“The place is ok, but not more than that.”
Review of Hostel Esperanza

and 1 more site!
Hostel Esperanza
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The location (right by the ocean) is very good and the owner is very friendly. The other staff was not really nice and the place could use much more cleaning! They never had any towels as all of them were always wet...

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Linda E

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I had to live for three days in San Juan Del Sur without any money and no place to stay while I waited for money to come in via western union. Hostel Esperanza took me in, gave me a place to stay, and let me eat at their restaurant, which serves mouth watering coconut curry, nutritious fruit/vegetable juice, and other absolutely delicious food. In my opinion, for $8.00 a night, its proximity to the ocean, free breakfast and super caring staff, hostel Esperanza is a great place to stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Right on the water; close walk to many bars, the market, little stores, restaurants, and the bus stop to Rivas. Very laid back vibe. You feel you have the freedom to do whatever you want, which can be a very good thing, but I don't recommend that you stay here if you like a strick sense of order. Though if you have a private room, I'm sure you would be fine. Pretty good breakfast is included. The staff is friendly and will lock your valuables up for you after checkout if you want to hang out in town for a few hours. There are a couple of cute cats and dogs that seem to live in the hostel. The toilets aren't well maintained and are a bit stinky. Don't leave your stuff in the shower. My razor, soap, and shampoo got stolen or thrown out. It was a great place to meet a cast of interesting characters.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I staid one night in the Hostel Esperanza in the dorm. There were no locker for personal stuff, only a common locker at the reception for the guests where everyone could serve themselves when there was anybody at the reception... The door of the dorms ( which is never closed) was situated near to the main entrance which is always open during the day until midnight...

As a result, I was almost sleeping during the night when a man, who was not a guest from the hostel, came and talked to me...
There were a lot of people who came and came back in this dorm..

Almost guests were drunk all the day.... I was so scary than I moved of hostel the day after !

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
OurPointofView, Owner at Hostel Esperanza, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Whowh! this is one of the hardest comments we ever had! What really worries me is the part about the security and would like to clarify this. It sound like we don´t have security boxes and that´s not true, we don´t have lockers in the dorms right, but at the reception the guests can use the security boxes for free if they have their own padlock and nobody else can open it. Apart from that, at the reception we also have a big security box to put big cameras and computers. The receptionist is the only one that has this box key and nobody else can open it.
About the rest of the comment, a shared dorm is a shared dorm, and specially this is for 14 people so, it has to be open the whole day. We would recomend you to take private rooms if you are so alert about your belongings and you don´t like to be disturbed. We are not a party hostel but sometimes happen that some people like to party, San Juan is a party village. Dorms normally attract this kind of people, cause are cheap and are the best option for the youngest and the craziest. Anyway, we are sorry to read that somebody had a bad experience by us, but the next time before living with such a bad taste, please talk to us and we´ll try to do whatever we have in our hand to make it better. Thanks for the commet for sure will help us to improve!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

The location is pretty good. It's right on the beach, but toward the edge of the strip. It's next to a place that plays pretty loud music at night, though it didn't bother me that much. The water pressure for the showers was very low, so I had to splash water on myself to take a shower. The bathrooms are open to the air, so sometimes you see a lot of ants marching around in the bathroom. An okay place if you don't mind having a basic place hostal (paid $8 USD for a dormitorio).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Ended up staying here for three weeks we loved it so much. The staff are great. Very friendly, great fun, helpful and would go out of their way to make your stay better. Laura (owner) is a hero who is often accompanied by her cute daughter which gives the place a nice family run feel. Lola the dog is adorable.
Rooms are clean, comfy, spacious etc
Free delicious breakfast everyday (eggs, beans, rice, bread and fruit)
Free COLD water
Free Coffee
Free Wifi (can support skype videocalls)
Lovely courtyard with BBQ
Hammocks
Right on the beach and close to everything with amazing sunsets
The hostel has a very open and relaxed atmosphere where I felt my belongings where very safe.
Really loved the place and hope to go back again some day!

Room Tip: Cabo is a really nice room quiet and cosy or the dorm with the ensuite bathroom