“Awesome hostel!!”

Hostel Pachamama
Playa Avellanas, Costa Rica
“Awesome hostel!!”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I've been to quite a few hostels, but Pachamama was definitely one of my faves! The owner, Alex, and his staff are very laid-back and approachable, the beds were incredibly comfortable and all the guests seemed to be having a great time! The bathroom was kept very clean, which is difficult to do when it's used by many people, and the outdoor chill area was a great place to have a few drinks and make new friends. The location can't be beat; it's right next to the beach and close to stores and the market. I noticed some reviewers complained that it was too noisy, but when enough people get together and Flor de Cana is so cheap, a party is bound to break out! I was actually impressed by how quickly everything quieted down right at 11 pm, sometimes it's tough to convince people to leave for the bar and you usually have some loud stragglers.
All in all, a great spot to stay, and definitely one I'll be seeing again :)
P.S I have no idea why the one dude is complaining about lack of girls. Pretty sure the chicas outnumbered the guys while I was there!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Staying at Hostel Pachamama was the best choice for our trip! The prices were right on target, we felt very SAFE there, clean (which was a nice change from other hostles we have visited) and the fun... well that was in full supply! The hangout area was full of fun people to hangout with and swap traveling stories. We completely recommend it!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Clara, Panama
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We got no sleep and the place was a mess!!! If you are looking for a place to party and get crazy this is the place for you. For the same price we went to another hostel and had an amazing quiet night with a great complimentary breakfast. Definitly not the place to stay for a tired traveller looking for a good nights sleep.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We didnt mind this place, not the best or the worst hostel we'd stayed at - There's a good hang out area, fast Internet, spacious rooms and cool music. Our sheets had a few stains but nothing that really bothered us. What really REALLY left a bitter aftertaste was that they took our key deposit! We were leaving on a 6am bus (as I'm sure is not that uncommon) so payed the night before and checked out. We were told at reception that the night guard would be informed that we were leaving early and give us our $100 cordobas deposit back on our key. This was not the case! The night guard played dumb - "no, there's nothing here. Everyone's left, there's nothing here" he kept saying. It was infuriating but we had no choice but to leave without our money! $100 cordobas is not a huge amount but the whole thing still made us so angry. Either the guard pocketed a nice tip or the guys at reception got an extra few beers but either way it totally sucked!

• Stayed December 2011
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2011

I'll be quick and to the point..
I stayed here on my trip to San Juan Del Sur..
I like the board sports, I dig good music, like chicks, cold brew and eating food..
The owners of this joint like the same and it attracts cool people.

Your into that, go there..
If your into being boring then don't!

Good luck Dudes..
Johnny from Canada..

• Stayed November 2011
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed November 3, 2011

My original plan for staying for 2 nights turned into a month. This place truly is a vortex that will not let you escape. I mean that in the best way possible. Super friendly staff and owner. Only problem is the sketchy tall swedish dude. If you run into him just turn around and walk away. He is the type of person your mother warned you about. Looking into his dead beady eyes show he has no soul. I spent 8 months in central america Nicaragua was my favorite country, San Juan was my favorite town, and pachamama was no questions asked the best hostel in town. So basically my favorite place on earth. long live Gandalf.

Room Tip: stay away from where the tall swede sleeps
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
aussie
Reviewed November 2, 2011

this is one of the friendliest and open hostels that I stayed at in the 12 months of travel in central america. The people who worked there have become some life long friends and the chill out space inside on the couches and outside on the rocking chairs or hammocks made for a great environment to meet people. Yes it's true it's a party hostel and they have great themed nights where everyone gets in on the action, even a charity fundraiser while I was there for the 2 weeks. I did find some down time too to relax and read or watch some movies in the upstairs hostel rooms or on the couch. It's central, fun and very friendly. enjoy!!

Room Tip: forgot the name but it's upstairs with the painting of ganesha... an extra dollar for a private...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo