“Couldn't ask for more!!”

Casa Oro Eco Hostel
San Juan del Sur, Rivas, Nicaragua
“Couldn't ask for more!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

When arriving, I was greeted by the owner whom genuinely invited and welcomed me into Casa Oro as if I was family. I was given a proper tour of the entire hostel,including the rooftop bar which contains a beautiful view of the city. Conveniently located in San Juan Del Sur, any type of tour you would like including boat excursions, sailing trips, surf trips, boards, a full kitchen and free breakfast I don't see how any traveler could ask for more considering the affordable prices. All positive thoughts about Casa Oro from this traveler and I hope more will continue to experience what I am now!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Granada, Nicaragua
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

They are really organized and have lots of tours and excursions to organize. Clean rooms and helpful staff. What stands out is the free breakfast, that a cook prepares for you: breakfast burritos, french toast, etc. Party atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

This hostel is clearly the 'backpackers choice' hostel. I'm sure plenty of people have a great experience there, as there are always plenty of people hanging around to meet. However, we had a terrible experience.

On our 2nd night there, we realised that we had been bitten by bedbugs (I got about 70 bites, my partner got about 40 bites). Initially the staff were fairly good with this, moving us to another room, arranging for the first room to be fumigated etc (although I think there was someone else staying in that room that night, so I'm not sure if this was done).

However, the treatment from then on was dispicable. I obvioulsy got everything washed that had been in contact with the bed, but instead of refunding my costs for this, the owner in fact BLAMED ME for bringing the bed bugs in. This is certainly not the case - the bed bugs I saw under the mattress ranged from very small to fully grown adults, and there were also plenty of 'shells' which the bugs leave when growing. These bed bugs had been there for quite a while.
The owner even had the cheek to tell me that it was a benefit that I had got my stuff washed!

After about an hour of argueing (after which the whole hostel knew about the bedbug problem), the owner relented, and gave us USD5 off the room (which covered the washing costs). The owner was full of himself, telling me that "he couldn't do this for everyone", but in the next breath telling me they never have problems with bedbugs (clearly not true judging by other reviews on Tripadvisor!!).

Other staff members were unhelpful too (e.g. Me: "The wifi isn't working", staff "Oh - it probably needs to be refreshed" - and that was it).

The hostel has a policy of not being able to consume any alcohol on the premises - unless you have bought it from them, at vastly inflated prices. I completely understand this in the bar, but we were told off for even taking a bottle of rum into our room (which we were packing to take to Costa Rica). Pathetic.

The wifi basically did not work for the duration of our stay (3 days - we actually left San Juan after their attitude was apparent). We were told to use the wifi that I think came from a nearby building instead!

I would avoid this hostel at all costs, and instead try the one half a block closer to the beach - Pacha Mama.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PLPKN

Travelers are raving about these San Juan del Sur hotels

Antigua, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stayed at casa oro for a while a couple of months back and really enjoyed my stay there,
this hostel has everything you need, beach transport, bi lingual staff, wi fi and alot of travel information also they run a shuttle service to the border granada etc. Breakfast is included in the price and is actually really good, changes every day plus coffee!there is a lovely downstairs area with hammocks and fruit trees and there is also a chilled rooftop bar with a great ocean view, very nice at sun set, the rooms are cleaned daily and the dorms are nice and airy, this hostel also has good cooking facilities for all guests to use aswell as large fridge and freezer, this is a great hostel to meet new people and i would highly recommend checking this place out if you are going to be in san juan any time soon!!!Josh, Manchester.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Bocas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

I booked a shuttle and rented a board from the owner one morning and as the shuttle was loading up to depart for the beach I inquired as to whether they had enough surfboards. After two weeks in the area I had learned to run this simple check. Well, they were short a board for me so I went to collect my (paid for) board and the owner of the place berated me for not having informed him before everyone was set to leave--as if this was MY oversight and not his! I was stunned. Here I am, The Customer, and there he was--with my money--and he was lecturing me on how I was holding up the shuttle! Completely nonplussed but wanting to surf, I said, "Hey, just give me a board, I'll toss it up on the rack, and we're outta here, no big deal". But it was a Big Deal to this guy who just would not let it go that somehow I was to blame for the board not having been loaded! I have a real problem (after running four successful businesses) with business owners who just can't figure out which side of the cash transaction they are on, so I told him to give me a refund and I found another outfit. Don't support this jerk.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank WTSkipper
Maui, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

Casa Oro is centrally located in San Juan del Sur, walking distance from all the things you need including several banks, supermarkets, outdoor markets, and the beach.

As a solo traveler, I enjoyed meeting new travelers, as the hostel is a popular stopping point for short-term travelers. As well, long-term travelers also frequent the place, making it ideal for me to get to know others for awhile.

The staff is friendly and will help you out with any problems you may have. Wednesday nights is BBQ & music night at the top floor and the hostel provides lots of information on tours, surf rentals, and other trips you might want to take in and around San Juan del Sur. Free breakfast in mornings too (pancakes or breakfast burrito with fruit).

Some things to note: Since Casa Oro is centrally located in SJDS, be aware that it "can" get noisy, so if you can't sleep with noise, then I suggest staying at their sister hostel: Casa Maderas. They provide shuttles to and from Playa Maderas, but if you want to mostly surf, then I suggest again, staying at Casa Maderas.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank HurricaneHarrison
Monteverde, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

Btw location was about as good as it gets
Wow, this place is excellent overall, go above and beyond to make you feel comfortable and welcome. This is genuine hospitality.
The rooms are good value, very clean and have everything you need.
I had a great time there even though we only stayed two night. The owner was very helpful and friendly. He helped set everything up for our travels and spent a lot of time talking to him even after we checked out. The breakfast was good and the room was clean! Excellent service and I would recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends