“A gem true gem we discovered!”
Review of Casa De Olas

and 1 more site!
Casa De Olas
Helsinki, Finland
“A gem true gem we discovered!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Casa de Olas is hands down the best place we have stayed so far in our 4 months of travelling. I honestly cannot think one bad thing to say about this kickass place. Its not really a hostel, its more like a resort where you are guaranteed to become a part of their amazing family. The hospitality is beyond this world and the atmosphere we have not been able to find anywhere else. This place is IDEAL for some serious chilling and relaxing, making great friends and enjoying life. And Buzz the Monkey is the icing on the cake! :) And the food is delicious, you have a family-style dinner every night. if you are looking for a place to stay in San Juan, you would be silly to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Oyster Bay, New York
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Came here with my gf last fall and had a fabulous time! The view is amazing, great bar, and the staff was so nice. Great place to relax after a great day of surfing! Its a bit out of town which is a positive not a negative and the shuttle takes you in if you want to go! We had a private room and it was great to have our own space but to still be a part of the hostel crowd! Nothing makes a vacay like falling asleep in a beach chair with a monkey asleep in your lap!! Amazing!

Room Tip: Definitely get a private room as a couple!! Great value!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ards39
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Work has been insane lately so I decided to take an impromptu trip to Nicaragua for a relaxing long weekend. I had never been, but word on the street was that it is a more private South American surfer destination as opposed to the been there...done that touristy Costa Rica. I researched locations in San Juan del Sur and came across Casa de Olas (primarily drawn to the well designed website and promises of meeting a monkey!) I could not be more happy with my stay. Overall just an AMAZING time and exactly what I needed. The staff welcomed me and made sure I was well taken care of...truly made me feel like family which was comforting especially in a part of the world I have never been. They helped plan my daily itinerary and let me know the most ideal and secluded surfing destinations. The rooms are impressively comfortable and quiet, and the views...OMG! Sunset at Casa de Olas is the ultimate experience - especially when sipping a local beer while looking out from the infinity pool. I had such an amazing time that I actually just booked a return visit in July. For those interested in staying in the area, Casa de Olas is the only place I'd recommend staying!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Erin H
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Are you heading into San Juan Del Sur? If so, make SURE you pay a visit to Casa De Olas! Before heading off to Nicaragua, I was kinda hesitant about the whole situation. I'm super picky when it comes to food/accommodations/nightlife etc.. This past January, my buddy and I headed down to Nica on a surf trip for two weeks. First off, it was two weeks too short! The experience was like no other, I've been on plenty of trips in my life and this one took the cake. As we arrived to Casa de Olas, it had felt as if we were arriving at home. The owners of the place, Fred and Carla welcomed us in with open arms, treated me as if I were their son for the entire trip. This is where I become picky, the food... I cannot stress how well the food was prepared every night, it was amazing!! There was something new on the menu each night, whether it be be chicken, fish, lasagna, tacos, pork chops etc etc. The dinner was my favorite part of the day (besides surfing), everyone sat down as a big family, ate their home cooked meal over some great conversations then BAM off to the nightlife! Drinks are very cheap at the hostel, I spent little to nothing for my entire two weeks and I was DEF drinking like a fish. They even had a happy hour at the hostel which made the drinks even cheaper, practically giving them away haha. The accommodations were awesome, they had plenty of option depending on how much privacy you wanted. I chose the surf dorm, where you stay in a big room with 10 or so other surfers/backpackers. They also had private rooms as well if you didn't want to deal with the dorm style atmosphere. Overall, it was a trip of a lifetime!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kookmike
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Secluded on a hill, a few km's out of the actual town: the views are pretty good. However they rival the views from the statue of Jesus (a short hike from the beach).
This is not a surf camp as advertised. It is a pricey hostel. The surf packages are cheaper in town and better value as you can choose when you want to go surfing.. The 'shuttle' into town goes three times a day (Naked Tigers goes in about 8-10 times) so unless you have your transport or get an expensive taxi; you have to go at these times.
The monkey 'Buzz' is exploited as an attraction. She should have been repatriated into her natural environment a long time ago, despite being an orphan. There are several animal reintroduction programs in Central America. She is kept on a leash and is known to bite females.
There is no kitchen, so you have to eat the set menu dinner or you can go next door to the Naked Tiger (they have a huge menu) where they serve food any time of day.The included breakfasts are good (pancakes and scrambled eggs on alternate days). The lunch menu is a hot dog or cup noodles.
This place is probably best for travellers who have a few days to lounge around by the infinity pool which is great; and would be even better if the dirty scum was not so visible in the water. The pool looked like it had not been cleaned in a long time.
The toilet/bathroom lock in my room was non-existent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank dominiquebrown
Casa-de-olas-MGMT, Manager at Casa De Olas, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thanks for the feedback Dominique but i would like to clear a few things up for you.

We do not advertise as being a surf camp at all. We are lucky enough to have two outside companies offering lessons to our customers. Prices are set by them and in comparison to lessons offered in town the value comes in the quality of boards, Area knowledge and ISA certified coaches on hand.

Our FREE shuttle runs three times a day which seems to satisfy our guests. In the instance you needed to get your own cab from town after a night out or simple wanted to travel the 5 minute ride on your own schedule you would expect to pay about 60 cordobas ($3), depending on your negotiating skills.

Buzz our monkey is very much part of our family. Orphaned soon after birth we wanted to care for her and do whatever possible to ensure she would be safe. We have explored reintroduction programs but have not been satisfied with what we saw. Buzz really enjoys the company of people and is very playful and sweet once you get familiar with her. We also take her to the Jungle out the back of the resort each day and let her go (without leash). She runs and jumps through the jungle for about an hour or so and returns "at will" when she is satisfied.

We are proud of our kitchen and have one of the best chef's in San Juan Del Sur creating fresh food daily. Most visitors choose to head into town or beaches during the day for lunch so our option is inexpensive and simple if someone chooses to stay by the pool.

Our pool has a full time attendant looking after it, Juan also takes care of the beautiful tropical gardens and fruit tree's on the property. It seems that what you saw was the faded paint from treating the pool on a daily bases. We will be re-painting the pool so it holds the original appeal but in no way is the pools water dirty.

Lastly our prices start at $11 per night (dorm). We feel these prices offer incredible value considering Casa De Olas was a award winning boutique hotel before transforming into a hostel just last year.

Thanks for letting us know your concerns, We will be painting the pool as soon as we can!
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed February 13, 2013

If you are planning to go to San Juan with your girlfriend or boyfriend dont stay here. There is no privacy even in the private rooms. Ther is no door in the bathrooms, and dont even think in getting to lovely with yout gf, only if ypu dont mind everybdy in the place knowing what you are doing in you bedroom.
My room was just next to the router of the internet so it looks like every other guest was outside my room tring to get wi fi signal. My recomendation, don stay here unless you are traveling alone or in group.
On the positeve: staff is very nice and food is great.
Also it is very far from San Juan downtown so if you dont have a car i wouldnt consider staying here. But because of that same reason view is amazing.

Room Tip: Only consider this place if you have a car
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank djaragon
Casa-de-olas-MGMT, Manager at Casa De Olas, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
The open layout of our rooms has been one of the most admired aspects by past guests and we understand not everybody feels that way. Did you ask the staff for a room change away from our router so that you had more privacy?(we have different room layouts too) We are always happy to make a stay more comfortable where ever possible.

Casa De Olas also offers shuttles to and from town and beaches. The 5 minute drive to town is what separates us from others and enables the spectacular views everyone admires when they stay with us.

We enjoy accommodating both couples and single travelers if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable............Just ask!

Safe travels
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Cam to this place on a tight schedule as a friend had told me we MUST stay here, we ended up staying a week and cutting out other parts of our trip. From the moment you step into this place you feel like you belong here, the friendliest of service, very comfy rooms and a view to die for. i must admit the draw card is Buzz the Crazy Spider Monkey! what a legend, just dont bother her when shes eating... at least i have a scar to remember her by! Just beware if the owner Shane is down from New York on his holiday, He can drink... if you come to San Juan Del Sur you HAVE TO STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Book Early! this place is getting more and more popular by the Day!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends