“Sand everywhere”

55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Sand everywhere”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

The beach is big and great for a walk, but the wind picks up the fine sand and you're covered within minutes of laying down. Try a lounge chair in front of one of the restaurants. The water is cold!

Visited February 2014

Cincinnati, Ohio
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Nothing really to see”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Was not my favorite place. Nothing much to do in town along with many other travelers. Food was alright. There was storm/sewer drains crossing the beach which was very a awfull smell. After 20 minutes in town you felt you saw everything. There is a lot of cheap tourist junk shops. We traveled s ll over Nicaragua and this is the last place you need to see. I will say other reviews said there was petty crimes here. I felt completely safe and didnt see any issues.

Lebanon, New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“I lived in SJDS for 18 months”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Because I have a house in a Nica barrio and actually lived there for 18 months, I can tell you NOT to swim in the cove of San Juan del Sur. Yes, the sewers run into it, when it rains all the trash from the streets run into it and once, they decided to oil the streets and guess what? The rainy season is not the time to do that but common sense does not rule here. All the oil ended up in the cove and all over the beach. It was awful. I agree with most of the comments I have read, take a shuttle to one of the other beaches further south of SJDS. You will have a much better time. And never go during Semana Santa, holy week before Easter. Literally thousands of Nicaraguense arrive and cover the beaches with no services and the entire town smells of urine. It is gross during that week.

Visited April 2013
Wichita Falls, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“typical beach town”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We spent a day that turned into a late evening at San Juan Del Sur. It's a pretty typical beach town. Restaurants and bars line the beach. The waves were small (at least at this time of year) so it made it nice to go out and swim. However, the water was not clear, and I didn't see any sea life like in other tropical beaches that I have spent time on. I was happy that there were fewer street vendors than I anticipated, and they easily moved on once you told them that you weren't interested. We wanted to find a way to hike to the statue of a saint, that stands guard over the town. But after walking towards that side of the beach and seeing sheer cliffs, we gave up. Instead we grabbed a couple of lounges and made some new friends.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“First time at Nica Pacific beach”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Fairly clean, not crowded, felt safe. Restaurants with beach chair/umbrella not far away. Calm with some gentle swells and surf.
Fine, dark sand felt more like soil. Poor visibility for swimming. Few rocks so nice for walking.

1 Thank Mitzucat