“PERFECT LOCATION!!”
Review of Casa Pelon

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Casa Pelon
San Jose, Costa Rica
“PERFECT LOCATION!!”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Steps from the beach, Casa Pelon is the perfect location if you want a relaxing quiet getaway. Stumbling into this awesome bed and breakfast was not my intention, however it was just what I was looking for. I wanted to get away from it all and this was just that. I lounged in both of the big hammocks overlooking the beach, swam and kicked around a futball with some of playa marsella's locals. Surfing at playa Madera is just around the corner from Casa Pelon. Mark and Wendy are excellent hosts. Mark has a top notch smoker in which he smokes to die for sausage, bacon, and ham. Being from Texas I enjoy smoking and eating great bbq. My first morning I was given a choice of bacon or sausage with my breakfast that Wendy so wonderfully prepared. I will most certainly be back since I am now in nearby Costa Rica. Mark and Wendy provide a comfortable and clean atmosphere and the best pulled pork sandwhich ever.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Calgary
Reviewed October 27, 2011

This house is operated on a beach outside San Juan del Sur. Although the distance is short, a cab into the San Juan is about 15 minutes because of the condition of the road. The bed was dirty, sheets weren't clean. We had been in Nicaragua for three weeks by the time we stayed at Casa Pelon, and it was the worst accommodation we had. After a hard day travel, we wanted to relax, enjoy the waves, it is why we chose a place outside San Juan. R+R was pretty much impossible as the Host was having guests over that afternoon and night. The kitchen/living room is open air and the guest rooms are right off the kitchen, so there is no privacy. Although we were welcome to join the party that night, we choose to take dinner in San Juan, cabbing it both ways. We returned around 11 hopeful to go to bed. The hosts were still drinking, playing music and didn't stop till about 1 am. We left early the next morning and got a hotel in San Juan. It is their house, and they can do what they want. However, it is pretty inconsiderate since we are paying guests. So, if you want to party on a quiet beach with the host and friends - stay here. If you want to relax without feeling awkward in someone's living room - stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travelbug3032
Pelonbbq, Owner at Casa Pelon, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
The first thing I would like to say is we take our guests concerns seriously. Unfortunately it's difficult to fix problems in a timely manner when you are made aware of them 11 months after the incident. That being said, we do cater dinner party's at at our house from time to time and we try to involve our guests in them. Unfortunately we cant cancel catered events when guests arrive. They are also paying customers. We are extremely sorry for offending these guests. Our rooms are always clean with clean beds, bathrooms, and bedding before any guest checks in. Again if there was a problem it would have been easily corrected 11 months ago.

Casa Pelon is clean, affordable, fun and on the beach still!
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I don't want to write a review about Casa Pelon. I want to write a song about Casa Pelon. It would be some kind of mix of The Girl from Ipanema and Born to be Wild, with a little Jimmy Buffet thrown in for good measure. The music video that accompanies the tune would include shots of the sunset bruising the sky over Playa Marsella blue, purple, and pink; a girl being escorted along the beach by the protective and excited German Shepard Loba, hiking over the point with the daffy and lovable mutt Goma, richotcheting through the soft night on the back of a motor bike, and gathering around the table with my hosts, the jungle gourmets (Mark and Wendy) for dinner (best baked beans EVER).

• Stayed August 2011
Caye Caulker, Belize
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Thanks so much to Sr Pelon and Wendy for the good times and taking us into your home. Beautiful sea views. The wonderful hosts are informative and happily adopted us, introducing us to their friends and giving us a window into their world. The smoked meats are delicious!!

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie B
Playas del Coco
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Casa Pelon is super awesome! Super tranquilo! I dug hanging out in the hammock, shaded by banana trees, protected at either side by their awesome dogs Loba & Goma! Mark and Wendy are seriously cool and made me feel like a long-time friend immediately. And they make incredible food... the meats that Mark smokes are ridiculous and I've been wanting another one of those huge breakfast burritos that Wendy made!
Also, I really dug the location. Out of town yet not in the middle of no-where... there are places to eat and grab a beer within a short, and pleasant, walking distance.... Marsella Beach is beautiful and you'll pretty much have it to yourself.
I highly recommend Casa Pelon if you're looking for a chill, relaxing experience and want to get to know some really awesome locals! I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Bethany Beach, Delaware
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Immediately Mark and Wendy (owners of Casa Pelon) take you in like family... Rustic Style. Had a relaxing time laying in hammocks and adventurous treks to nearby beaches, cities and volcanoes.
Met many friendly people in the area that love to hang out and share good times.
Mark and Wendy are very wired with local happenings such as sunset boat tours, fishing trips, disc golf, and farmers' markets. Mark is also an incredible smoker... If your lucky you could get a possible taste test or an inexpensive meal prepared fresh in an open air kitchen.
Great security and YOU CAN'T FIND A CLOSER B & B CLOSER TO THE SAND!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
San Clemente, California
Reviewed August 23, 2011

If you are looking for 'top flight' amenities, such as a spa and linen-covered tables, this is not your place. If you are looking to really relax, enjoy excellent home-cooked meals and superb company: Casa Pelon has a lot to offer. Mark and Wendy are lovely people and great hosts. The rooms are not 'luxury', but they are clean and comfortable.
The location on Playa Marsella is amazing: you can look out through Papaya, Palm and Neem trees and watch the ocean, from the comfort of a hammock strung in the open-air living room, the main room of the Casa Pelon. It feels like being at a private beach, with only the breezes and a few plumeria blossoms floating by...I enjoyed the waves & the water, and nobody else but the cows...
It was a memorable experience visiting with the other guests, swapping stories, going to the locals Farmers Market. It is a short walk to Playa Madera, where a major surf competition was taking place. Mark and Wendy go to the charming town of San Juan often enough to get your fill of other restaurants, shops...oh, and don't miss the Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas.
The meals were good: from Nicaraguan tamales, to home-made BBQ specialties from Mark's smoker to wholesome, hearty breakfasts, always including good coffee and fresh tropical fruit. There are other places to eat (for spice-of-life variety) within easy walking distance, from high-end to very local.
They helped me with travel arrangements, from getting there, to making changes to stay longer, to getting back on the road.
I felt safe, and comfortable...and look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo