Henry's Iguana Beach Bar & Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Never since I moved to San Juan del Sur area had I stepped into this bar though passing right in front of it more than a dozen times. The place is always packed and it is very famous among locals.
I had a mojito, which I can say was not the best I've had so I tried margaritas next and I stuck with those.
You have to go here at least once during your stay in town!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

On a recent Saturday night, we had the unfortunate experience of trying (underscore, “trying”) to eat dinner at Henry’s Iguana (HI) in SJDS. Like so many others who likely happen on this resto-bar, we were taken by its seaside location and proximity to the main drag. Like so many others, I imagine, too, we ended up regretting mightily its mediocre food and horrible service and couldn’t care less about how easy it was to access the sand or neighboring haunts

My party of five (all reasonable and sober beings, by the way) ordered simple and common fare from a way-too-large-for-a-miniscule-kitchen-to-deal-with menu and ended up waiting for more than 70 minutes for our food to appear. 70 minutes to even show up. We are not talking about slow food here—the kind worth your wait, either; we are talking about beachy stuff and restaurant mismanagement. You got a kitchen backlog? Not ideal, but it happens. Instruct your wait-staff to alert your clients. “Wanna eat? We are under-staffed tonight, and it’s gonna take a while.” Like that. No, “it’ll be on the table in ten” rubbish; no, “your order is up next” crapola.

You may be thinking, “it’s Backwater, Nicaragua…, what did you expect?” Not good enough. Business is business, even in a formerly sleepy seaside town. Hang out your fill-the-belly shingle….? Want my dough…? Get your act together, amigos. Serve solid food in a timely fashion, or serve drinks and bagged chips, or try your hand at another venture--reptile taxidermy, anyone?

Henry’s Halt and Lame Iguana? You’ve been warned.

1  Thank semicolon1
Reviewed January 15, 2013

San Juan bar hop: Start here at iguana, enjoy the view from the patio and have some reasonably priced drinks, next hit the Black Whale for live music, come back to iguana when it gets packed for a few more drinks and end the night down the street at the crazy crab for a fantastic latin dance party

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Hit Iguanas a couple of times during my visit...the setting and casual, cool ambiance kind of draws you in and does not disappoint. Great service and an authentic beach bar menu. The fish tacos were outstanding as were the cocktails. Grab a spot for sunset but plan for dinner.

1  Thank SusieQpacific
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The two-story beachfront bar is a great spot to watch the sunsets, but leave before the music gets going. The night scene is a mix of young Nicaraguans, backpackers, retired men and girls for hire. My best friend was approached by a young woman who coyly offered her services, at which point we had to leave because my fiancee was pissed. By 10 p.m. each night, the electronic music can be heard two blocks away.