Hotel & Resort Palermo(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$116
$97
La Veranera - Playa El Coco(Playa El Coco)(Great Value!)
$70
HC Liri Hotel(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$40
$120
Hotels.com
  • Pool
El Jardin Hotel and Restaurant(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$50
$365
Casa Bahia Hotel(Playa Marsella)
$70
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort(San Juan del Sur)
$25
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Alcazar(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$88
$72
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $85/night.

Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa(San Juan del Sur)
All reviewscool ideayoga spaceyoga retreatunique experiencegood vibestree houselearn to surfhome away from homedickiechilljunglemvcommunitynicaraguaboardhikejuan
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Everything from the unique thatch hut accommodations, hammocks, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and amazing folks that make the place run; this place is awesome. The owners and staff are nothing but helpful, welcoming, fun and chill; you'll be friends with everyone by the end of the first day. We were there to surf, meet fellow travelers, get our yoga on and speak Spanish. This is the place for all of those things. You'll have to search a bit for the spanish portion, however the staff is so great you'll be able to kick up a conversation in no time.

We stayed in one of the Cottages and it was definitely a great and one of a kind experience. Comfortable, remote-feeling with most of the necessities, beautiful wood work, tons of space and good beds.

Be prepared for some internet challenges; however I'm almost positive this is a Nicaragua issue and not Maderas Village, as I personally watched the owners trying to fix downtimes, doing everything they can to make sure their guests are happy.

We were definitely stoked on the food set up as well. Breakfast, lunch and dinner with healthy options; and dinner is served community style with your new friends every night. Be ready for around $20 per day 'cause their set up is pretty much your only option; but it's a great one to have.

Go here, surf here, stay at The Maderas Village; meet new friends, laugh with Black Tsunami, think about never leaving, be enlightened by Black Jesus, learn about local living & speak some spanish by chatting it up with the staff......enjoy.

KM

Room Tip: Cottages were great, but it looked like all of the options were cool depending on what you're looking for; you'll spend most of your time at the community building anyway hanging with the rest of the people. Can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Wow, what a relaxed gem at one of the best beaches we have ever been to. Getting to Maderas village can be a hastle if you don't have a 4wd. We drove up with our rented sedan, but we had to leave the car approximately 200m before the hotel, because the hill is just to steep. When we made it, we were Welcomed by Dickie, one of the guys who built this place up on the hill.

We stayed in a room with private bathroom, the room is one out of the three in a magnificent building with two floors of common space that you can use to relax and hang out. Its just huge, maybe thirty feet tall or so. Living area is larger than at your own place, unless you own a million dollar villa. All is open, except for the bedrooms - they have shutters and good mosquito nets. Beds were fine and room was clean. Nice cold showers in the evening... Actually these houses are great if you want to come with a group of friends. But they also rent out single rooms in the houses.

We also visited one of the cabinas with some girls staying there. They looked stunning. You can have a real jungle experience over there, since there are located between the trees on the side of the hill. They have sliding doors that can be opened of the full length of the living area of the cabina. Also nice for a more romantic getaway.

In the end we did not spend much time in our 'own' house, because the common area in the main house is even better. Everybody tends to go there. There you have a magnificent ocean view, on the second floor there is a great floor with hammocks to chill.

Regular day: Early risers get up around six to do some wicked surfing on the nearby Madera beach. Like a five minute walk down the hill. During the day you can rent good boards at 10 usd. Between seven and nine in the morning everybody is having breakfast prepared by some local ladies. You can choose between a variety of dishes like granola, smoothies, eggs. All very good. Guests are just hanging out with breakfast in hammocks, at the dining tables, on sofas. Just relaxing. Afterwards you can chill out (after morning surf) or go to the beach or into town (sjds, twentyfive minutes 4wd ride). Lunch you can have at Maderas Village or at the beach (tacos locos, good food). Afternoon is just to relax a bit. Everybody goes out for the evening surf and sunset. Dinner is served at around 7.30. All are around the two large dining tables seating up to thirty. Dinner is excellent. A few more drinks before heading to bed around eleven.

The atmosphere at this hotel is so relaxed, it is a good mix of people, coming to surf, hang out or just relax. Both experienced and starting surfers, US citizens and Europeans, couples and indivuals. Combined with the nice beach, good food and sunny weather this is just superb. Pro surfers in the house if you want to take some surf lessons. Nice people around to play some cards or roll some dice. Local cooks preparing excellent breakfasts and dinners. Nices waves to ride or to get tumbled. Sunny beach for a nice tan. Howler monkeys as morning alarm. One of the best places to go to in Nicaragua to spent some time near a beach...

For people into surfing, we also went to surfmaroc (.co.uk) in taghazout, marocco, same type of atmosphere. If you liked it there you'll definitely like Maderas Village...

Conclusion: good choice, value for money, fun, relaxing, surfing, talking, great time!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KingJulianNL
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed at Maderas Village for two and half weeks. I have visited 15 countries in the last two years, and this tops them all. It is not simply a place to stay... it is a beachy jungle paradise overflowing with good vibes, good people, and positive energy. The guys that run the place treat you like family. They don't simply provide you with accomodations... they invite you into their paradise and do whatever is necessary to ensure that you have a great time.

In my case, they went above and beyond. I broke my leg during a motorcycle accident, and I had no idea what to do or where to go. Dave drove me to the hospital (2 hours away). He stayed for 5 hours that first day... translating, talking to the doctors, connecting them with my insurance carrier, etc. He read my entire insurance policy to make sure there were no loopholes about riding motorcycles. I had surgery the next morning, and he came to the hospital two hours beforehand in order to help me with whatever was needed (mainly translating). I was in the hospital for three days, and he came to the hospital everyday. When I checked out and returned to Maderas, the whole staff took extra good care of me... making sure I had everything I needed. A week later, Dickie drove me back to the hospital for my follow up appointment. WOW!! Try to find a hotel anywhere else in the world that will treat you this well.

Despite the injury, this was the best trip I've taken. I can't wait to return. There is something really special about this place... an intangible quality that can't be described, only experienced.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank AlwaysOnTheMove13
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Whether you're a surfer, a yogi or just like spending hours lounging in hammocks, Maderas Village is the perfect choice. Would highly recommend for guys, girls, singles, couples or groups.... The views are gorgeous, the beautiful surf beach just minutes away, and a wonderful yoga space is available for classes or self practice. A completely relaxed vibe, you're able to chill out and have your own space, peace and quiet, or join in with the community that the guys have created. Days are relaxed and easy, and evenings are spent with the wider group, dining together eating amazing home cooked food with great company. David, Dickie, Dewit and Jesus made us feel so welcome, we extended our stay and will definitely be going back...

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank LollyJS
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I am not a surfer nor do I normally seek out the best beaches in the world for vacation. And yet, I found a "home" at Maderas Village. It has all the elements I usually seek out in a perfect vacation: relaxing destination, beautiful vistas, instant camaraderie with other guests, world-class cuisine, caring staff, comfortable rooms, and best of all --- the feeling after a couple of days that I'm as far away from my regular routine as possible.

I rediscovered vacation energy ... you wake up happy and the day just gets better from that moment on. The beach is spectacular. I dined with new friends from Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, Australia and England. I went to a rodeo. I visited Granada that is a gem of an old city from the grand Spanish colonial days. And I only had great meals both at Maderas Village or local restaurants.

The staff is amazingly attentive both to the needs of the guest and to the lush jungle environment in which Maderas Village is nestled. Nothing leaves the property --- plants, timber, or locally grown food --- that isn't replaced. It's an extraordinary commitment to keeping the environs sustainable and eco-friendly.

I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo