“Loved this place!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yajure Surf Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Yajure Surf Hostel
Hong Kong, China
“Loved this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here at the tail end of Semana Santa and loved being away from the craziness of the town. The hostel is very clean and Chely, the owner, is extremely nice-- he handed us cold beers the second we got there-- and very helpful, offering us advice and surf lessons during our stay. He definitelyThere were a lot of American and Canadian travelers there and the place had a very chill, surfer vibe and was complete with a big, clean pool, a tightrope and multiple hammocks. Definitely recommend for travelers on a budget! One tip: they only accept cash when checking out.

Also-- the only reason I ranked sleep quality as low is because those celebrating Semana Santa 1/2 mile down the road were playing music very loud, making it difficult to sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Hostel Yajure was an amazing place to stay--I stayed here with a girlfriend of mine at the beginning of our trip in Nicaragua, and we absolutely loved it. We planned to stay for only a couple of days, and extended it to four since we were having so much fun. The atmosphere at Hostel Yajure is what makes it so special--there are lots of places to just lounge and around and hang out, and it is really easy to meet like-minded people. Chely is super chill, and a great resource for advice about nearby beaches, transportation, etc.

We stayed in a dorm room with air conditioning, and it was great. The beds were comfortable, and the AC kept the room very cool (maybe even a little too cold!), but there were blankets available which made the temperature just right.

Like the review below said, my only negative would be that the free breakfast is just toast, and the coffee was usually out by the time I woke up. BUT that wasn't really a problem, since there were a lot of inexpensive, yummy places to eat in San Juan del Sur.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Yajure for a couple days at the beginning of our trip. It was the best hostel we stayed at in Nicaragua. The hostel is exactly what we wanted out of a hostel - really relaxed and fun. The whole place has a really awesome vibe. Chely is laid back and fun to chill with. Everyone at the hostel was down to hang out and go out together. The pool is awesome and a great way to escape the heat. Only downside is that the free breakfast isnt much - just white bread and jam. We would both stay again here in a heartbeat - it was hard to leave!

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

The beachfront location and the people who run the place (even oscar) are unreal, the pristine pool and the open space living were the nicest and cleanest we saw in 5 months of travelling through Central America. The music and the chilled out vibe were all-time. Chely and the staff were so helpful and friendly. Didn't matter what we wanted, he would help us out. When we went surfing, he showed us how, when we went drinking, he showed us how, when we were leaving after 2 weeks he got sad but still helped us by hooking us up with accommodation at another cool place. He even helped us meet some really cool guys in another town who took us surfing at some sweet breaks...

Best hostel I've been to. No doubt!

• Stayed September 2012
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Living in Costa Rica, I travel to San Juan del Sur often for a little vacation from my life of vacationing. The first place I ever stated at was Yajure and have stayed there ever since. It is located on the beach at the North end, about a five minute walk from the busier part of town, which is really nice for the noise factor.

The place is a sweet house, converted into a hostel, with great lounging areas, dining spots and a sweet pool. There are loads of hammocks and great outdoor areas to catch sun or hide in the shade. It is always clean and very affordable for a private room with a king bed.

The manager Chely, is a great guy. The first time I stayed there, as soon as I arrived, he threw me into his truck, took me downtown, showed me around and bought me a burrito. He took me to grab Flor de Cana and some Tona before heading back to Yajure. He has always been very helpful and very welcoming. He loves his place and enjoys sharing it with good people. I could only imagine how difficult it would be running a hostel in San Juan del Sur, considering the town is infamous for attracting heavy party types. I do not love San Juan del Sur but staying at Yajure is a very good time and I would recommend it to anyone!

Chau!

• Stayed October 2012
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I travel quite a bit, but have never been in a hostel, because we're newly weds and like our privacy ;) But we met up with some friends in san juan who have stayed here before so we stayed in a shared room and separate bunks. We felt so safe and I actually left my macbook out on my bed almost the entire time I was here. Chelly, the owner of the place, was the man. He actually got to know us and we went out to dinner with him. It was one of the cleanest places we've been in Nicaragua and there is amazing artwork all over the place. Great pool, and really cool people staying here. There is an amazing kitchen and the upstairs is breezy with places to hang out. The whole place is set up for having a great time and getting to know people. The wifi is decent, the connection is best in the lobby area. In the main lobby area, you can buy a soda, or a giant water to hydrate. I can't believe it's so cheap, it's literally on the beach. Stay here while it's still a hidden gem. After becoming friends with Chelly, we're actually considering buying land here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AndyDew
Omatepe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had a really bad experience here. It's too bad because the hostel (a converted house) is really beautiful. Unfortunately it's in kind of a dangerous spot, and the manager is very moody.

When I was staying here, two of my friends got robbed in the same spot on the way to the hostel. I also heard stories of two or three other incidents of people getting robbed in the same location. I spoke with other people in the town, people that worked at other hostels, and they all said it's a bad idea to walk in that area at night. However, in order to walk from the center of town (where all the bars and restaurants are) to the hostel, you have to walk through this stretch of road. It's dangerous because there aren't any restaurants or hotels and it's pretty dark, so it's easy for thieves to target you. The frustrating thing is that the owner denied that this area was dangerous. It's better if guests know so that they can be aware when they are walking home at night.

The other thing I didn't like about this hostel was that I got really bad vibes from the manager Chely. A lot of days he was just in a terrible mood and would get so angry so easily and lash out at people. He yelled at his staff at the top of his lungs when they asked if I could get a towel. We also thought he was kind of creepy, because he was always trying to isolate young female guests. One night he was drunk and he kept calling my friend a dirty word behind her back. Some girls liked him but my friends felt awkward. Overall, I found it a difficult to relax with the manager around because he was always on edge. We just wanted a relaxing beach experience, so we ended up changing hostels.

I met a bunch of people in San Juan from different hostels and it sounds like there are lots of good options. Stay at a place that is in a safer location, with a manager who is more dedicated to service and hospitality.

Room Tip: try to get a room with air conditioning because otherwise you will be very hot at night