“Couldn't have asked for more”
Review of Finca Las Nubes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Finca Las Nubes
Reviewed January 18, 2012

My family and I just spent a week at Finca las Nubes and we were all blown away by our experience. The house was beautiful, as was the scenery. From the moment we arrived, the staff started doing everything they could to ensure that our stay was as comfortable as possible. One of our bags got delayed on the way to Nica, and Natalie and Chris were both quite helpful in helping us figure out how to retrieve it. They always had their doors open and were happy to let us use their phone and hang out around their house, playing with the animals and just admiring their view.

We took advantage of plenty of the activities, including a horseback ride around the property, zip lining, surfing, and a little exploring in San Juan del Sur. Mel, Reina, Lidia y Ricardo were very helpful and friendly. The meals that Reina and Lidia prepared were some of the best I've ever had. Ricardo came to the house each morning to check in and formulate a plan for the day. He even went out of his way to find a yoga instructor that would come to the house and do a morning yoga class with us - and that class turned out to be the best I've ever had. Amber was a great instructor, and I'm grateful to Ricardo for connecting us.

My sister-in-law had a birthday while we were there and, upon finding out about it, Lidia and Mel took it upon themselves to plan a surprise party, complete with cake, balloons, party hats and a piñata. All of the staff went above and beyond whenever they could (Mel even apologized for the bugs...which clearly weren't his fault).

I am essentially terrified of all bugs and, while I screamed at the bees and spiders, they did not detract from my experience whatsoever. There were a few scorpion encounters on our last night, which made it hard to sleep, but nobody was stung or bitten by anything. Bottom line - be aware of where the bugs may be hiding and you'll be fine.

If you go, make sure to do the Canopy Tour at Da Flying Frog, and the horseback tour with Jonny (we got to hold a 2 day old goat!). Pick up a few bags of coffee - it's delicious. Most importantly, take the staff's advice. They know of all the great things to do and you won't be disappointed if you listen to their guidance.

None of us wanted to leave Finca las Nubes or its spectacular staff and I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to return someday soon.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jillian H

Reviewed January 15, 2012

I just spent a week at Casa Carol Anna in Finca Las Nubes with my family for vacation. We all had a fantastic time. The house was great, the pool was perfect for cooling off in the hot afternoons and the staff was fantastic. Mel, Reina and Lydia were our main staff and they were very accommodating. Mel was very reliable for answering questions and making sure we had everything we needed. Lydia made excellent, well-balanced, healthy meals for us to enjoy. Reina kept our villa clean and orderly and helped make the amazing meals.

We did a good job of taking advantage of everything SJDS and Finca Las Nubes had to offer. We took a horseback tour around the property, went for hikes on the property, surfed at Playa Hermosa south of town, zip-lined at Da Flyin Frog, enjoyed happy hour in SJDS and soaked up the sun. My sister-in-law had her birthday while we were there and Mel put together a fantastic surprise party complete with a cake, pinata and balloons. Ricardo was our driver for the week and made sure we were able to get where we wanted to go safely. He also arranged for a yoga instructor (Amber, she was excellent) to come to our villa for a morning yoga session.

As far as bugs are concerned, yes, there are bugs and geckos around, particularly at night. If you've ever been to camp, gone camping or otherwise been outside of your house, you'll be perfectly comfortable. We did come across a scorpion but it was minding it's own business and once it was exposed, it scurried off. The bugs were at worst an afterthought.

Take a horseback tour if you can (Jonny was our guide, he was great. If you want a horse with speed, go for Pollo. He likes to run.), check out the woodshop (one of our group had a beautiful custom cutting board made) and buy some coffee from the store near the entrance (so good, enjoyed a cup or two every morning).

We couldn't have had a better time. Chris the owner has created a special place and it's definitely a destination I will be back to again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Greg H
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We came Finca Las Nubes for my cousin's wedding. The Houses are beautiful, The views are amazing. We stayed in the Retreat, 16 of us. The service was amazing. Ada Luz is such a caring lady, she gave us superb service. I called her at six in the morning acquiring for the kids to milk the cows, she answered her phone and made it happen. Gracias Ada Luz! Usted es muy amable. Izaura and Yelmer gave us great service. They were up at six in the morning preparing our coffee and getting ready for the day. The food was AMAZING. The chicken they served us the first night was delicious. The guizo de pipian...to die for. My husband loved the fish (he's not a fish eater). We loved the fresh drinks they made for every meal. They cooked whatever we asked for.

Chris, the owner, came welcomed us the first night we arrived. He brought us beer and Natalie, his daughter brought us Flor De Cana (Nica Rum). About the bugs, Yes, there were bugs. My daughter got stung by a scorpion. It was in the towel, make sure you check the towels before using. What do you expect? You are in the jungle. My daughter will talk about it for the rest of her life. You visit Finca Las Nubes to relax. You could drive down to the city. For us, it was out of the ordinary.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Gisselle P
Reviewed September 8, 2011

The rustic house was beautiful and the people who served us as well as the driver were just fantastic. However, the house is in the middle of the jungle. Therefore, all kinds of insects crawled inside the house. Specially at night time. Since there is no air condition in the bedrooms or bathrooms all windows and doors are to be kept opened inviting spiders,scorpions, wall lizards and toads inside. Three people in the group got bitten, one by a small scorpion, the other two, we do not know what bit them. Seven of us got sick with diarrhea and chills. The crucial time for us to leave the house was when we found a tarantula in one of the bathrooms. We could not sleep thinking that any kind of animal will get in our rooms while we slept. Other problem was the rough slippery roads toward the house specially when it rained. We never filled safe to go to San Juan del Sur at night thinking about the darkness and dangerous roads. For sure it was not a pleasant experience for none of us. If we would know ahead of time we had to deal with all these animals and insects, for sure we will not rent this house. If you are a nature freak and do not care about sharing your environment with them; then it is the kind of place for your vacation. Otherwise I do not recommend this place.
Ginette Peralta

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Ginette Peralta P
Reviewed August 25, 2011

food en personal was excellent
the drive on the hill was bad ,so driving any where was a problem ,far away from the city and beach
the villa ,building very nice but ...no airco and a lot of bug's , no closing doors
1 off the kids had a bite from a scorpion.....
5 from the 14 got sick .3 off them with a fiver .....2 day's in bed
most off or 14 persons did not like it ,we left 2 day's earlier to a other hotel ,Chris give us the money back for the 2 day's food

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank turnhout36
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I firstly would like to apologize for not posting comments sooner, we have been preoccupied with a family emergency. The Villa is beautiful, clean, and private. Upon arriving at FLN we were greeted by Natalie, the owner's daughter. She answered any and every question we could think of and even provided us with an easy to read book of "things to do" and general information about Nica in general. The next morning Chris, the owner, greeted us and even "fixed" one of our hammocks, in which we never realized was hung up differently from standard. I think Chris is very smart and cognitive to how a business needs to be run. We adored Luz and Juan who cooked us breakfast, lunch, and dinner, always with a smile on their face. I can't even tell you HOW HARD these two people hustled to try and make guests feel comfortable and pampered, you almost feel guilty. TIP THEM WELL!!!! I enjoyed daily hugs from Luz and enjoyed watching Juan giggle as our 6 year old amazed him with some pretty good magic tricks. One evening, Chris and Natalie, sent down some warm, homemade bread from their Villa for us to enjoy with our dinner. To the people who claimed, "OMG, he got bit by a scorpion!" DAH! It is Nicaragua!! Stay somewhere within the comfort zones of the US!! We saw scorpions too but were intrigued. By the way, Natalie talks about scorpions the first night she greets you, which we learned a bee sting is worse than a scorpion bite. There weren't any mosquitos. I am a germ freak and was not concerned, ever, about cleanliness at the Villa. Our sheets were crisp and white and washed throughout our week's stay. We frequented cute little San Juan Del Sur and loved the little shops and great eating spots. It is like a little surfer town. We were never scared in Nicaragua, even if we ventured out at night. My 6 year old tried surfing and is addicted. We went ziplining which was great!! I think we went to the same zipline place as the contestants from survivor Nicaragua. We were able to chase down the pretty creepy moan of the howler monkey, which revealed a sweet little, adorable animal. We were able to hold and play with a couple of monkeys. My son got to milk one of the farm's cows. The farm does have 24 hour security. Even though I never felt unsafe in Nicaragua, the 24 hour security did add extra comfort allowing me to sleep with my bedroom door wide open to the freshness of Nicaragua. For those reviewer who complained that their friends could not get through the gate, isn't this what we look for when visiting another country? Safety, protection, reassurance. Thank you to the security at FLN. Thank you to Luz and Juan. Thank you to Chris and Natalie.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank catchthetrain
Reviewed May 18, 2011

This a special place I had the absolute good fortune and pleasure of visiting while on a yoga retreat.
The land itself is amazing -- an opportunity to stay on a beautiful, sustainable farm that has resort style accommodations, amidst nature with great hiking right on the property, convenience to remote beaches and town, and a staff that is full of generosity and a view that is nothing short of breathtaking. The food is lovingly and well prepared, healthful and the staff is cognizant of special requests and dietary needs. I felt safe and secure there as well. It is no frills but still had a feel of luxury.
The owner is trying to create awareness about sustainability and efforts throughout the farm are evident to do so but it is still a luxurious place--a great balance.

My one suggestion is better hangers and/or drawer storage for clothing.

Room Tip: Email directly with the owners