“Staying at the Chicabrava Surf House”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
CHICABRAVA Surf Camp
St. Augustine, Florida
“Staying at the Chicabrava Surf House”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I am the mother of Sarah Proffitt, who recently had my first grandchild. Sarah was an instructor there and Ashley so graciously rented me a room for a couple of months.
The clientele that has been through the surf camp have been amazing and my time here has been ever so wonderful. I have made many new friends from all over the world, and will cherish these times for life. My daughter has a circle of friends, who mostly came out of this camp and I highly recommend Chicabrava Surf House to anyone who would like to learn to surf!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank herblady63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed November 27, 2012

If you want a relaxing, calm, thereputic, rejuvinating experience, come here. The staff is so knowledgeble about Nicaragua, local cusoms and food, surfing and the surrounding areas. I would recomend the Cloud Farm if you need a get away combined with a fantastic learning experience. The housing was clean, spacious and very well kept. The activities were well planned, relaxing, with the right amont of challenge. I have done a lot of travel in my life and would deem this one of the best trips of my life.

Room Tip: The Cloud Farm (any room) was relaxing and comfortable. The staff was very quick to clean and take...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Savannah V
Shamokin, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Chicabrava was my first solo travel adventure. I couldn't have asked for a better experience! I spent the week with 5 other solo travelers at the Cloud Farm which was just gorgeous. In addition to learning how to surf (after never touching a surfboard I finally caught a wave--what a feeling!), we went horseback riding through the jungle, ziplining on a canopy tour, and even learned to milk a cow--we were on a farm after all! The views were breathtaking. Every meal we ate was prepared from ingredients grown right on the farm--the house staff truly took care of us. Everything was open air so you do want to make sure you have bugspray--they provide mosquito nets if you choose to use them, but I thought bugspray was sufficient. I felt safe and comfortable the entire week, and loved that the point of this camp is to challenge yourself and conquer fears (which I believe I did). I can't say enough good things about this camp--I looked it up 3 years ago and finally did it, but I say if you're even thinking of it, DO IT. Great experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kelly M
Oakland, California, United States
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I attended the ChicaBrava surf camp Nov. 10th-17th, and I stayed at the Cloud Farm. It was an amazing experience - I attended with five other girls, all solo travelers like myself, and we bonded immediately and had a great time together! Before this trip I had only surfed once before, but the instruction I received was so good that I improved immensely over the week, surpassing my expectations. The instructors, Kate and Sara, were incredibly nice and patient, and provided specific instruction that helped me perfect my pop-up by the end of the week and catch waves that I identified myself. After this week I definitely feel ready to start surfing more seriously at home.

The food was great, and the Cloud Farm was amazing - I highly recommend the horseback ride around the property. I also thought the balance between surfing and other activities was great - I had plenty of time to relax, shop, and check out San Juan del Sur. I definitely plan to go back in the future!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed November 12, 2012

A trip of a lifetime! Me and three girlfriends spent the week at ChicaBrava Surf camp and stayed at the Cloud Farm, such an amazing experience! We really had no idea what to expect before we showed up. If you're planning a trip, here are some things that might be helpful to know...

Cloud Farm vs Surf House: Cloud Farm is literally an organic farm up on the mountain about 10 minutes away from the beachfront and Surf House. It is sooo serene, beautiful, quiet, and relaxing. There is an infinity pool and hammocks for relaxing. The house staff there cooks you breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and cleans your room/makes your bed daily - so nice! The rooms are spacious and comfortable. If you're looking for a nice "resort" type feel to stay at while you're not surfing, Cloud Farm is definitely the way to go. Surf House is attached to the ChicaBrava store and is right on the beachfront. The nightlife is great, but thus makes it a bit noisier.

I had never been surfing a day in my life! The instructors were awesome and very capable of teaching all levers of surfers. I caught my first wave within the first 5 minutes and had such a blast the rest of the week!

What to wear? I went in November and was definitely glad I had a spring suit with me. The water was cold enough to me that it was nice to have this extra layer so I could fully enjoy being out in the water without having to try to stay warm. Some of the girls in my group just wore long sleeve rash gaurds though, and seemed to be fine.

Definitely book your trip if you're trying to decide!! My 2 girlfriends and I all have daughters the same age, and we're already planning our trip back with them in the future :)

Room Tip: Cloud Farm is amazing - serene, quiet, relaxing!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This establishment more than lived up to my expectations. I stayed at the surf house in town, and the accommodations were immaculate. Our house mother, Wokilorre, kept the place very clean and neat, and fed us the most amazing breakfasts. The open windows with the consistent breeze from Lake Nicaragua were always refreshing. As expected, staying in town was a beehive of activity with plenty of restaurants, Tona, and ceviche. The scene isn't quiet by any stretch, and if you like to go out and dance till the early hours of the morning, it's nice to be able to walk a few blocks to the retreat of your bed!

If you're looking for a quiet, retreat experience, the surf house is not for you. Instead, Chicabrava has an alternative accommodation at their Cloud Farm location, which will give you that quiet, mellow retreat experience. It's located on a private, sustainable farm complete with a fishery, and plenty of gardens with local fruits and vegetables. It's breathtakingly beautiful, and away from the bustle of activity in San Jaun Del Sur.

As for the instructors and the organization of the surf camp, everything was exceptional! We had about 20 hours of water time, and our instructors were knowledgeable and patient. They were professional when they needed to be, and a hell of a lot of fun when not in instructor mode! We had a professional photographer for 3 days of the camp, and he captured some great shots which were for purchase at the end of the camp. There was a well-planned schedule for each day, but it was always flexible and subject to change if needed.

You won't regret this experience. Chicabrava is top notch.

Room Tip: Surf house = don't mind a little noise Cloud farm = don't mind it super quiet
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Nicole D
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Just spent an awesome week at Chicabrava Surf Camp with 5 of my girlfriends. After reading reviews and looking at pics we decided to stay at Cloud Farm instead of the Surf House. We definitely made the right decision for our group. Cloud farm is fantastic! The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The bathrooms are spacious and attractive. We slept with the windows open and awoke to the vocals of the howler monkeys every morning. I especially enjoyed coffee (with a little Baileys) on the lanai each morning chatting with my girlfriends and gazing across the infinity pool to the ocean. The indoor space was also comfortable but we took advantage of the warm weather and spent the majority of our free time outside.

As a vegetarian traveling to a Latin American country I didn't have high expectations for food. I expected to survive the week on bread, gallo pinto, and cervezas. Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised with the food at Cloud Farm. We feasted family style on fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs, avocados, soups, pastas, and desserts. I never left the table hungry. There was also plenty of chicken and fish for the meat-eaters.

If the accomodations and food met my expectations, the Chicabrava instructors and staff definitely exceeded them. We received excellent guidance from Sarah, Kate, and Elsi in the water. Even with 8 campers, we each received personalized instruction and everyone improved greatly by the end of the week. We laughed til our abs hurt bouncing around in the Landy with Jerson, the instructors, and some cold Tonas. Sarah and Kate had neverending patience with our energetic group as we constantly made requests to stop for beer, sunscreen, chocolate, ATMs, birthday cakes, etc. The staff at the house was also amazing. They catered to our dietary needs and responded to requests for more eggs and coffee with a smile.

The last day of our trip after we finished surfing we had a birthday party on Nica Surf and Sail's beautiful catamaran. Captain Zach and his crew were super cool. The rum drinks were plentiful and the scenery as we sailed north up the coast was incredible. After sunbathing, feasting on guacamole, sailing through a storm, catching a glimpse of turtles and whales, we concluded the cruise with a bikini dance party in the bay while we watched the sunset. A perfect ending to a perfect trip! So much fun!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends