“Great trip with kids” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Finca Las Nubes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Finca Las Nubes
Takoma Park, Maryland
“Great trip with kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

We're a group of 4 families that's been vacationing together for 4 years. We started with Negril, moved on to Roatan, and then to Akumal. In each place, we've been lucky enough to stay in very good, very well-reviewed places, thanks to the many TA reviewers to whom I owe ALL of my wonderful vacations. Each year, we we have been very happy. But Finca Las Nubes! It outdid them all.

The minute we pulled up to our house, everyone started raving. And they never stopped. When I first booked these two houses that were was not on the beach, I was nervous. We have 9 kids among us, and water is crucial. I needn't have worried. The pools at FLN are gorgeous, and the kids loved them. Turns out, it's a lot easier to supervise kids in a pool than at a beach...

Besides, beaches weren't too far away, and made for nice afternoon excursions. We'd recommend Playa Hermosa. There's a bar/restaurant and plenty of shade. The surf is gentle and they were releasing baby sea turtles when we visited. We all got to help guide the little guys into the water. Unbelievably cool. We were all teary.

We also really liked Playa Maderas, though it's a surfer beach, and is reputed to be too rough for little ones. I can't really speak to that, but on the day were there, the shallows would have been fine for todders. Littler kids would probably like the tide pools, too. It's a beautiful, wild beach, and great for walking. If you like the Outer Banks in North Carolina, you'll be fine here.

Our kid (ages 6-12) rented boogies boards ($5/day), and had a blast. So did our husbands (ages 46-52), though they're not nearly as nimble or cute. Mind you, we walked past the main beach -- two small coves up -- to get some space from the party scene. (If, for no other reason, that we felt like a bunch of frumpy, middle-aged ladies.) It didn't hurt that we had our own cooler (thank you, FLN) full of Tonas and Fantas. The surf here was much gentler, but there are some submerged, flat rocks. We had not problem with them, but we made all the dads stay in the water to supervise.... Also, there's no shade, so you might want to rent an umbrella elsewhere. (Or paint yourself like mimes, as we did.)

But, back to Finca Las Nubes: It was hard to leave. We all loved just hanging out by the pool. The views are just as good as the photos on their website suggest. I can't imagine a prettier place.

The staff there was great. Nice, responsive, unobtrusive, and very hardworking. For each meal, they checked in with us to see what we wanted, and then went above and beyond to provide it. One of the owners, Natalie, mentioned that "moms love this place." Well, she's right. I loved it. They did everything, and all I had to do was read and sleep....Heaven.

We rented one car through Finca Las Nubes, and I'd recommend doing the same. With our $400/week truck came our driver, Ricardo. Ricardo took us everywhere. He let the 9 kids ride in the truck bed through Finca Las Nubes, until we hit the main road. Those kids were so happy. He lead our caravan of rental cars to the best beaches and elsewhere. Though we were never pulled over, he was well prepared to deal with local police on behalf of the entire group, should a problem arise. He suggested good places to buy various items. And, most important, he was an all-around good guy. Everyone enjoyed talking with him and really enjoyed learning about Nicaragua from him.

Beyond beach trips and long mornings, aside we also enjoyed playing with the two resident white-faced monkeys, milking the cows, collecting eggs, riding horses ($20/pp per trip, but well worth it), bottle-feeding baby pelaguays (sp? -- a sheep-goat hybrid, I think), and just walking the roads and trails of Finca Las Nubes.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'd be happy to help.
Temple

3 Thank temple44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

Stayed in Casa Buena Vista for 1 week. Amazing view--thus the name. I am used to and demand year round air conditioning, but the breezes here are such that a/c is not needed. Ada was our chef and her dishes were wonderful using home- grown produce. Her staff was very accomodating to our group of 15 spread over 2 houses. Augie the house dog and Gringo the cat gave the place a homey feel. Carlos and Frank, our drivers, were helpful, courteous, and provided local insight to the area. We even hooked up for a sailing expedition on the Must B Crazy at NicaSailandSurf.com. All in all, I would go back in a heartbeat. Great stuff.

3 Thank Bill L
Conroe, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

A large group (15) of us stayed at FLN for a week. From the time we arrived we were waited on hand and foot. Ada, Juan and the gang were on top of everything 24 hours a day. Our drivers (Carlos and Frank) were excellent as well. I lost my passport during the trip, Chris (proprietor) arranged an appointment at the US embassy and Carlos drove me to Managua and back (2 hours each way) without batting an eye. Most people from the states are accustomed to air conditioning, and being from Texas I am pretty used to it. However, its not necessary one bit at FLN. With the doors and windows open the breeze keeps your perfectly cool. I'd recommend this place to anyone, especially if they have an appreciation for sustainable living. Chris is taking extraordinary vision, which may be considered impossible by others, and is transforming it into a reality. Hats off guys, keep on doing what you're doing!

Occidental, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

My husband, our daughter, and two friends enjoyed nine days here and plan to return next year!
The rooms are great with ensuite bathrooms. The poolside lounging was spectacular, with a view overlooking the bay of San Juan Del Sur. The food was delicious and varied, prepared whenever you desired. The owner and his daughter were wonderful, as was the help...from driver, to cook, to maid, to personal assistant /concierge. We loved the permaculture aspect of the property, with the thriving reforestation and woodworking, vegetable gardens, animal husbandry, and wildlife...you'll never forget the sound of howler monkeys! Another amazing thing about this place is the wind that refreshes the hot afternoons....at least 10 degrees cooler than down in town, which is only a few minutes away. We enjoyed the horseback riding on the property and ventured to the zip lines at Da Flying Frog...an exhilarating experience!
All in all a fabulous trip. Thank you Finca Las Nubes!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

My family and I just spent a week at Finca las Nubes and we were all blown away by our experience. The house was beautiful, as was the scenery. From the moment we arrived, the staff started doing everything they could to ensure that our stay was as comfortable as possible. One of our bags got delayed on the way to Nica, and Natalie and Chris were both quite helpful in helping us figure out how to retrieve it. They always had their doors open and were happy to let us use their phone and hang out around their house, playing with the animals and just admiring their view.

We took advantage of plenty of the activities, including a horseback ride around the property, zip lining, surfing, and a little exploring in San Juan del Sur. Mel, Reina, Lidia y Ricardo were very helpful and friendly. The meals that Reina and Lidia prepared were some of the best I've ever had. Ricardo came to the house each morning to check in and formulate a plan for the day. He even went out of his way to find a yoga instructor that would come to the house and do a morning yoga class with us - and that class turned out to be the best I've ever had. Amber was a great instructor, and I'm grateful to Ricardo for connecting us.

My sister-in-law had a birthday while we were there and, upon finding out about it, Lidia and Mel took it upon themselves to plan a surprise party, complete with cake, balloons, party hats and a piñata. All of the staff went above and beyond whenever they could (Mel even apologized for the bugs...which clearly weren't his fault).

I am essentially terrified of all bugs and, while I screamed at the bees and spiders, they did not detract from my experience whatsoever. There were a few scorpion encounters on our last night, which made it hard to sleep, but nobody was stung or bitten by anything. Bottom line - be aware of where the bugs may be hiding and you'll be fine.

If you go, make sure to do the Canopy Tour at Da Flying Frog, and the horseback tour with Jonny (we got to hold a 2 day old goat!). Pick up a few bags of coffee - it's delicious. Most importantly, take the staff's advice. They know of all the great things to do and you won't be disappointed if you listen to their guidance.

None of us wanted to leave Finca las Nubes or its spectacular staff and I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to return someday soon.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jillian H
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

I just spent a week at Casa Carol Anna in Finca Las Nubes with my family for vacation. We all had a fantastic time. The house was great, the pool was perfect for cooling off in the hot afternoons and the staff was fantastic. Mel, Reina and Lydia were our main staff and they were very accommodating. Mel was very reliable for answering questions and making sure we had everything we needed. Lydia made excellent, well-balanced, healthy meals for us to enjoy. Reina kept our villa clean and orderly and helped make the amazing meals.

We did a good job of taking advantage of everything SJDS and Finca Las Nubes had to offer. We took a horseback tour around the property, went for hikes on the property, surfed at Playa Hermosa south of town, zip-lined at Da Flyin Frog, enjoyed happy hour in SJDS and soaked up the sun. My sister-in-law had her birthday while we were there and Mel put together a fantastic surprise party complete with a cake, pinata and balloons. Ricardo was our driver for the week and made sure we were able to get where we wanted to go safely. He also arranged for a yoga instructor (Amber, she was excellent) to come to our villa for a morning yoga session.

As far as bugs are concerned, yes, there are bugs and geckos around, particularly at night. If you've ever been to camp, gone camping or otherwise been outside of your house, you'll be perfectly comfortable. We did come across a scorpion but it was minding it's own business and once it was exposed, it scurried off. The bugs were at worst an afterthought.

Take a horseback tour if you can (Jonny was our guide, he was great. If you want a horse with speed, go for Pollo. He likes to run.), check out the woodshop (one of our group had a beautiful custom cutting board made) and buy some coffee from the store near the entrance (so good, enjoyed a cup or two every morning).

We couldn't have had a better time. Chris the owner has created a special place and it's definitely a destination I will be back to again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Greg H
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

We came Finca Las Nubes for my cousin's wedding. The Houses are beautiful, The views are amazing. We stayed in the Retreat, 16 of us. The service was amazing. Ada Luz is such a caring lady, she gave us superb service. I called her at six in the morning acquiring for the kids to milk the cows, she answered her phone and made it happen. Gracias Ada Luz! Usted es muy amable. Izaura and Yelmer gave us great service. They were up at six in the morning preparing our coffee and getting ready for the day. The food was AMAZING. The chicken they served us the first night was delicious. The guizo de pipian...to die for. My husband loved the fish (he's not a fish eater). We loved the fresh drinks they made for every meal. They cooked whatever we asked for.

Chris, the owner, came welcomed us the first night we arrived. He brought us beer and Natalie, his daughter brought us Flor De Cana (Nica Rum). About the bugs, Yes, there were bugs. My daughter got stung by a scorpion. It was in the towel, make sure you check the towels before using. What do you expect? You are in the jungle. My daughter will talk about it for the rest of her life. You visit Finca Las Nubes to relax. You could drive down to the city. For us, it was out of the ordinary.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family