and 1 more site!
Casa De Olas
Reviewed March 17, 2014

If you are looking for a fun, come-as-you-are place to hang out for as long as you need to in a gorgeous setting with friendly people all around, this is the place. I wouldn't recommend it for families or couples trying to get romantic, but outside of that, by all means be a guest. Fred and Carla are wonderful, and everyone who works there was lovely as well. On the right night, the sunsets are the most spectacular you will ever experience. Loved it!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Beautiful location, fantastic pool and views, lots of comfortable places to lounge around. The staff make the place - from the owners to the volunteers, everyone is friendly, happy and generally fun to be around. Plenty of shuttles in to town as well. Couldn't recommend it more highly.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Me and my boyfriend and a group of friends stayed here last week. From the minute we walked in, we loved the place. The owners Carla and Fred are the best hosts and reminded me so much of my parents back home. The place is run exceptionally well and the nightly dinners were all delicious. The infinity pool is so refreshing and the perfect way to spend a relaxing day. We wished we werent on a tight schedule so we could have stayed longer, but we will definitely be back! We miss Carla and Fred and of course, Buzz, already!

Room Tip: We stayed in a private room which was awesome!
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My friends and I arrived at Casa Del Olas around mid-feb and it undoubtedly one of the best decisions we made. The owners, Carla and Fred are amazing and defiantly know how to enjoy themselves alongside the amazing view and the staff. The nightly family cooked dinners are affordable and some of the best food we had in San Juan Del Sur. The free shuttles throughout the day, down to the local shops was super convenient. I personally also enjoyed the tab system that operated here and found it easy to relax on the nights I didn't feel like partying, as the bar closes at 10pm and Naked Tiger is located next door and is open until late. I would suggest arriving early if you wish to secure a spot before Sunday Funday. I hope one day I'll be back here and I'll defiantly be making sure that any of my Australian friends who come through Nicaragua will be staying here!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Defiantly a young persons place but older people could still enjoy it. I had way too much fun here starting to drink at 8am hahaha. The owners are an aussie couple from Noosa, they treated me a bit like a son. The monkey is not super friendly but is nice enough. You must stay here for Sunday fun day. The only problem I had was bed bugs, I got eaten alive! The people cleared the room and sprayed everything immediately which fixed the problem. If you don't want to drink maybe don't stay here but if you do then defiantly do!

Room Tip: Check if the awesome cat is sleeping under your bed someone found kittens once.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I arrived here at the end of December planning on staying for a maximum of two weeks... That turned into a further two weeks and then some. Fred, Carla & the Casa staff couldn't have made us feel more at home and were very accommodating. Luckily for us the opportunity came up to work there and we decided that seeing as we loved it, it would be worth while.

As a guest the staff were brilliant, from the bar tenders to the girls in the kitchen everyone was welcoming and accommodating. For $11 a night you have a bathroom, a comfy, clean bed that has an enclosed mattress protector on it to prevent bedbugs in the bed and a hearty breakfast (either two decent sized banana pancakes with some fruit, 2 scrambled/fried eggs and toast with fruit or eggs and toast with gallo pinto plus free coffee available all morning). In the evenings the cooks prepare a meal which is at a set time so it means everyone can sit down together and socialise. That's how we made most of our friends in the first few weeks! The cooks are also very good and prepare some delicious meals ranging from lasagne to a Monday night roast, and it's a real roast! The hostel offers free shuttles to town every couple of hours which is great as otherwise it's $4 to get there and the beach shuttle is a fraction of the price of a taxi or shuttles from the other hostels at $5 return. The bar is fairly priced and the bar staff make sure you have a good night! An added bonus is the lovely 18m infinity pool which has beautiful views of San Juan del Sur and it's surrounding area is a perfect sunbathing spot! My friends recommended this hostel to me, they spent 2 out of 6 weeks in Central America here, and we recommend it to anyone we meet that's going to SJDS.

As staff, it's equally as great! The only downside is having to deal with awkward customers who sneak in outside drink and order glasses of ice at the bar throughout Sunday Funday, as the gentleman who left the unfair and inaccurate review below did. Realistically if the hostel wasn't great people would end up there for weeks instead of the intended few days!

We have incredible memories from our time in SJDS and cannot recommend Casa de Olas highly enough.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lmust25
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed here in January and had the most amazing trip and time. This hostel really is a home. I cannot even begin to describe how great of a time I had here. The naked tiger hostel next door is no where as comparable to this hostel. The view is amazing and the people here made it truly a family. You cannot possibly have a bad time here unless your stuck up and high maintenance. Chill out have a beer and get to know the people here.I dont understand why people complain about the tab system. I thought it was genius. I never had to carry cash on me so I could swim all day and get drinks without a hassle. Fred is a genius for making this home for travellers and I applaud him for making this truly a home away from home. I cannot wait to come back, it actually pains me that I didnt stay here longer.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends