“Simply Stunning!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Maderas Village
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Maderas Village is one of those places that you wish you could spend your entire life. From surfing to yoga and every other relaxing thing between, this place will put you in a zen-like trance.

It's an incredibly social place with a friendly and happy atmosphere. The staff are great!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TommasC

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Maderas Village was the most beautiful spot I've ever been to for sure. Secluded on a hill in the middle of the jungle, the architecture, rooms, food, views, and comfort will take your breath away. I've never been somewhere outside of my home with so many relatable people. The owners and employees do a fabulous job making everyone feel right at home. Most of the travelers who visit are all like-minded and are here to relax, surf, make friends and hang out. One of my worries as a solo traveler was safety but it wasn't an issue at all here. I plan to return in the near future. Thanks guys! Seriously couldn't have asked for a better way to start my 3 month trek in Nica.

Room Tip: The dorm area was an excellent deal
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at the Maderas Village from Jan. 2nd to 9th and have been dreaming to go back ever since the moment I left. It was recommended by my cousin who came on her honeymoon. I read in one of the reviews here that Maderas Village is the kind of place that will "make you want to quit your job, sell everything and live down there". Well trust me, it's exactly the feeling you get once you go back home.

Playa Maderas is about 20 minutes from San Juan del sur. This beach is so, so beautiful and the waves are a perfect mix for every level at anytime of the day. There is still very little development here which makes it pristine and so fun!

I came here solo wanting to escape the busy city life and perhaps detox after the xmas holidays. I had high expectations because of their beautifully designed website. My expectations were more than satisfied. The rooms are beautiful, spacious, clean and comfortable. No bunk beds in the dorm room, which is a big plus! No one really enjoys being on a top bunk. The common areas all have a breathtaking view on the ocean and on the jungle. Many of my mornings were spent laying in a hammock gazing at the swell coming in and out, sipping on a freshly made smoothie and spotting birds and monkeys. There are yoga classes given on site in a beautiful aired-out studio or down by the beach and surf lessons available.

The food is delicious and healthy! The kitchen staff makes a killer ceviche.

The whole Maderas Village team are absolutely amazing! Cannot wait to go back!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We've all looked back on places we've been and commented on the pro's and cons of things like the food, rooms, the amenities and the people we met.
The magic of the Maderas Village is there is nothing to weigh, you'll simply look back on the house that made you feel at home, the amazing meals you shared and the people who will be your friends for life.
It's a place where stress goes to die and you get a real experience of what the good life is.
Their motto is "relax harder" and with a quiet and genuine subtlety they cater to all your needs.
The people who run it are some of the nicest and most fun people on this planet.
Their relaxed and fun attitudes are infectious and leave you questioning why aren't you doing the same.
Aside from the people, the main house is a haven for relaxing, and if you want more privacy there are a number of lofts and hammocks to lounge and chill out.
The food is incredible and if the dinner of the night isn't in your wheelhouse, simply let someone know and they'll happily whip you up a personal gem to dine on.
The beauty is that this isn't treated like a business like most places, this is their home and they have the simple goal of making it feel like your home too for as long as you want to stay.
This was my second visit as the first was so amazing that I couldn't wait to go back.
I had always told myself I'd never go to the same place twice...now I don't think I'd go anywhere else.
The words "thank you" don't do it justice to show my gratitude & appreciation for the amazing experience they helped provide.
You guys are the best!

Room Tip: It depends if you like the sunshine in the morning or you prefer it darker...just let them know as s...
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Came here from Christmas Eve through to January 4, 2013. Booked based solely on a recommendation from an acquaintance after describing what we were looking at for our next trip: "somewhere to just 'be'...to relax, to have fun, to explore a little (but not spend weeks jumping from city to city. Somewhere to shut off and escape in hopes of coming home refreshed." She didn't hesitate to refer us to Maderas, and she was right on point.

The location is second to none - just far enough from the hustle of the nearest town, you feel isolated while still being surrounded by like-minded new friends. A short walk to the beach where surfers (new and experienced) can share the breaks in a zen way I've never seen - not a single person complained about 'better' surfers getting agro about them dropping in on their wave. If you want to tour around and see a few more new faces, they'll arrange a trip for you. But if you want to truly relax, grab a book from their eclectic selection, snag a hammock, and order a beer, because in 10 hours you'll likely still be in the same spot, enjoying a truly world-class view. Some days we didn't even leave the main house - just having too much fun eating the most amazing food, drinking ice cold beer, and making new but lifelong friends. The choice is yours! The accommodations themselves were as expected - clean rooms, refreshing showers, though just don't expect 'hot' water (though it was warm enough to be refreshing), and lovely open-air style rooms with wonderful cross breezes to keep you cool on the warmest of evenings. (FYI - we stayed on the second floor of the main house in a private room with private bath. Lots of other options available.)

The staff were nothing short of incredible. Despite arriving after 1:00 a.m., we were greeted by the smiling, friendly faces of staff and guests, a drink, and two more hours of conversation to welcome us to the village. Everyone was always ready to answer any questions we had and help out with whatever our needs were. Despite previous comments about the ownership appearing 'insular', I found this to be the farthest thing from the truth. There was always someone there available to help you out - even if it meant interjecting on a conversation. The response was always enthusiastic and helpful. HUGE kudos to the local staff - those serving drinks, cleaning rooms, prepping food, and ensuring your stay was nothing short of perfect. They truly seem to enjoy their own stay at Maderas and could be heard laughing away their work day - which only added to the charm and happiness of the place.

I've already mentioned the food briefly, but it deserves its own paragraph. OH MY GOD....THE FOOD. I wish they had a Maderas cookbook for sale, because it's impossible to replicate, from what I can tell (and have tried thus far). The ceviche was to die for. The tacos, ever changing in their toppings (based on what was available) were mouth watering (excuse me while I wipe the drool), and every single piece of food that crossed my lips elicited a sigh and eye roll of pure joy and pleasure. The fish tacos on the beach were great, yes, but Maderas had the upper hand on food in my mind, no matter what they were serving.

As another reviewer stated - it's a trap. A beautiful, wonderful trap. I WILL be going back and won't even consider other accommodations in the area. This time, I may never come home.

Room Tip: Lots of options to choose from. If you're a light sleeper and typically late to rise, you may wa...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ubuimi
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have travelled all over the world, and could not have asked for a better surprise than The Maderas Village. It's as if it was meant to discovered by just the right people, and from the moment we arrived, we were looked after like friends.
Thanks to DeWitt, Dickie, Sabrina, Dave and the whole crew were all extremely welcoming. They are passionate about creating a unique experience that truly feels like its own tiny (extremely well designed) village in the middle of the jungle.
If you are looking for a place to relax, surf, and meet a great mix of people, than look no further...amazing weather, food, and incredible service are what make this place one we will return to often.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I came here alone for the first week of my central america getaway. I initially had only booked a few nights but ended up staying the week. I wanted a place to surf, relax, meet cool people and forget about life in NYC. I couldn't have asked for a better location. The staff, both locals and expats were super accommodating and friendly. It was very clear their mission was to make me comfortable and happy. The environment is such that everyone staying there interacts with each other and becomes friendly. I even met up with some people on Ometempe Island later in the trip. A surfers paradise - and paradise for anyone wanting to escape. Big thanks to Dewitt, Black Jesus, Dave and Amanda. Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo