“Mama Sara” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mama Sara House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Mama Sara House
Montreal, Canada
“Mama Sara”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Your Mama In San Juan.... So Nice... Friendly... She come to us in the street to present her little Guest house... 16$ /Night in the middle of everything In San Juan Del Sur... little room but nice and great place... Thx Sara

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
US
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Cheap of course. Final price was not the original....hmmm. OK for the price but the price might vary based on what they think you should pay. It will be somewhere between16 and20 and all the rooms are basically the same...one with bunk beds

Rooms are fine, small, no reading light; but in the heat, the air just doesn't seem to want to come in! so its stuffy even with the single window (to the walkthrough hallway) wide open.

Noise.. yes. Of all varieties, at various hours. Its just the way it is I guess.
Bkfst was a plate of fresh fruit and instant coffee....

well, you decide.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I've been a bit lazy with writing reviews recently but mama sara's deserves it. We were welcomed in instantly, shown around and decided this was a good location, very clean and had a good kitchen. After dumping our bags and sitting on the balcony we were bought a plate of food and drink- completly unexpected but more than happy as it had gone lunch and we had been travelling for a few hrs- the food was delicious. We've been here for 4nights and likely to stay another 4. Each day we get a little treat. Even without the food, this place is still great.

We checked out Casa Oro's across the road to start with and at $9US a dorm bed we kept looking, so glad we did as my friend and I are paying the same (each) for a private room. Never felt so at home in a hostel. Sara and staff are great :-) highly recommend! (oh and there's room for you to do washing too!).

• Stayed February 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

If I go to San Juan del Sur again - I would def. stay at Mama Sara. Cheap, 16$ for private room. Me and my girlfriend were both satisfied with it. No luxury but you get what you pay for. Close to everything you need. G
Mama Sara is near Casa Oro wich is a good thing if you want to take shuttles to all the beaches around. Sara is friendly and brings you home cooked meals every night. Its not much so if you are hungry you have to eay anyway. But it is a good way to taste Nicaraguan dishes.

• Stayed February 2013
Marina del Rey, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

The folks at the Corner House in Ometepe referred me here, and they were spot on. I felt welcomed immediately and enjoyed Mama Sara's perfect location, close to everything, yet quite tranquilo when I wanted to return for peaceful sleep. Mama Sara is affordable, safe, clean, and personable. I was able to practice my Spanish and whenever I passed through the door received a friendly greeting, and sometimes a tasty treat! No frills here, but a quaint balcony I often sat on and looked out on the street. Perfect for coming and going, and simple and charming for staying. Another 5 star success story for SJDS!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Altagracia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

A homestay disguised as a hostal. One of the cleanest places we stayed at in Nica. Mama Sara is a genuinely warm mother who takes excellent care of her home and guests. She also periodically prepares and shares delicious meals/drinks with the guests. She and her family will help guests navigate SJDS, facilitate connections for getting cheap food and water, and even let guests use the family's personal computer if the guest doesn't have one with which to access the free wi-fi.

The house is also right across the street from Casa Oro and several other surf shops, so there is easy access to beach shuttles. It might be nice to have more powerful fans in the rooms, as they do get a little stuffy. However, it was not disturbingly hot and we were always able to get a good night's sleep.

She and her husband will treat you like part of her family. If I find myself back in Nica, I will definitely return to Mama Sara's.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

While walking through the streets of San Juan del Sur looking for a place to sleep, and not wanting to take any of the sketchy looking men up on their offer for a cuarto privada.....a taxi driver named Goyo recommended Mama Sara House, he even led us to her doorstep! As soon as we walked in Mama Sara offered us each a glass of cold lemonade....mmmm it was perfect after our long day of travel. At $15 dollars a night for a private room I'd recommend this place to travellers who aren't looking for a wild party night....if you want to party but don't want to live in the party this is also a good place to sleep becaue the Casa Oro rooftop bar is just across the street!

Our first night there Mama Sara offered us rice pudding that she had made for everyone in the Hostel...it was delicious! She also introduced us to a national beverage called Chicha...it was good too! Mama Sara and her family welcome everyone into their home....they have character, they are fun, and while only Ramone, the son, speaks English, Mama Sara does not mind sitting with you and having a conversation....she helped me a great deal with my broken Spanish, which I am proud to report is not so broken any more!

I would recommend this establishment to anyone visiting San Juan del Sur.....it's not one of the "party" hostels, which is fine with me because that's not what I was looking for. It's an awesome cultural experience and I will always remember the kindness shown to me by the family. Muchas gracias Mama Sara y tu familia!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple