“Paradise on the beach”
Review of Yajure Surf Hostel

Yajure Surf Hostel
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Best hostel I've ever been to. Great staff, a mellow atmosphere and the friendliest owner who made it impossible to leave! There's a great quality kitchen for everyone to make their own meals, as a group or individuals and I was even impressed by a authentic Argentina meal provided by one of the amazing chefs/employees at the hostel. I awoke to the sound of waves crashing on the shore. Absolute paradise! Definitely coming back here. Chely, you're awesome!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica T
There are newer reviews for Yajure Surf Hostel

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Backpackers going through Nicaragua I would highly recommend Yajure hostel in San Juan del Suer. I didn't know a single thing about the the town nor about the hostel and actually the location is amazing and (Chely) the owner is a really good guy 'Super Pana' as we used to call him. If you are crossing from Costa Rica and you plan to go to San Juan del Sur, you tell the driver or ask in the street to guide you to the bridge (the only one in town).

Enjoy your stay!!!
Nicaragua es tuani

Room Tip: You can Sleep wherever you want even at the living room while you have an amazing view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Arnaldo V
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I went to San Juan del Sur with friends and stayed at Yajure for one night. It was a really nice experience: the location is beeeautiful, the rooms were clean and the hosts were super friendly. My friends and I had a great time, and Chely was very helpful in arranging a trip to a nearby beach for us. I definitely recommend this hostel if you're looking for an affordable place that does a good job offering you the basics for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank vmilost
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Me and my friends stayed here and we had pretty bad experience.
Hostel itself is nice, has a swimming pool and it's pretty spacious. Dorms are ok too.
Hostel is located at the end of the street and it's about 10 minutes walk to town. Problem here
is that section of the street is dark and people frequently get robbed here. It usually happens later at night. Some people from hostel got robbed when we were staying here.
Our biggest issue here was the owner who seems to be very moody. One minute he seems to be nice, next one he's yelling at everyone for no reason. We felt very anxious in his presence. He's constantly trying to pick up girls from hostel (he tried with my friend too). He was also very drunk one night and made inappropriate remarks about some of his guests. We moved to Casa Oro after few days and had great time there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank missyme123123
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Upon booking with this hostel, the owner agreed to pick me up because he was going that way. Then on the day of I called him to confirm and he decided to switch the plans on me and asked for me to wait in the middle of streets of a town I never heard of. Its very unprofessional to change last minute not to put in danger......... who leaves a girl in the middle of street with no exact time of pick up. When I emailed to state the problem, in return he did not apologize but rudely blamed it on me. Dont stay here, bad owner!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank smilewiththeresa
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Chely was super friendly from the word go. He introduces himself personally to every visitor and always checks that you're doing ok. The entire hostel including bathrooms is cleaned reguarly throughout the day. The kitchen is massive. Feel completely safe here and its nice to be a 5 minute walk from centre of town. Everybody is super friendly and a great homely vibe. And they are more than happy to take you to the surf beaches everyday. I recommend everyone to stay at Yajure Hostel.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I flew into the airport in Liberia, costa Rica and made my way up to San Juan del Sur looking forward to a hot shower and a nice bed. It was dark when i arrived and the herbal smoke that rolled across the patio was thick. I had made a reservation and sent a deposit, just needed to check in. The first girl couldn't find my reservation so she went and got Chely. He told me, I didn't have a reservation, it wasn't in his "system" his system is very thorough and has never failed him. He keeps post it notes, a binder, and a spiral note book... so I took out my phone and showed him the email confirming my reservation and deposit - to which he replied, he was sorry, he would be able to give me a room the following night... but had nothing that night. Obviously, this was the last thing I wanted to hear, but I have learned not to expect perfection while traveling. Chely drove me back into town to hopefully find another place to stay. As this was one of the few places I found in San Juan del Sur with Hot water, I was disappointed.

Room Tip: Double confirm your reservation
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple