“You'll never want to leave”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Maderas Village
Los Angeles, California
“You'll never want to leave”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed at Maderas Village for two and half weeks. I have visited 15 countries in the last two years, and this tops them all. It is not simply a place to stay... it is a beachy jungle paradise overflowing with good vibes, good people, and positive energy. The guys that run the place treat you like family. They don't simply provide you with accomodations... they invite you into their paradise and do whatever is necessary to ensure that you have a great time.

In my case, they went above and beyond. I broke my leg during a motorcycle accident, and I had no idea what to do or where to go. Dave drove me to the hospital (2 hours away). He stayed for 5 hours that first day... translating, talking to the doctors, connecting them with my insurance carrier, etc. He read my entire insurance policy to make sure there were no loopholes about riding motorcycles. I had surgery the next morning, and he came to the hospital two hours beforehand in order to help me with whatever was needed (mainly translating). I was in the hospital for three days, and he came to the hospital everyday. When I checked out and returned to Maderas, the whole staff took extra good care of me... making sure I had everything I needed. A week later, Dickie drove me back to the hospital for my follow up appointment. WOW!! Try to find a hotel anywhere else in the world that will treat you this well.

Despite the injury, this was the best trip I've taken. I can't wait to return. There is something really special about this place... an intangible quality that can't be described, only experienced.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank AlwaysOnTheMove13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Whether you're a surfer, a yogi or just like spending hours lounging in hammocks, Maderas Village is the perfect choice. Would highly recommend for guys, girls, singles, couples or groups.... The views are gorgeous, the beautiful surf beach just minutes away, and a wonderful yoga space is available for classes or self practice. A completely relaxed vibe, you're able to chill out and have your own space, peace and quiet, or join in with the community that the guys have created. Days are relaxed and easy, and evenings are spent with the wider group, dining together eating amazing home cooked food with great company. David, Dickie, Dewit and Jesus made us feel so welcome, we extended our stay and will definitely be going back...

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank LollyJS
NYC
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I am not a surfer nor do I normally seek out the best beaches in the world for vacation. And yet, I found a "home" at Maderas Village. It has all the elements I usually seek out in a perfect vacation: relaxing destination, beautiful vistas, instant camaraderie with other guests, world-class cuisine, caring staff, comfortable rooms, and best of all --- the feeling after a couple of days that I'm as far away from my regular routine as possible.

I rediscovered vacation energy ... you wake up happy and the day just gets better from that moment on. The beach is spectacular. I dined with new friends from Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, Australia and England. I went to a rodeo. I visited Granada that is a gem of an old city from the grand Spanish colonial days. And I only had great meals both at Maderas Village or local restaurants.

The staff is amazingly attentive both to the needs of the guest and to the lush jungle environment in which Maderas Village is nestled. Nothing leaves the property --- plants, timber, or locally grown food --- that isn't replaced. It's an extraordinary commitment to keeping the environs sustainable and eco-friendly.

I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank PapacitoNYC
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed in this beautiful little paradise for a week and plan to return asap! This hotel "village" is comprised of cabanas, villas, and a main house where the meals are served and people generally gather. There is also a penthouse suite atop the main house overlooking their incredible beach just down the hill. The village is mainly constructed from sustainable materials such as salvaged woods, palm leaf roofing, and even walls made of empty rum bottles (and cement) from the good times had by previous guests! Construction-wise, all of the villas and cabanas etc adhere to traditional nicaraguan building methods which really makes you feel as if you're in someone's home and the effort and care is apparent everywhere you look. Design-wise, most things are very simple but brilliantly sheik and a lot of times, downright clever. Top off the beautiful surroundings with the incredibly welcoming, friendly, and hardworking staff (seriously, those guys are the best), world-class surf, and perfect weather, and it's pretty much a home run!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I stayed at Maderas Village for two nights, way too short, but nonetheless a great experience. The boutique hostel & hotel is up on the hills overlooking Playa Maderas, so if you're a surfer, you can always check the swells up on top of the Dreamcatcher House.

The dinners at Maderas Village are top-notch and super good ... definitely have the ceviches on Tuesday nights. The staff & the travelers I met were all very friendly and personable.

Spend your days going to surf or lay out on the sun at Playa Maderas, and evenings at the tables conversing about life at dinner, and then nights out in San Juan del Sur.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 22, 2012

This place is wonderful, you will literally feel like you are staying at a friend's house with all of your basic needs taken care of. A great place to come with friends, meet new friends, or just relax on your own. It is a short walk from the best beach in Nicaragua with amazing sunsets. The staff is great and can set up anything you need whether it be surf lessons, Yoga or even getting into San Juan Del Sur.

Johnny Mc - Philadelphia, PA

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Johnny M
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I was at Maderas Village last week with my daughter and I am seriously having the worst holiday withdrawal I have ever experienced. We simply had a wonderful time. When I inquired about visiting I was told to think of it as something between a boutique hotel and a friend's house. The description is perfect! We felt very much at home, made lots of friends and are all planning on returning. The food was excellent, fresh and great variety. The beach is beautiful. I am not a surfer, but I had requested lots of yoga and was pleased with my daily class and the beautiful space to practise in. We had planned on being there about 5 days and stayed for 8 of our 9 day trip to Nicaragua. It's hard to focus on just one aspect as this place excels in every way. The staff are excellent, friendly and helpful. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Playa Redonda
Arte-Sano Hotel Cafe
Arte-Sano Hotel Cafe
#15 of 27 in San Juan del Sur

Been to The Maderas Village? Share your experiences!