“Healthy relaxation amongst tranquil beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Finca Las Nubes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Finca Las Nubes
San Francisco
“Healthy relaxation amongst tranquil beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

Delicious food fresh off the sustainable organic farm. Wonderfully amazing people that make it all happen. Gorgeous sunsets to look forward to. Restful sleep that accompanies full days of play. I had a most pleasant and enjoyable time and will be returning for more of the tranquil beauty at Finca Las Nubes!
Much love,
Veronica Penn, C.M.T.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2010

Our trip from Syracuse (cheaper than Ottawa, ON) was long, but made worthwhile by our stay at Finca Las Nubes. The staff are topnotch; even more, they are multifaceted, as they do seasonal duties of tour guide or assisting on the farm during rainy season. Locals from San Juan Del Sur, the staff know the area and provide detailed suggestions for a variety of palates and tastes. Marcelino, our guide for the week, organized ziplining (a must!), provided updates on recent volcanic as well as earthquake activities, and drove us from Managua to SJDS. Lucky for us --- the trip from town to SJDS should not be undertaken if you're not absolutely sure of your directions.
Great sunset drinks high above the crescent-shaped SJDS bay. We had a cooling breeze through the night. The mornings were punctuated by howler monkeys which awoke our group of 11 to organic Nicaraguan coffee, brewed on Chris' farm not too far from Finca Las Nubes. Strolling on the farm the following day took us to the woodshop to see rudimentary machines producing locally-grown cedro macho chairs and furniture. Chris had the artisans provide me with a disassembled rocking chair which I've rebuilt for my wife while watching TV here in Ottawa.
Our travelling troupe of adults and kids were fed with national Nicaraguan dishes as well as locally caught langoustines - Adaluz the head housekeeper is a true gem, as is Fernando the sous chef. The house we stayed at was built from local material - the original concrete form structures are still evident if you visit the woodshop down the road. Our horseback ride took us through the farm past stables, chickencoops, and sustainably reseeded plantations. The aquaculture ponds (almost complete) will provide fish for local consumption. Chris' granddaughter Mia will soon have a school on the farm, providing education to the growing gaggle of children around the Finca. Chris has taken a holistic concept approach to sustainable life – an American Nurse Practitioner and physician have been housed on the farm to provide medical care as well as language instruction to locals wishing to brush up on their English skills.
Day trips such as the yacht charter from Pelican Eyes hotel took us to a private beach, where the drinks (Flor de Cana rum!!) and food were served under a tarp slung to protect against the sun. Scuba diving is available – be sure to go diving on a calm day, as windy days make for zero visibility. Day trips to Granada and Masaya provide cultural as well as artisanal richness
Downtown SJDS sells good quality cotton hats and golf shirts – the El Colibri seafood pizza had eight enormous shrimps on each pie-slice, with a langoustine in the centre of the pizza!
All in all, a great stay! Thanks Chris and team – keep up the good work toward creating a truly eco-friendly sustainable haven at Finca Las Nubes.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Canadiantraveller36
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2010

It is called the 'Farm of the clouds', but it should be called Heaven. We were met with a sensory overload. The view was breath taking. The rooms look out over the beautiful landscape to the town and then the ocean. The sunsets were amazing, followed by the night sky with more stars than I knew were possible. The staff were all very warm and friendly, and always there to answer any questions. The staff were more efficient than I could have ever imagined. Not only did the wash and fold our laundry, they had sewn on a button on pants that had been missing for months. There was never a shortage of things to do at Finca Las Nubes. We could hike, horseback ride, and play with the resident monkeys, or just lounge by the infinity pool, just to name a few. We were thoroughly impressed by what Chris Robertson has done with his property. He has created amazing organic gardens, a wood shop where they make their own furniture, he has replanted his property with native plants and trees, and soon he will have his own aqua farm up and running. We were touched to learn how many local people Chris employs and how much he has given back to the community. Chris has built a clinic, basketball court in town, and has offered to help build a skate park for the youth. We were sad to leave the paradise we called home for ten days. We will be back as soon as possible.
Ben and Caroline Penn

3 Thank joedido
Sauk Rapids, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2010

We just returned from a truly magical stay at Finca Las Nubes. My partner and I stayed there with my parents, who before this trip, had never been out of the US. Finca Las Nubes was the absolute best choice we could have made for lodging during our stay. It was much more than a bed to sleep in--it was a place to belong and be part of something beautiful, if only for a week.

Our true adventure started when we landed in Managua and learned half of our luggage was still in Houston. After embarrassing ourselves with our terrible lack of Spanish at several places in the airport, we began to realize that left to our own devices, we may as well plan on never getting our luggage back. But then Baldo appeared. He should have been wearing a cape, because he turned out to be our super hero! He marched down to the baggage office and took care of business. He quickly became our saving grace on this trip, and I'm not sure what we would have done without him.

Once we arrived on the farm, our luggage drama became irrelevant. All of our nerves and anxiety quickly melted away. We were met at the gate by Jose, who became one of our favorites on the farm. His smile and laugh were so contagious. What a wonderful man! We would bring him a Coke every now and again, and I have never seen a man so gracious and appreciative for such a small gesture. He even gave us a little monkey show, which we thoroughly enjoyed. He was such a delight.

We stayed in Casa Buena Vista, the smallest property on the farm, but perhaps the best views and the most secluded. The house was amazing. Everything was open-air and the breeze coming off the ocean down below was such a great relief. The pool was awesome with its built in bar, and it was definitely one of our favorite places to hang out when the afternoon heat got intense. The rooms were much larger than I expected; each with its own bathroom, which is a nice luxury when traveling with family or friends. Usually the kitchen is a very important part of a vacation rental to me, but not at Finca Las Nubes. At Finca Las Nubes, Juan and Ada Luz became the important part of the kitchen!

Juan Pablo was an excellent caretaker. We couldn't communicate with him much because of our lack of Spanish, but that didn't discourage his warm smile and his incredible work ethic. He always seemed busy taking care of something, whether it was doing our laundry, preparing our meals, cleaning the pool or sweeping the floors. He worked so hard to keep everything running smoothly, and I just wish we could have communicated our appreciation to him better. I couldn't wait to get out of bed every morning, because I knew Juan would be in the kitchen, starting the coffee and the delicious breakfast, with a huge smile on his face.

And Ada Luz. A true chef, and probably one of the sweetest human beings on the planet. She was so patient with us when we would butcher whatever Spanish words we were attempting to say. She was a true gem. The food was absolutely delicious, and as a picky eater, I always had plenty to eat. My partner teased me that in six years of eating with me, he had never seen me clean my plate so many days in a row. Everything was so fresh, organic and made with care. We only ate out a couple times during our stay, because the thought of missing out on an "Ada Luz creation" didn't seem like a good idea. The juices were delicious and I was never able to pick a favorite because they were all so good. We ate everything from lobster to shrimp to pineapple chicken, and it was all delicious. We joked about leaving my dad at the farm and taking Ada Luz home with us, because after a week with her cooking, you wonder how you will ever make a meal at home that won't pale in comparison.

And then there was Baldo, who we kept running the entire trip. We tried the Flying Frog, went to see a volcano, walked the beaches, took surfing lessons, toured Granada, explored San Juan Del Sur, wandered through markets, went fishing, got massages, explored caves and had too many adventures to tell. And we drug poor Baldo along for the whole ride! But in all my travels, I have never encountered a better tour guide than Baldo. He had a bizarre amount of patience with us, and we could not be more grateful to him. He was like an open book of knowledge to us, and we just couldn't help picking his brain. He tolerated our endless curiousity and games of 20 questions with such ease and a great smile. And he even got my partner Randy standing up on a surf board by the end of their lesson, which was priceless. Honestly, for what we paid to stay at Finca Las Nubes for a week, we got our money's worth just out of Baldo alone.

The property at Finca Las Nubes and the homes are beautiful, but it's the people that make Finca Las Nubes truly special and unique. Walking around the farm, we were so amazed at how many people are employed there, and how much pride they all take in what they are doing. We tip our hats to Chris, the owner, and to all the workers on the farm. As a business owner myself, I know how difficult it is to have even a few employees who are inspired by their work. But on the farm, everybody seems to be working hard and taking pride in what they do. It was remarkable to witness.

Finca Las Nubes is not luxury in the traditional sense of 500 thread count sheets, Egyptian cotton towels or fine silverware. If those things influence the quality of your vacation, then perhaps Finca Las Nubes is not the place for you. But if you seek your value and luxury from warm people, culture and experience, then Finca Las Nubes is a perfect place to spend your vacation, and a perfect introduction to one of the most beautiful countries in the world. I have stayed in hotels where rose petals are put on my fine linens before I crawl into bed at night, but none of those places have come close to the real luxury at Finca Las Nubes. We slept every night with our doors wide open to the jungle (our personal choice-all the doors can be closed at night), and we were able to let nature in, bugs and all. We shared our room with geckos and spiders (again, our personal choice-we were told Juan would remove any bug we didn't like) and loved every second of it. There was not one time during our vacation that I regretted our choice of coming to Nicaragua or staying at Finca Las Nubes.

Overall, there is just too much to say about Finca Las Nubes and not enough words that seem to do it justice. You can't describe the feeling of waking up every morning to fresh, jungle air and the smells of salt water, coffee and heat all mixing together. There is something magical about Finca Las Nubes (and Nicaragua) that I can't seem to find the words to express, but it's there. I fell in love with the country, the people and the farm. I have been a lot of places, but never have I fallen this hard in love, and I can't put my finger on exactly why. You have to go experience it for yourself.

My advice to those thinking about a Nicaraguan vacation is to email Chris today. Don't wait! Finca Las Nubes is an incredible value and a great way to experience Nicaragua. The food is terrific, the staff is patient and doting, the views are amazing, the beds are comfortable, and the experience is unforgettable. My only words of caution are that once you go, prepare to fall in love and spend your time back at home trying to figure out how to return again and again.

3 Thank ackangas
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2010

It started when Marcelino met us at the airport and we felt like a part of the Finca Las Nubes family during our entire trip. Chris and Natalie were such great hosts and we are so impressed with what they are doing for the community. Jose was at the gate to greet us each time we arrived and left the farm. The staff was there for our every need. We always felt safe and were made to feel totally welcome by everyone there. The people in the town were also very friendly. Unlike many towns, the locals seemed to embrace the tourists and many treated us like old friends.

The farm is so beautiful. We thought we would want to leave the property more, but one of our favorite activities was just walking or horseback riding around the farm. We saw lots of wildlife. It was really neat to see all the organic fruit and produce growing everywhere. The meals prepared with the food from the farm were amazing! We ate one meal at a restaurant in San Juan del Sur and it was good; however, we all agreed that we would not miss another meal at our house. The flavors were so incredible that none of us ever even picked up a salt or pepper shaker. There was always a pitcher of some sort of fresh fruit – which always mixed perfectly with the Flor de Cana!

We stayed in Villa Hermosa. The rooms were simple yet beautiful. They are filled with gorgeous wooden furniture that is made on the farm. The infinity edge pool made for an incredible view and framed some of the most amazing sunsets I have ever seen. The swin-up bar and ping pong table also added to the fun!

There are a lot of fun activities nearby – sailing, fishing, surfing, zip lines, etc. We certainly were never bored. We even had a masseuse come to the house two days out of the week and had a yoga session poolside. There were numerous times throughout the week that one of us would stop and say, “I can’t believe this is my life right now.” Finca las Nubes is so great because you get to feel like you are in a resort while still being immersed in a totally new culture.

This vacation was the best value we have ever found. In fact, the vacation was better than any other we have been on and we probably did not spend more money than if we would have just stayed home for the week. The only negative thing I have to say about the trip was that one week was just not enough!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Jill_Cl
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2010

We stayed at Finca Las Nubes in the Villa Hermosa over New Year's with 2 other families. We had a beautiful experience. Chris and his wonderful staff took such good care of us from meeting us at the airport to setting up surf lessons. The house and view were amazing and we loved the pool! Analuce and her assistants cooked us tasty meals with fresh veggies and the best fresh-squeezed juice imaginable. And the coffee...yum!

We respect what Chris is doing down there in San Juan del Sur. He makes you want to move down there and join the cause. My children had so much fun on the horseback ride around the farm, and couldn't get enough of Pepito, the monkey.

Thanks to Baldo and Ana for taking such good care of us and providing us with insights into local culture we would not have gotten otherwise. We hope to come down again and see you all. Lastly, as other reviewers have said, it's so wonderful you almost don't want to share it.

My advice to anyone going down there...go with an open mind and lots of bug juice!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank stellak73
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2009

My friends and I were a bit nervous after reading articles of tourist experiences in Nicaragua. However, after arriving at Finca las Nubes, we stepped into a hilltop paradise straight out of our dreams. Located 10 min from town on a beautiful breezy mountain farm, we lived in a state of luxury. When either swimming in the disappearing edge pools overlooking the ocean and surrounding valleys or hiking the butterfly trails or observing the howler monkeys who live here; we felt extremely blessed.
The service was excellent and the nica food delicious. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
We had surfers in our group and they had a great time with very fun waves.
The location of this place allows you to disconnect from the hustle and bustle of town if you desire, while also making it convenient if you wish to go.
This place is beautiful and built like a palace. Thanks again to the staff
Go to Fincalasnubes.com for pics