Myself and my friend stayed in a private room at this hostel recently and both had money stolen presumably by staff. Our room was locked and secure so it had to be stolen by someone with a key. We both has approximately US $150 each in the room but only $60 was stolen from each of our bags, probably so it wasn't do obvious straight away. We confronted the staff about this at the front desk and they didn't seem to care and tried to tell us that our key was the only one to our room when there is obviously a master key. This happened when we caught the hostel shuttle to the beach ( so they marked off our name at the desk and knew we were out). We talked to another traveller in a private who said his luggage had been rummaged through when he was also at the beach but he had fortunately taken all his money with him. We were very angry about this and the staffs lack of care when we made the complaint.
The shower also had big clumps of hair in the shower and the toilet didn't work properly, we had to flush it manually.
Overall I would not stay here again or recommend it. I have travelled for 6 weeks and this is the only hostel I would never go back too
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Oro was the first hostel and surf school in San Juan del Sur. Before that it was an obligatory spot on the historic gold route through Central America. Today, Casa Oro is the first eco-hostel in San Juan del Sur, part of the Circulo Initiative, a family of for purpose businesses in pursuit of regeneration. Tourism growth and development often leave destructive side effects for cultures, communities and the environment. It doesn’t have to be like this though. We find inspiration in how nature works and use this as our compass for holistic creation. In everything we do, our aim is to leave places better than we found them. So far, it’s working. -- Just a hop, skip and a jump from the beach, Casa Oro offers a variety of budget-friendly accommodations designed with conscious backpackers in mind. We have both dorms and private rooms available. All of our dorm beds come equipped with privacy curtains for your convenience. The second and third floor boast a balcony that wraps around the entire building. A scrumptious breakfast is included with any stay along with free Wi-Fi, lockers (bring your own lock), free filtered water and access to a communal kitchen. Friendly vibes and hugs are also included at no extra charge. Our beach shuttles are conveniently located just outside the front door, surf school is downstairs and there’s even a RestoCafe/Bar, so all you’ve gotta do is roll out of bed and everything’s at your fingertips. We’ve also got donation-based yoga classes regularly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Casa Oro Eco Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Oro Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Casa Oro Eco Hostel Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur