“Amazing experence!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of CHICABRAVA Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
CHICABRAVA Surf Camp
Boulder, Colorado, United States
“Amazing experence!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

I wasn't sure what to expect when I booked the trip, but everything exceeded my expectations! I received one-on-one instruction since I was the only beginner, but was still able to hang out with the experienced surfers. My instructors Anne and Sarah both had different backgrounds and perspectives which was great.

I loved the town, the beaches, and the laid back culture. I would definitely recommend the camp to anyone!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Redondo Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

Chicabrava does it right! The camp was very well organized and great attention to detail. The staff and coaches were awesome. I did a Cluoud Farm Camp and will definitely do it the same way next year. The house was beautiful and the food was simple, healthy and delicious! Months later I am still dreaming about the experience and comraderie and the gorgeous waves. Sweet!

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

This was my first trip to Nicaragua. I stayed at the Cloud Farm. We were 5 in total and our group included both beginner and intermediate surfers. The small group atmosphere was very pleasant. The view of the Bay and San Juan del Sur from the Cloud Farm was amazing! The rooms were comfortable and clean. The housestaff were very courteous, diligent and accommodating. The food was fresh, plentiful and delicious (including different freshly-made tropical juices every day). The surf spots had great waves and were relatively uncrowded. I appreciated the fact that we could either all surf at the same beach or divide up and go to different spots based on our abilities. The instructors were very attentive and interested in our progress, and provided helpful feedback every day. I definitely made progress over the course of the week. I will be back someday!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
      Location
      Rooms
Davis, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

Chicabrava is quite the experience, and I will definitely be going back. The Cloud Farm was luxurious and roomy and had great house staff and breathtaking views of San Juan del Sur, the Bay, and the Pacific Ocean. The surf camp was exactly what we needed. We were a group of 5 beginners (only 2 of us knew each other), and the surfing experience was tailored to our needs. Surf spots were chosen based on our input and the best surf conditions for the skills we were working on that day. We had 2 instructors in the water at all times plus one on land providing feedback. The beaches were gorgeous and relatively uncrowded. The water was nice and warm, and there were no sharks to worry about. The surf instructors are rad and the locals are warm and hospitable. I went on this trip to work on becoming a Chicabrava, and I am definitely proud of myself. I came home feeling empowered for learning to surf. I have a few bruises, but I'm very proud of them! The most difficult aspect of the whole trip for me was getting accustomed to indoor/outdoor living in a tropical environment. I was kept awake each night by the sounds of insects, geckos, monkeys, and birds, but I'm a light sleeper anyway. I don't think the noises bothered the others.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

This is a great place to learn to surf, learn Spanish and learn about the Nicaragua culture. The surfing instructors are very knowledgeable and patient with beginners. The Spanish teachers help improve one's knowledge of the language and I was able to carry on a small conversation with the locals after one week! The staff at The Surf House was helpful, kind and provided great tips for getting around town. Breakfast was great every morning and we ate out for lunch and dinner each day and never had a bad meal. I would encourage anyone to make this trip for a great adventure!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Montecito
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

I recently spent a week at the Chica Brava Surf House.
How can I describe a perfect week in one paragraph?
The entire staff was wonderful, kind, professional and experienced. When my plane was late and I missed my shuttle, one was arranged for me. When my luggage was lost, The instructors brought their personal equipment to share with me. We surfed great waves suited to our abilities and learned so much while having a great time.
I would recommend Chica Brava to anyone wanting an adventure while feeling safe and in good company.
Bravo, Chica Brava!
Nancy Boothby

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Aberdeen, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

Chicabrava is an amazing surf school and camp, but beyond that, it's a mindset. The staff and campers during my week were all adventurous, upbeat, and accomodating. The Surf House was welcoming and inviting for relaxing times in between surfing and other adventures. In the house you'll find hammocks to lounge in, a bunch of movies to watch on the common room tv, a fridge, games, and musical instruments to play. My room was perfect with bunk beds to really add to the youthful and fun summer camp feel of the house. Yet it was decorated with thought, paintings on the wall and matching bed spreads. The surf shop in the house was great for providing fun clothes to try on and purchase. Breakfast every morning was served for the group and during this time we would talk about our surfing plan for the day and assess our goals in the water. I loved everything about Chicabrava and can't wait to return for more surfing, house fun, and girl adventures.

Room Tip: If you have trouble sleeping with loud music playing, pick the room with three beds right behind the...