With a few improvements, this place would be awesome. I really really wanted to like it. However, here's my take on it:
The people. I absolutely loved everyone I met. So many interesting people from all over the world, and the owner and his staff were very friendly and helpful.
Super chill atmosphere. Ping pong, large kitchen, free pancakes on the weekends, surf rentals (although lots of the boards are missing fins??) and shuttles to the surrounding beaches. Everyone likes to hang out on the porch then hit up Iguana's or Black Whale together.
Common area. Lots of hammocks for chillin, free wi-fi, TV, books, etc.
Lots of light in the dorm rooms. Windows and fans help keep it cool and I love waking up to the sun coming in.
Checked into the private room ($20/night), Lucky #7 the first two nights. It was dark, even during the day. Whatever, can't be helped. One of the first things I noticed was the ants on the bed. Tiny red ones, everywhere. I spent about half an hour meticulously brushing them off, although they were still all over the walls.
The shower in the private room was FILTHY! It looked like someone took a dump in there. It didn't drain very well either so you end up standing in the grossness. I ended up using the outdoor showers as those were much cleaner. We also didn't have towels or toilet paper in the private room, and the dorms did. Weird?
Cockroaches. These critters were everywhere. We moved out of the private room and into the dorms, only to find them there as well. One girl checked out b/c one was in her bed and then my boyfriend woke up to one right next to his head on the wall in the middle of the night. Yuck!
Only one public bathroom was available in the middle of the night. They lock the doors to the outdoor ones and the one upstairs was under construction. I assume this problem is being addressed, but when there are 20+ people in house, it makes it difficult to take a late night pee run.
In the end, I don't really want to hate on this place at all. Lots of people seemed to be having a great time. I just wasn't getting any sleep and the bugs were really bothering me. Stay here if you like to meet cool people and don't mind a little bit of creepy-crawly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a boutique hostel that prides it self on quality customer service and a unique experience. Please join us at Hostel PachaMama for one of our many theme parties or an exciting daytime excursion! Whatever you decide you wont be disappointed! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Travelocity so you can book your Hostel Pachamama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostel Pachamama Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Hostel Pachamama Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur