Casa Oro Eco Hostel
Hotel & Resort Palermo(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$116
$109
$105
$100
  • Pool
$365
$310
Hotels.com
Casa Bahia Hotel(Playa Marsella)(Great Value!)
$60
Hotel Victoriano(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$105
$75
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort(San Juan del Sur)
$42
$34
  • Breakfast included
El Jardin Hotel and Restaurant(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$65
Barrio Cafe Hotel(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$65
  • Restaurant
Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa(San Juan del Sur)
$220
$206
Priceline
Costa Dulce(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
$150
All reviewsfree breakfastsan juanshuttle servicein townplaya maderaswould stay here againbooked a private roomground floorevery morningcentral locationbreakfast burritoclean roomsother travelersstayed here for nightsyoga classesdormcasa
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Btw location was about as good as it gets
Wow, this place is excellent overall, go above and beyond to make you feel comfortable and welcome. This is genuine hospitality.
The rooms are good value, very clean and have everything you need.
I had a great time there even though we only stayed two night. The owner was very helpful and friendly. He helped set everything up for our travels and spent a lot of time talking to him even after we checked out. The breakfast was good and the room was clean! Excellent service and I would recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank HotelSloth5
Reviewed March 10, 2012

The only reason we stayed at this place was because another hotel let us down at the last minute. As we were on Ometepe the day before with no PC available we consulted the Lonely planet guide and phoned the Hostal. They were very helpful and despite the fact we couldn't book a room online they took our credit card number to make the reservation. This was at the discretion of the manager so we were very grateful. We found the staff very helpful and friendly. They gave us a private room which had no windows and was above the courtyard. The LP guide did not mention the rooftop terrace bar which played loud but good music until 11pm. However someone staying at the hostel decided to put on a tinny radio downstairs in the courtyard. When I went down there at 11.30pm they took one look at me and turned the radio off. It is a good cheap place to meet new people but we would have preferred a quieter place to stay. The breakfast was decent enough but it felt like we were queueing up for school dinners. We liked most of the staff and the room was clean enough but only suitable for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Not recommended for non back packers
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Munbun
Reviewed March 6, 2012

My plan was to stay in San Juan for a couple of nights but ended up staying for weeks. The main reason for this was hostel Casa Oro. As a solo traveler it was perfect for me, everything I needed. I made lots of new friends from all around the world to hang out with at the beach or to party with at nights. They had amazing breakfast, regular shuttles to and from the beach and a very comfy roof top bar where to spend hammock-time during the day and meet new people at night or just to chat with the nice bartender. I also made friends with the rest of the staff. Even though all of their English wasn't perfect, they were communicating with smiles. Room (dorm upstairs) was really nice and quiet, so I was also able to get my good night sleep when ever I needed. Location was also amazing. For this price (9 USD) Casa Oro is a great value. All in all it was a really good experience and I would highly recommend it to everybody.

Room Tip: I liked my dorm upstairs.
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Although it came highly recommended by "the book", Casa Oro is an average hostel. The rooftop bar would be an amazing hangout spot to meet other travellers, but wasn't really being used when I was there. The rest of the hostel didn't have a "hang out" feel to it, and it was hard to meet other travellers. Breakfast was average. Ground floor dorm rooms are VERY noisy, and dark. Staff more willing to help in Spanish. Reports of bed bugs were disconcerting (I didn't see any), and we ended up needing to stay somewhere else while they fumigated. The (fee-based) shuttle service to Maderas was excellent, and good for surfers (though you can use it even if staying somewhere else). On the plus side, the location is good.

Room Tip: Ground level dorm rooms are noisy - check out other rooms.
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I decided to stay at Casa Oro because of how often it was mentioned in Lonely Planet....and I was not dissapointed!!

My highlight had to be the free breakfast...it was different everyday (breakfast burritos, pancakes with fruit, nica food, etc) and every option when I stayed was great! I have stayed in a lot of hostels, but I have never had a free breakfast that was so good.

Casa Oro is a great place to meet people, yet its not an all night party place, so in the middle of the night I was able to sleep well. I even met a lot of people from other hostels as Casa Oro seems to be the main place in town to take a cheap shuttle to the good beaches. The rooftop bar is also a great place to make friends and is open to guests from other hostels. I was lucky as I actually was there on one of the nights that they had a live band and BBQ on the roof top bar...a real treat and a very fun evening.

I didn't need to go anywhere else for my activities as they offered everything I wanted and took care of all the details for me. Sailing, Surfing, Canopy Zip-lining, Fishing, Yoga, Beach Shuttles and Turtle Tours were some of the things they offered and I wish I had had time to do them all!

The dorms were kept nice and clean and were pleasant to stay in. I decided to go for the slightly more expensive dorm rooms upstairs ($9 a night) as the idea of a non-smoking floor appealed to me. The staff all spoke plenty of English to understand what I wanted and were helpful and friendly.

I'm not really one to write reviews, but I enjoyed my stay here so much that I thought it was time to start. All in all, I would for sure recommend this hostel to anyone headed to San Juan del Sur.