“Not what I expected”

Utah
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

First, the good:
-Location could not be better. Literally right across the street from the beach. Walking distance to everything but not right in the middle of town.
-food is great. Breakfast is simple but delicious and coffee and filtered water are available all day. Restaurant right out front is yummy. We'll definitely try paella Saturday on our next trip.
-room was clean and bed was comfortable.
-staff for the most part were very friendly.

Now the not so good:
The previous reviews claiming this is "not a party hostel" are not exactly true. While there isn't a beer pong table or "ladies night drink specials" etc, it was less than a peaceful environment.
I realize owners can't necessarily control the noise and activity level of guests with the exception of having quiet hours and this is a risk you take when staying at a hostel. However, when it is an EMPLOYEE leading late night sing-a-longs to Britney Spears covers that is something I would say is inappropriate. If this was before midnight I wouldn't think anything of it, but when it goes on till 2am...(or starts at 2am!) in the courtyard directly outside of all the rooms it is very disturbing and does not lead to feeling rested and ready for adventures the next morning.

I do not think this is a bad place to stay. However I think some of the reviews don't accurately indicate what you should expect. I will choose a different place to stay on future visits.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mollywood82

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This place feels like you're home. Staff and owners are the best, they make you feel like part of the family and are really helpful in arranging for anything you need or want to do. There is a really chilled out vibe with people hanging in hammocks or on rocking chairs, either in the front cafe overlooking the sea, or in the back under the palm trees. Also a lot of fun to be had. Paella night with live music on saturdays! Spent the best week of my trip here and would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed November 2013
Managua, Nicaragua
Reviewed November 26, 2013

First time I came to Esparanza they were starting a massive remodel. I stayed because it was right in front of the beach and absolutely fell in love. For me the staff was amazingly helpful and they truely made me feel like I was part of the family. I realize that being there during low season and the fact that they were remodeling ment that I was probably given more attention then normal but I keep coming back on weekends or any time I have time off. They´re starting to get busy and the place looks great now. I don´t know if it´s just for high season but they´ve added more staff, at least 2 full time grounds keepers and an American guy at reception who seems to know what´s happening at every bar every night. I try to bring my friends here any time we go to the beach. Laura, Pablo, and their 2 year old always make us feel like family and you can´t beat the location.

Room Tip: Avoid sleeping on the street side Saturday night, the bar across the street does a karaoke that brin...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 26, 2013

First of all, I had planned to stay in Nicaragua for 2 weeks and I ended up staying for an extra week to celebrate my birthday. The people over at Esperanza, over time became like a family. Not only the owners and their lovely little daughter, but also all the other solo travelers I met in the dorm room, Dexter. I stayed for the first half of my trip in Dexter, after we traveled to Laguna de Apoyo for a few days then came back to San Juan, I stayed in the other dorm with a complete bathroom, BUI. For the people complaining about common bathrooms and showers, I don't understand, you know you are staying at a hostel right? I know I always saw the workers either cleaning the patio, the kitchen, the bathrooms, and showers. I was there long enough to see it all go down. They also have a delicious little cafe/restaurant shop open to the public. The owners Laura and Pablo will help you with any questions you have about things to do and places to see and how to get there for cheapest price, etc. One thing is true that Esperanza is not a crazy party hostel, but you will find people to out with and party...or people to just go on adventures with if that's more your thing, especially when you are traveling solo. The hostel is also going through some good changes, they re-did the reception area and applied some fresh paint and remodeled the BUI dorm room and some private rooms. The pricing on dorms compared to other hostels around SJdS is good and cheap and there were no bedbugs the whole time I was there. Breakfast is included every morning from 7:30am to around 10am along with free coffee all day and fresh water as well. The hostel is located right in front of the water, literally. So you get front row seats to some of the best sunsets I have ever seen, and that saying a lot, Im from San Diego, California. Cant wait for my next trip through central and South America, I will with out a doubt stay here once more.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed November 26, 2013

At Hostel Esperanza in San Juan del Sur the staff made us feel at home, so much that we felt we were a family by the time we left. We planned to stay just 2 days, but ended up staying for 8 because we fell in love with the people and environment that Esperanza created. Within seconds of your arrival you'll be welcomed and shown the facility. You'll never be bored in San Juan del Sur because the staff will also proactively let you know what activities and events are going on each day as well as refer you to beautiful places nearby.

The hostel will also offer free breakfast (eggs, toast, gallo pinto, and fruit) to all hostel members. The owners are an incredible family who cook Paella and offer life music from their restaurant on Saturday nights. The restaurant has a wide arrangement of choices - all of which are delicious. I highly recommend Hostel Esperanza and the people who work there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Toulouse
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I was in this hostal during 2 night at the begenning and finally i was staying 2 weeks !!! The hostal is cool in front of the beach, is clean, we have fan for every bed ( so important over there...)
Every morning, we have a great breakfast in front of the waves, so cool !!!
And the personal are so great, friendly and help all the guest ....
The best hotal ever ....

Punta Uva, Costa Rica
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This establishment tends to admonish those who write less than glowing reviews, but I’ll take my chances.

I will in fairness to the hostel lead with the fact I found absolutely no evidence of the earlier, really bad review (which I read post-arrival) about bugs. None. Other than really stinky common washrooms, Esperanza was sufficiently clean and my bed was in really good shape.

Esperanza (“hope”) has a beachfront location, breakfast-included as well as free coffee `and water all going for it. One member of the staff was friendly. Rooms hint at once being chic.

Pictures show a bustling hostel with whiteboards of today’s activities. Not so. That’s a different hostel, around the corner. One perk was breakfast: bordering on delicious thanks to a growling stomach but served an hour or one and a half hours late, a problem if you are registered for Spanish classes or other prepaid events.

Rooms are pricey for what you get in Nica (dorms seem to be market value-ish): dark, mouldy, dank and not-so-charming pools of muddy water outside your door. This place is, quite frankly, depressing.

Add to that the fact that by noon the common washrooms for the dorms (right beside the private rooms that go for triple the price) are loud and are absolutely, without-a-doubt as smelly as they come, and this hostel's rating just kept dropping.

I did see fresh painting being applied to common areas, so perhaps improvements are coming for high season.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan del Sur
#2 of 67 in San Juan del Sur
Hostal Javier's House sjs
Hostal Javier's House sjs
#21 of 67 in San Juan del Sur

Been to Hostel Esperanza? Share your experiences!