Review Highlights

A perfect day trip...

Reviewed August 29, 2018
NaomiG1167
via mobile

All reviews fishing trip tuna these guys johnny cash catching fish his team go fishing nice beach dario dorian sports sailfish surf boat captain trolling sjds
Reviewed September 11, 2018

We had an amazing time with San Juan Del Sur Surf & Sport. My husband caught so many fish, he was too exhausted to keep going but the crew helped him until he could do some more. We booked it last minute while we were on our honeymoon. The price was very reasonable compared to others. We had a really good time sight seeing as well as fishing.

Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

We were recommended to do a fishing trip while staying in San Juan del Sur. We did 2 hours of trawling and caught a few fish including a large yellow fin tuna! Then we did 2 hours of snorkeling and Dario took my boyfriend spearfishing. We really enjoying being to be able to both fish and snorkel on the same trip. The water was so warm and many beautiful tropical fish to see.
The boat was really nice, and the equipment was all really good quality and he had a great selection of snorkeling and spearfishing gear. Dario was a great host and our Captain Luis was so smiley and friendly and very experienced with fishing.
We had some cold beers and fruit on the boat and it turned out to be a perfect afternoon. We hadn't planned on doing a fishing trip before visiting the area but we are so glad we did as it was a total highlight of our trip. We got our tuna filletted at the fish market next to the wharf and we had an amazing dinner that same night!

I would highly recommend doing one of their tours whilst in San Juan del sur.

Thank you Dario and Luis!
Naomi & Eric

SJDSSURF, Propietario at San Juan del Sur Surf and Sport, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2018

Naomi and Eric,

We truly appreciate your time with us. It was a beautiful day on the water and we hope that you can get back to see us again. Australia is far but we are always hopeful. Be well and thank you for your review!!

Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

Dario continues to be a great surf, fish and overall great resource for anyone visiting SJDS or Nicaragua in general. Surf is great and the fish are biting. Don’t let any reservations about visiting Nicaragua stop you. Tourism is down which means more fish and less competition for the waves for you. Managua continues to be easy to fly into and the roads are clear. Nicaragua is beautiful and the people are so welcoming. Cant say enough about Dario and his team!

Reviewed May 19, 2018 via mobile

If you’re looking for a clean, fast boat, professional fishing crew, and amazing time this is the charter to have! I asked for Marlin fishing and they rigged us up and took me out 30 miles or so to go fishing on an 8 hour run. We saw sailfish and dolphins, as well as caught a heck of Black Marlin! The crew was knowledgeable, boat well stocked and clean, and they knew exactly where to go if we wanted a chance to catch one! I highly recommend this fishing charter.

SJDSSURF, Propietario at San Juan del Sur Surf and Sport, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2018

Aweldon,

The one thing we instill in ourselves everyday is preparation.
Our interaction with our guests is also our top priority.
I believe you said that was the first fish you ever caught in the ocean. It is going to be hard to top that one in the future but we will be here to be of service when you decide.

Thank you for choosing us and your review.

Reviewed March 27, 2018 via mobile

Me and two of my friends were looking to go fishing while being in san juan del sur! We looked up on trip advisor where would be good to go, so we stumbled across Dario’s fishing company and seems to be great! So we sent him an email and the answer was fast and easy. We were able to go out the very next morning with fantastic guys daniel and johnny cash !! They took us out for some good fishing out close to the coast because we only took the half day trip. Nonetheless, the fish were biting, the dolphins were swimming close to the boat, so did a sea turtle and we were lucky to see some whales! In all a great trip they even told us to bring the fish we caught to a restaurant that would cook it for us! So we did and it was majestic fresh fish of the day and they even made sashimi out of it perfect white tuna meal !! The only thing i would say is since we left early in the morning, the snacks provided would have been great if it would have consist a little bit more of a breakfast then chips !! But again it was awesome thanks to dario and his team !

1  Thank Jonathan D
SJDSSURF, Propietario at San Juan del Sur Surf and Sport, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2018

Hola Jonathan D,

I am happy to hear you all had a great time. Fishing can be tricky at this time of the year since the water is cold.
Good thing it was a good day!!

Danny and Johnny Cash always try their best to make sure everyone enjoys themselves.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed March 25, 2018

We arrived in San Juan del Sur on a Friday afternoon until Saturday evening. Due to a last minute cancellation from our booked boat trip, we arrived with nothing planned. We stopped by the office of San Juan del Sur Surf and Sport to see if we could get anything booked. Dario was in the office and was very informative. We chose to book a 4 hour bottom and trolling fishing trip the next day followed by a surfing excursion to Playa Hermosa. We met the next morning at 5:50am for our fishing trip. There were 6 of us on the boat and we had a blast! Our guides (Johnny and Danny) were great! We were successful catching fish on both the trolling and the bottom fishing. We caught tuna, redfish and grouper while out. The guides would let us know when there were fish while trolling then we would get to reel them in. There were snacks and drinks throughout the boat ride. Upon returning to the dock, we were picked up by Dario and taken to Playa Hermosa for surfing. It was a nice beach, great surfing instructors and everyone had a good time. You won't regret going with San Juan del Sur Surf and Sport!

SJDSSURF, Propietario at San Juan del Sur Surf and Sport, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2018

Hello Michelle,

Our main goal is that everyone enjoys the beauty of Nicaragua and what it has to offer.

You and your beautiful family will be our ambassadors in your local community.

We are glad and thankful that we were able to be part of your experience.

Come back soon.

Reviewed March 12, 2018 via mobile

So I have been in San Juan a long time. Never did a fishing trip because it was $200 and I was skeptical. Decided to finally give it a shot the other day. We went out from 3-6 pm we were told we would be taken to good fishing spots. Keep in mind I understand it is called fishing not catching.
We did not manage to catch anything or even have a bite. The boat never left the front of San Juan bay for the whole time. The crew that was suppose to be focusing on us was preparing for another trip the next day the whole time.
When we got back we were a little disappointed but more so because the boat didn’t go anywhere. When we told the manager this he just laughed at us, which we then voiced our displeasure with not going anywhere and the crews attention being focused on the customers for tomorrow.
Anyway, we asked him to give us a ride back to our hotel where he then said that’s too much gas money he can’t.
We eventually got him to drive us after a short argument about not wasting gas on the boat to go anywhere. So what was our $200 really spent on.
He continued to just laugh and was quite rude about the whole experience.
I have heard many great stories about this place but this will not be one. Manager knew I lived here too and still didn’t go out of his way to make it a great experience so he can have a good reference in town.
No more fishing for me.

SJDSSURF, Propietario at San Juan del Sur Surf and Sport, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2018

Hello Kyle,

Sorry to hear about your experience.

This is how it went according to my manager. You paid $150 for 3 hours of Bottom fishing. The bottom fishing is around spots near SJDS. I was informed that you were at the spots we fish in front of the next bay over.

All of our bottom spots are within a mile or two from the bay.

You are correct about the $200 price if you would have opted for the normal 4 hours that the trip is for. You wanted a discount and that went with the time allotted. In 4 hours we can get to spots a bit further away. Having said that we never guarantee the fishing.

As far as the ride from the port is concerned, that is never included since we have to get things off the boat or prepare for the next day. He went above the norm by taking you to the hotel where your friends were staying. But you wanted another ride to your house which is near Pacific marlin, another 20 minutes roundtrip.

Sorry the trip was not as fruitful as they usually are.

Owner

Reviewed January 15, 2018

This was my second year in a row to go out spearfishing with Dario's crew. Couldn't have asked for a better day or a better service to go out with. I got picked up right in town and we went out to various spots and spent half a day in the water. Lots of fish and lots of action. Dario was kind enough to invite me back to his son's birthday party after I was exhausted from fishing, so I spent the rest of the day drinking papaya/passion fruit rum cocktails and relaxing the day away. While I can't imagine everyone will get invited back to a party at his house, this was a great day and the fishing alone made it worthwhile.
To me, the best part is these guys are super accommodating so if you have something you want to do, just ask them. Everything is relaxed and easy, just like you want your vacation to be.

1  Thank ronbaskin
SJDSSURF, Propietario at San Juan del Sur Surf and Sport, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2018

Ron, thank you for looking us up again after your return to our little town. Always a pleasure to be accommodating whenever we can. And as the saying goes, “the more the merrier.”

Reviewed January 4, 2018 via mobile

Top notch to say the least - these men really know their job. I’m in the guiding business myself, so I understand how a client needs to be treated and handled. That being said, I also understand that a fishing trip can’t only be graded on the catch - we’re at the mercy of the weather and the fish above all else. We did however catch and we did good, hooking up with 5 Dorado and landing 3. This review is not only rated on the catch. Dario, Luis and Johnny are all the highest in client service in my opinion and experience. From all day laughs and personable conversations, to fresh cut and local fruit, great refreshments, all day music, good gear and the list goes on. I was happy from the moment I stepped on the boat to the moment I stepped off. Even if we didn’t catch I would still rate the trip as a success based on how they treat their clients, but we all know the ultimate goal is to catch and we did very well. We also saw around a dozen turtles up close during the trip. Thank you men for your time and I will be back in August for another.

SJDSSURF, Owner at San Juan del Sur Surf and Sport, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2018

Hola Jay, thank you for the great review. We love what we do and sharing it with our guests. As I tell our guests, We are in the business of your smiles and memories. We do hope you will remember these trips for a long time. See you in August!

Reviewed December 24, 2017 via mobile

Booked 2 trips with these guys. Caught some amberjack on the first trip out and Mahi Mahi on the second trip. Seen whales, sharks and turtles. Awesome trips.
The boat was well equipped with everything and the crew knows how to catch fish. Highly recommended