Mama Sara House
$194
$143
Hotel & Resort Palermo(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$116
$109
$105
$100
  • Pool
Casa Bahia Hotel(Playa Marsella)(Great Value!)
$60
HC Liri Hotel(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$49
$44
Hotel Victoriano(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$105
$75
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort(San Juan del Sur)
$42
$34
  • Breakfast included
El Jardin Hotel and Restaurant(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$65
$365
$310
Hotels.com
Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa(San Juan del Sur)
$220
$206
Priceline
All reviewsprivate roomshared kitchenbalcony overlooking the streethome cookedsan juanliving areaguest housedouble bedplace to stayrooms are basicthe location is perfectminute walktwo nightsfanssjdshostelshuttle
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The folks at the Corner House in Ometepe referred me here, and they were spot on. I felt welcomed immediately and enjoyed Mama Sara's perfect location, close to everything, yet quite tranquilo when I wanted to return for peaceful sleep. Mama Sara is affordable, safe, clean, and personable. I was able to practice my Spanish and whenever I passed through the door received a friendly greeting, and sometimes a tasty treat! No frills here, but a quaint balcony I often sat on and looked out on the street. Perfect for coming and going, and simple and charming for staying. Another 5 star success story for SJDS!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2012

A homestay disguised as a hostal. One of the cleanest places we stayed at in Nica. Mama Sara is a genuinely warm mother who takes excellent care of her home and guests. She also periodically prepares and shares delicious meals/drinks with the guests. She and her family will help guests navigate SJDS, facilitate connections for getting cheap food and water, and even let guests use the family's personal computer if the guest doesn't have one with which to access the free wi-fi.

The house is also right across the street from Casa Oro and several other surf shops, so there is easy access to beach shuttles. It might be nice to have more powerful fans in the rooms, as they do get a little stuffy. However, it was not disturbingly hot and we were always able to get a good night's sleep.

She and her husband will treat you like part of her family. If I find myself back in Nica, I will definitely return to Mama Sara's.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2012

While walking through the streets of San Juan del Sur looking for a place to sleep, and not wanting to take any of the sketchy looking men up on their offer for a cuarto privada.....a taxi driver named Goyo recommended Mama Sara House, he even led us to her doorstep! As soon as we walked in Mama Sara offered us each a glass of cold lemonade....mmmm it was perfect after our long day of travel. At $15 dollars a night for a private room I'd recommend this place to travellers who aren't looking for a wild party night....if you want to party but don't want to live in the party this is also a good place to sleep becaue the Casa Oro rooftop bar is just across the street!

Our first night there Mama Sara offered us rice pudding that she had made for everyone in the Hostel...it was delicious! She also introduced us to a national beverage called Chicha...it was good too! Mama Sara and her family welcome everyone into their home....they have character, they are fun, and while only Ramone, the son, speaks English, Mama Sara does not mind sitting with you and having a conversation....she helped me a great deal with my broken Spanish, which I am proud to report is not so broken any more!

I would recommend this establishment to anyone visiting San Juan del Sur.....it's not one of the "party" hostels, which is fine with me because that's not what I was looking for. It's an awesome cultural experience and I will always remember the kindness shown to me by the family. Muchas gracias Mama Sara y tu familia!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2012

They clean the place constantly and there were NO BUGS. The rooms and everything were clean. The bathroom was clean. Mama sara and her husband are very kind. When we arrived we were served frescos which was like lemonade. In the am we were served watermelon and a banana. The only con was the room was so stuffy we could't sleep well even though we had a fan. So we decided to only stay for one night. It was $20 night. It is also by the park.

Pros: Random free drink and fruits, clean, nice owners, comfy bed, no bugs
Cons: Stuffy

Room Tip: try to get a room that has good ventilation
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kalypso2
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Mama Sara house was perfect! Sara and her family are so welcoming and nice!! We stayed for 5nights!! She made us feel like home, and made us small local dishes! Jummy;) Will always remember her (and her little two babyparrots!) - always a big smile and a happy greet "HOOOLA CHIKAS!!!" mucho gracios!! See u soon! Hugs from two norwegian girls :)

• Stayed: March 2012