“UNA NOCHE MAS!”

sydney
“UNA NOCHE MAS!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

UNA NOCHE MAS!
This is what I found myself (& everyone around me) saying every afternoon for a month instead of venturing off. How could anyone want to leave this place!!!
We had planned to stay only a few days over Christmas but ended up staying just over a month!
I can easily say this was my absolute favourite place in the whole of Central America.
The hotel/hostel rooms are surrounded by an infinity pool overlooking the ocean. The rooms were always clean & very comfortable. Hammocks & day beds to lounge in all day. An awesome pet monkey to play with & cuddle. And a never ending amount of cold beers & cocktails to drink.
The group dinners here are the best I’d had throughout my whole trip & they were the perfect way to make new friends.
The town always felt safe & is filled with good pubs, clubs, shops, restaurants & friendly locals.
The local beaches are beautiful & there are plenty of adventures to be had around you.
& I saved the best for last…
You couldn’t ask for better hosts!!!!! They are the biggest legends you will ever meet -
they became family & I will definitely be back to visit soon :)
Ally x

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've stayed in a lot of hostels during my travels over the last few years, and this one was probably my favorite. The view is amazing, the atmosphere is relaxed, the dorm mattresses are new, the dinners are tasty, Buzz the monkey is interesting (but will soon have it's own place in the back of the hostel, which i think is a smart idea), the bartenders are friendly and upbeat, and Fred n Carla (the owners) are real down to earth welcoming people.

I don't see myself back in Nicaragua anytime soon but if i ever did return to San Juan del Sur i'd stay here. And only here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Granada, Nicaragua
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had a short visit at Casa de Olas. Unfortunately we lost our reservation due to an honest mistake. They were very nice about it and offered us dorm beds. But, we decided to go stay with a friend instead. We were told by many people that we had to check the place out. And they were right. The view is beautiful, the pool nice, and great owners. It is relaxed, but not boring and the monkey Buzz is super loveable. We stayed for a few drinks while trying to decide to stay or go and they treated us very well while we were there. I would have like to stay the night, but after running a hostel I understand that reservations to get lost, and they did tell us ahead of time that it is normally on a first come first serve basis. It just means we have to go back again, and maybe this time get there earlier. We had our own transportation, so it was not a hassle to come and go, but I would recommend calling ahead to see if there is room before either walking up, or paying a cab to take you up there as it seems to be popular.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Guesthose was really really nice. Very clean, very nice rooms, well decorated. It's a hotel but there are mostly budget couple-travellers and a few single travellers. There is a bar and a very nice pool, rooms are located around the pool. This means that it could be a bit loudy, but after 22 or 23 (don't remember, i'm sorry) it has to be quiet. It so cool to have the family dinners with the other guests and with the hosts. The food is delicious!The best in 2 months travelling. Breakfast was a bit disappointing.. Portions are small and every 2 days it's the same.
A few negative points:
- hosts don't speak spanish. That seems to be a bit rude the way the speak to their staff.. How could you run a hotel and live in Nicaragua without speaking spanish?
- the monkey is really scary! But you'll find your way to walk by :)
- there's not really a private place, in my opinion it was too much 'family-like' for us as a couple, but it depends what you want during your stay
- breakfast is not that good
- shuttle is going every 2 hours, this is good, but you have to wait, you can't go on your own without a car
- every day their own driver will bring you to a beach, chosen by the guests. One day we went to Yankee Beach. This was a very remote beach and it was necessary that the driver was carrying a knife with him. The rest of the guest went out surfing and I was sitting on the beach on my own or with my partner, that was a bit scary, because of all the stories about robberies on that beach...Just stories, we didn't have any bad experience, but were a bit scared by the stories.. Don't know if it's true, but be aware of it.

Room Tip: Een kamer zo ver mogelijk van de bar is het rustigst.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed here for three nights in April, and loved every minute of my stay. The hosts are gracious and warm, and the rooms are an excellent value. On top of all of that, the hillside location is nothing short of beautiful. Will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013
Croyde, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Casa de Olas is awesome! the owners and all the staff are so friendly and welcoming. the food is delicious, rooms clean and comfortable, nice atmosphere, excellent happy hour, best view of the sunset, a cheeky little monkey to play with, an adorable cat, shuttles to the beaches, everything you need/want to is here. would recommend it 100%.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa K
Merrillville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just left Casa de Olas. Had a wonderful time. The staff and owners are friendly and helpful. My husband and I are already trying to figure out when we can return. Hostel is a little out of city but with shuttle and taxis, never a problem going into town. San Juan del sur is great little town by the sea.
Received a GREAT MASSAGE at Bonnies Spa for $30, as a massage therapist, I can say one of the best deep tissue massages I have ever had. Thanks Fred and Carla fora great trip.

• Stayed April 2013