“Just go here”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Maderas Village
London, United Kingdom
“Just go here”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

A wonderful hostel, regardless of whether you surf or not. The staff are great, laid back and helpful. The views are stunning, waking up to the pacific ocean for three nights has been a highlight in my three month trip through central America. It really is one of the best hostels I have stayed in. All meals are vegetarian or fish, but let this not put you off because the food is delicious and the small number of guests means there is a great atmosphere that will mean you never really want to leave. So plan accordingly!

Room Tip: Spend the extra 5 dollars to have the top floor dorm room. The view is more than worth it.
Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I was expecting a cheap place to stay, close to the beach, with yoga and surfing available. I walked away with much much more. The guys that own this place have created a really unique and special place. You will arrive meeting strangers and leave with new friends from all over the world. Everyone gathers in the morning to have coffee, read, check email, and enjoy their breakfast. From there people will head to surf, take a yoga class, get a massage from neighbor Dunia, head into town for some shopping/exploring, take a zipline tour, or just relax on the beach. Some days the guys will arrange trips via car or boat to other surf spots in the area. After enjoying the beautiful sunset everyone convenes for a pescatarian dinner that never disappoints. Fish curry was my favorite. If you're there on a Monday it's a bonus, people talk all week about pizza night! At night everyone hangs out and enjoys some wine, beer, or some Flor de Cana. People get up on the roof to watch the stars, or if you're lucky Dickie will pick up a guitar and entertain you. For those who like to party, a couple nights a week the crew will head into SJDS for some bar hopping. Writing about it makes me want to go back right now! The Dreamcatcher House was beyond my expectations.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris K
Reviewed August 27, 2011

This is definitely a spot for solo travelers who are ok with no a/c and shared bathrooms. It is an amazing place, incredible people and beautiful view! It's perfect for meeting new friends and surfing Playa Maderas.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Puravidamia
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I went there for my first time in august with a friend, that's when I met Dickie, one of the guys living and working there, walking around San Juan Del Sur, he noticed our surf boards and offered us a place to stay with everything included in the price, he gave us a good vibe so we took his offer and went with him to Playa Madera, a well worth 30 minutes ride on a fun bus to get there, later I met Abes and the rest of the crew, everyone you meet there has a story that they are willing to share as well as themselves, making it a great social place to be for as long as you can, even now a year later, I’m in touch with all the guests and employees of the Dream catcher House, not only that but I’m living with a friend in London that I met a year ago at Dream Catchers.

Waves, parties, tons of contacts, great food, you name it¡ I just loved everything about it so much that I came back a few months later by myself for a whole month, I have 3 degrees related to tourism and I can easily say that the Dream Catcher’s crew are an inspiration to what every hospitality service provider should be.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Onetony
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I am writing this review WAY in retrospect, as I just finished a 4 month surf trip around the world through about 8 countries involving about 8 THOUSAND hostels, etc. The staff, location and actual accommodations at Dreamcatcher are by far the best experiences I've had throughout that entire epic journey. Everyone is curious, fun, kind, creative, active, etc, and consequently they attract the same type of travellers with whom you'll be spending most of your time. Book this if you can find availability.

Ryan

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank rmoore875
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 15, 2011

It was my first time travelling alone and being a solo female traveler in Nicaragua, I was a bit nervous. However, from the moment I landed and walked into the Dreamcatcher House, I never once felt unsafe nor lonely. Everyone was incredibly friendly and I met a ton of people who I will definitely keep in touch with. The trip surpassed all expectations. I learned to surf, practiced yoga, ate incredible and healthy food and had fun nights dancing and singing with the owners and guests. The accommodations were also great. I had my own room and bathroom and it was still extremely affordable. I'd recommend this place to anyone looking for a unique gettaway with great surfing and awesome, chill people.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank rjlande
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2011

My girlfriend and I decided to go on a week vacation to Nicaragua with some friends this July. One of our friends had stayed at the Dreamcatcher before and had given it rave reviews so we were excited to check it out.

Based on what I'd read and heard, my expectations were already pretty high, but in the end those expectations were completely blown out of the water. I've spent a fair bit of time in Central America, but I never imagined such a perfect place. Epic surfing, incredible food, pristine surroundings, and some of the best people I've ever met. I quite literally, could not have asked for more.

If you go here, you will fall in love with it. If you don't go, you will regret it. It's that simple.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
#4 of 4 in Playa Marsella
Aqua Wellness Resort
Aqua Wellness Resort
#1 of 1 in Playa Redonda

Been to The Maderas Village? Share your experiences!