfect for a week rental

Reviewed January 4, 2018
JeremyM1451
Vancouver, Canada

All reviews these guys board instructor surf beach sjds crew
Reviewed March 5, 2018 via mobile

Had a great experience with the guys here. We took lessons out on Playa Hermosa beach which had great beginner and advanced waves.

The instructor was thorough and stayed in the water longer that paid for to get those extra couple of waves.

$35 pp for 90 minute lesson, board, wetsuits and return journey.

Recommended.

Reviewed January 4, 2018

Guys were super helpful, picked the boards up at the beginning of the trip, and they gave us a heads up on a few spots. Boards were in great shape too.

Reviewed December 9, 2017 via mobile

It seems many of the bad reviews seem to be related to the manager here - or to one manager in particular. There could be more than one but I'm hoping there's only one person this horrible at this shop.
Well I too had one of these experiences and they need to fire this guy. If you go to this place try avoid the short mean looking guy. I'm not confrontational and neither is my friend, but this guy out of nowhere started accusing us to be sh*t surfers and drug addicts (neither is true) when we made an honest complaint about a service (insanely unfair ding repair price). He then admitted to us - for no reason - that he drinks every day, he is an alcoholic and he doesn't care. He blatantly robbed the money and then taunted us when we saw him around the town at nights. I did, however; meet other workers in this shop who were pleasant but dealing with a complaint we were forced to deal with this guy. Not good times.

1  Thank Daithí H
Reviewed October 4, 2017

Let me preface by saying that I have lived in San Juan for a total of four and a half months this year and have rented surf boards and used beach transportation from just about everyone in town: OneLove, Casa Oro, O'Shop, and more. Out of all of the many, many options to choose from in San Juan, Good Times is definitely the best option. All of the staff members are incredible, extremely friendly, and very fun. The location is great, the boards are nice, the shuttles are always on time, and the store always gives out good vibes. Highly, highly recommend this place to any surfers looking to go to San Juan, and when my friends come to visit me in March, I will definitely make sure that they learn to surf with Good Times, as the surf instructors are very good, experienced, and extremely fun as well!!!

Reviewed July 31, 2017 via mobile

Dave and the crew were amazing. We had 14 children to look after and Dave, Donovan and his instructors were brilliant with the kids. Taught them all about being safe in the water first before they were allowed in it. Nearly all our kids were surfing by the end of the day and all of them had a fantastic day. Highly recommend this for a young group of children to put you at ease and feel safe in their hands.

Reviewed May 30, 2017

I should have paid more attention to the negative reviews about the shop. I rented a board while visiting SJDS to surf at Maderas. I will preface this story by saying that I have been surfing for over 10 years, have surfed double overhead hurricane swells, and owned dozens of different boards of my own; in short, I'm not a kook.

The process of picking up the board was great, the two employees were pleasant and helpful. On the paddle out at Maderas I felt the nose buckle underneath me on a duck dive, and when I looked at it, had a minor buckle the entire way across the board right above a previously repaired buckle. Never even made it out to surf, turned back and ended up getting a (pretty beat up) board from the shacks on the beach.

I returned to the shop with the board that evening to a different set of staff, and the first thing I did was explain what happened and that I didn't even surf on the board because of the failure. Immediately, the guy working blows up on me telling me I'm a liar and an idiot, that he surfs so he 'knows' my story is impossible. I agree to pay for the ding repair solely on the fact that my passport is being held hostage by this guy (which he mentioned in as many words). He comes back to tell me that the repair will be $70 USD, which is insane. I asked to speak with the ding repair guy and the employee refused (he had been texting with him and sent a picture, and would not even let me see the text where the guy said the cost). In the end I honestly had no choice but to pay as my passport was being held ransom.

It doesn't end here though. Later that night we were having quesadillas at a food stand and the shop employee shows up and immediately starts acting aggressively towards our group of friends. The guy running the food stand asks whats going on, as we had been chatting and friendly with him for about 15 minutes at this point, and the shop employee tells this guy that I tried to cheat my way out of a $40 ding repair (!), but speaking in Spanish thinking I don't understand him. $40 sounds a little more reasonable for the ding repair, so I can only imagine that this guy pocketed $30.

All in all, there is so many surf shops in SJDS, I have no idea how these guys can even stay in business by acting like this. I will never go back, and any one I've told has already avoided it.

Reviewed January 17, 2017

Good Times Surf Shop is awesome. Staff is friendly, honest, and accommodating. They are true to their word and have an instructor for every 2 surfers - in fact, one day they sent me out with an instructor on my own as I was the only one not comfortable to go to the lineup. That's awesome. I've been to other places where they would pressure me to stay with the rest so they didn't have to send out another instructor. I don't really understand some of the negative feedback towards the owner - David. He's a great guy. He's running a business so of course he's serious. We found him helpful, courteous, knowledgable with a great sense of humour. His shop is the best in San Juan Del Sur by far. All the staff are great - but I'll give a shout out to Nestor, Wesley, John and Juan Jose. They provided great instruction but also advice. One day we were excited to go first thing in the morning but they were honest and said the waves wouldn't be good. They offered to take us if we wanted to go early and they would have. So it wasn't like they just saying that so they didn't have to go. I highly recommend this surf shop. Others put too many in a group which is unsafe and frankly makes the learning process slower.

Reviewed January 3, 2017 via mobile

After spending a few days trying to find the right board for me. I met the owner David. He is wonderful and very knowledgeable. All the people who work here are experienced and friendly. Willing to go above and beyond to help you out. I git the board I wanted and was treated Wilke family. Don't bother going any where else if you are looking for gear or lessons. They do shuttles services and have all your needs available in store.

Reviewed July 13, 2016

After buying a board off of them (because they would not rent it to us) they promised to buy it back 4 days later at a reduced price ($100 less) as long as it was in the same condition. When we returned, the American manager did not even remember making that deal and said that the board was in far worse condition then to when we bought it, which it wasn't. We bought this board from them for $350, with the promise that they would buy it back for $250. When we returned and they complained about the damage, they would not even take $150 for it. The American owner/manager said he was trying to pay off credit card bills so he would not be buying anything. This shows that he was clearly lying in the first place and never intended to buy the board back for $250.

It is a shame because the store seemed nice, with some good products. However, the lack of honesty and the total arrogance and rudeness displayed by the owner/manager was a huge disappointment and means that I cannot suggest this place to anyone.

Reviewed May 10, 2016 via mobile

I'm traveller i stayed in sant juan del sur. I met very interesting people mostly in the good time surf shop. They are very nice guys and they help me a lot. The shop has so good armosphere. They rent cool boards also they have some for sale. If you come to this village and think about surfing. Good time surf is a great to go with.