“We felt like old friends”

Rancho Chilamate Adventures on Horseback
More attraction details
Owner description: Rancho Chilamate offers guided horseback rides for adventurous travelers looking to get up close and personal with Nicaragua. The ride leaves from the ranch through the local community, into open fields and over hilltops for spectacular views, crossing the river several times for excellent wildlife viewing (almost guaranteed to see monkeys) and then to the secluded beach for a refreshment break and more riding adrenalin.This solar-powered private ranch caters to smaller, more intimate groups to ensure only the best of service. Let's Ride!
Camarillo, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“We felt like old friends”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Before booking this ride I had spent time reading the TripAdvisor reviews. Our fantastic experience was absolutely consistent with many reviews posted before. The Horses were great, the Owners were great, the Location was great and the overall experience was great. Jamie and Blue were not only good hosts, but seemed like old friends by the end of the ride. Would highly recommend.

Houston, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The most Awesome ride of your life!”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

No joke, this horseback package is a full deal. You arrive to this beautiful house and get dressed in the changing saloon room, into your riding/western wear. You then proceed to get paired up with a well taken care for horse, at which ever experience level you are. Ride through the scenic landscapes and open hills of Nicaragua. On to the open clean and desolate beach you can really open up and let your horses go! If thats what you wanna do, or you can take a nice little trout through the beach. The whole time, the lovely miss Blue, is capturing the most photogenic photos of you and your horse sharing the amazing moment! I'm serious this is such an awesome and beautiful experience, I hope you get to do it.

Vancouver, Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Ride once, twice, now like family”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I will preface this to say that I have always dreamed of riding on a beach, like so many others. There is something of magic and beauty to it. When we first came to Nicaragua in 2011, we had no intention of riding. I grew up around horses, the work horses and quarterbacks of the Canadian prairies and I had my share of rides. We had seen a lot of sad looking horses around Central America, and many people had told us that we should *not* support the tourism horse business there. We had given up on the idea until I stumbled upon Jamie and Blue's lovely website, and we asked a couple of friends in Nicaragua if we should go on over. "Absolutely, without a doubt" they said. Jamie and Blue aren't like ANYONE in the Central America or even North America. And away we went.

Our first trip in 2011 was freaking magical. I rode Conejo, who despite his little size and seemingly relaxed demeanor had some incredibly fun spunk. We got down to the beach and after some Tona beer he felt compelled to race the other horses. His target was my husband's horse, which made for some fast galloping and great fun. He was a joy to ride and I didn't know how we could top the experience. It ended up being the highlight of our five week Central America trip, hands down.

So back we came in January 2012, and Blue and Jamie were as welcoming as ever. They have grown in popularity since, but you won't find them bored or jaded with their job. In fact, there is no doubt they love it more than ever. They have carved a special place for themselves there, unlike anywhere I have been before. They are the kindest and most sincere people you will ever have the pleasure of knowing. They don't just run a beautiful ranch and keep healthy, happy horses; they also give back to their community in ways that are immeasurable. Its just not possible to be stressed or unhappy when entering their gates, something special exists there and its pretty indescribable.

I had the pleasure to be partnered with Tequila this time, and what a privilege that was. I have always had a soft spot for young horses because their earnest and eagerness is so contagious. Little Conejo rode with us again, carrying a first-timer and it was a pleasure to see him plunking along again. Tequila was as Heather stated "an incarnation of a surfer dude". Very proper description I think. He was very chill and not easily spooked, at one point a branch came time nearby and he only flinched. It was apparently his fifth time out on a ride, so I really enjoyed my time with him and finding out what made him 'click'. Its kind of like seeing the world through new eyes when you ride such a eager to please horse.

After our ride, rum, conversation and parrot games my husband and I figured we just topped our last trip out. After the trip I actually had dreams of coming back for yet another ride- at one point in my dream I took a ferry from my hometown to their place via my parents house. It feels like a second home there and we are already trying to figure out when we can come back a second time. The rides pretty spectacularly capture this part of Nicaragua- beautiful empty beaches, happy horses, lush green rolling hills + forest, tranquilo and some of the most genuine friendly people on earth. I really enjoy the staff also, especially Mama Alicia who makes the most delicious jam with her women's cooperative. They have some there to buy, don't miss out on it!

Cowgirl hat off to both of you Blue and Jamie for yet another unforgettable trip. We promise we will be among your most eager clients if/when you decide to do on overnight or multi day trip. I am already daydreaming about hanging up my hammock at a campsite, preparing for another full day of riding. Whenever I have a bad day I go to my happy place, which is either inside your house drinking mouth watering Flor de Cana rum with you guys (on an especially bad day) or on the back of Conejo or Tequila riding down the beach (on a mediocre bad day) ;) You guys have something so special. I implore any traveler, experienced on a horse or not, to cowboy/gal up and go for it!

Austin, Texas, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“WOW!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We went to Nicaragua to visit with our son who has been living there for the last 18 months. After 5 days of traveling in Northern Nica - we headed south for some rest and relaxation. Blue and Jamie provided us with a perfect day thanks to their incredible attention to detail and warm personalities.

Our horse knowledge ranged from my husband who thinks he did a pony ride at age 6, my daughter and I who have done only guided rides, to my son who has been riding since 5 and periodically helps a rancher in Nicaragua. Each of our horses perfectly matched our abilities and we all had an wonderful time. The scenery was incredible and unbelievable and there is nothing like riding on a beach and just letting the horse go!

One of the best parts, however is coming home and seeing the amazing photos taken by Blue. She caught us with the biggest smiles and signs of joy. My only problem now is where to put all the photos I printed out!

Thanks for making this an incredible family memory!

sjds
“best time”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

blue and jamie are the best! never thought i would get a rush from horseback riding, everyone gets the right horse for their ability and comfort level. Blue and Jamie are really genuine good people who love their animals and what they do, add to that a great location, animals, scenary and pool and you have one of if not the best day trips in nicaragua! thanks rancho chilamate!!