“The ultimate Surfing expereince with Chely”

Casa Oro Eco Hostel
Los Angeles, California
“The ultimate Surfing expereince with Chely”
Reviewed March 31, 2010

Casa Oro is the perfect location for the adventurous traveler. This hostel has all the accommodations and information one would want for exploring the area of San Juan Del Sur including the rest of the country of Nicaragua. The hostel has a very tranquillo environment, perfect for cooking, lounging, watching surf videos and meeting other young beach goers. It is a surfers dream for the convenience of the reliable shuttle services to a variety of beaches. The staff working at Casa Oro is also very helpful and friendly. The ladies at the front desk are very gracious and as agreed with the previous commenter, Chely “the do it all guy” is one of a kind. Having traveled many places, I have never met a more welcoming employee. His charismatic personality and insight made our trip a once in a lifetime experience. If you are a surfer, the boat trips he offers are a MUST. It is a perfect opportunity to get to the secluded off the map waves without the crowds. Chely is also is a phenomenal surf instructor, all my friends were catching waves in 2 days. I basically wanted to write this review for the main purpose of giving Chely more exposure. He is a true diamond if the rough and made our trip so memorable its one for the books.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank ElleLane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2010

Me and 3 friends spent a week on and off at Casa Oro and had a great time! The facilities and location are perfect, and we really had a great experience here. The rooms are spacey and the kitchen is great, plus free internet and tons of lounging space and surf videos for days! What really made it stand out was the amazing staff. The front desk ladies were always so nice and helpful, and the events guy, chelly I think his name was, was absolutly awesome! He helped us out with everything and was so friendly and took us on sweet boat trips and made us tastey punch!
I would definately reccomend this hostel!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Was in Nica again, and stopped by to say hello (we are older and require AC, so didn't stay there, but I think I will try it next time!). It's hard to imagine having a bad experience here. It's a fun place to hang out, I got an impromptu tour and everything was clean and well maintained, and if you want to do anything nearby (surf, go to the nature preserve, check out nearby beaches, hike, etc.) this is a great place to make arrangements and/or find others to share a ride or an adventure. The owners are local, very friendly, tri-lingual Sp-Eng-Fr (at least!) and committed to developing responsible tourism. They like to help out other growing businesses, which says a lot about the kind of people they are. They just completed a rooftop lounge with amazing views of the beach, the village and the surrounding hills! With only two visits, I feel like I have friends in San Juan del Sur - a great feeling when you're far from home and struggling with the language.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Tremblant
Reviewed January 30, 2010

I had a memorable time at the Casa Oro. The staff is nice, courteous, professionel. Owner of this inn has manages to create a moving plate for the organization of everyone stay. I recommend it for the one who has a budget to respect and who wishes to have it most for his money has San Juan.
Furthermore, we can feel that landlord are involved in the sustainable dévellopement and the protection of the écosysteme of the region.

Benito

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
victoria
Reviewed January 22, 2010

although the surf instructor was fantastic, the rest of my experience here was horrible. the place is a dump. the rooms are like caves and the common area was a mess, not very inviting at all. also, the owners were not very nice (i'm trying to be polite). i will definitely be writing to lonely planet about their bad recommendation.
there is a great place to stay right around the corner, closer to the beach. its called pacha mama and it was great, stay there instead.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank heavydeligjht

Travelers are raving about these San Juan del Sur hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 10, 2010

Casa Oro definitely has a lively backpackers vibe with people regularly moving in, out and about. Communal kitchen is great for meeting people. Staff is extremely friendly and pre-gaming for the long stretch of bars on the beach often happens in the early evening at the hostel.

Best part is the surf instructor, Alfredo, who started the surf school. I've been on a weeklong surf camp in Biarritz/San Sebastian and have taken courses in Costa Rica--I could never comfortably get up on a board. Within an hour with Alfredo, who takes the time to examine your body style, etc., I was coasting.

$20 buys you a lesson, transport to the beach, rash guard, board... and the lesson can last all day.

Great place. Great people

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
jackiemcd
Reviewed September 13, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Casa Oro in their 'best and nicest' room with private bath. While I can say that our private bath was nicer than the shared bath in the hostel, that is not saying much. To give some context, we spent our whole trip staying at hostels so we were not expecting much, and our room was actually decent size. The problem was that the room was not safe. It had it's own entrance from the street, while the rest of the hostel is guarded my a doorman and has a locked gate at night. We were really uneasy as someone was trying to open our door in the middle of the night. We also had to close our windows at night for safety but this made our room as hot as an oven. We came a day earlier than planned and they were able to put us in our room early. But, the next day when I said that we felt a bit uneasy and would want to leave one night early to spend the last night of our trip somewhere else out of the town, I got a rude scolding from one of the front desk girls about how I should have thought about this before I paid, blah, blah, blah. A simple no would have been better. Then, when we we both came down with a serious stomach bug and had to cancel our surf lesson, again we were met with rude comments and told we would not get a full refund, even though earlier in the day, someone else at the hotel said we would. Like I said, I have stayed at some pretty basic hostel rooms along the way on our trip through Central America, but this place really rubbed me the wrong way and we met many travelers who shared this sentiment.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple