Secluded on a hill, a few km's out of the actual town: the views are pretty good. However they rival the views from the statue of Jesus (a short hike from the beach).
This is not a surf camp as advertised. It is a pricey hostel. The surf packages are cheaper in town and better value as you can choose when you want to go surfing.. The 'shuttle' into town goes three times a day (Naked Tigers goes in about 8-10 times) so unless you have your transport or get an expensive taxi; you have to go at these times.
The monkey 'Buzz' is exploited as an attraction. She should have been repatriated into her natural environment a long time ago, despite being an orphan. There are several animal reintroduction programs in Central America. She is kept on a leash and is known to bite females.
There is no kitchen, so you have to eat the set menu dinner or you can go next door to the Naked Tiger (they have a huge menu) where they serve food any time of day.The included breakfasts are good (pancakes and scrambled eggs on alternate days). The lunch menu is a hot dog or cup noodles.
This place is probably best for travellers who have a few days to lounge around by the infinity pool which is great; and would be even better if the dirty scum was not so visible in the water. The pool looked like it had not been cleaned in a long time.
The toilet/bathroom lock in my room was non-existent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa de Olas, is a unique place to stay, blending the best of Bed & Breakfast, hotel and hostel together to create the Casa de Olas experience. We are situated on a hilltop over-looking the town and bay of San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. Our location provides endless views over the Pacific ocean with spectacular sunsets nightly. Casa De Olas is designed for the more discerning backpacker and budget travelers who are looking to find an oasis of luxury at affordable prices. In total we have 10 rooms and can accommodate a maximum of 75 guests at any one time. We have dorm rooms that can accommodate from 4-6 people with one room housing 14. Casa de Olas is designed for those traveling on a budget or in groups. All rooms are spacious with en-suites. We think staying a little out of town is the best way to experience all that San Juan del Sur and the surrounding area has to offer. Australian couple Fred and Carla are your hosts bringing a wealth of knowledge from their native land with a long resume in the hotel and restaurant industry. Fred and Carla are warm and always ready to give a recommendation. Take a look at our website, TripAdvisor and Facebook pages to find out more and we look forward to having you stay with us soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Casa De Olas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa De Olas Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Casa De Olas Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur