“New and comfortable hotel stay!”

InterContinental Xishuangbanna Resort
Ranked #5 of 358 Hotels in Jinghong
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The hotel was located only 10mins away from the airport, and just opened in April 2013, the rooms were all very new. It was a huge hotel consisting of more than 500 rooms. Each room was very big, had a balcony and a walk-in wardrobe with a spacious bathroom consisting of both a bath tub as well as a shower enclosure, complete with double sinks. The bed was very comfortable too. Given its proximity to Pu-Er, the hotel may want to consider including tea pots in its rooms for tea drinking. Wi-FI was fast and efficient, with no need for password. Interestingly for a Crowne Plaza hotel, there was not turn-down service.

Breakfast was located at the 2nd floor overlooking a pond, with the resident peacocks and geese wandering around the breakfast area. The restaurant was very crowded (since it has more than 500 rooms) and quite often we had to queue at the buffet spread. The spread on the other hand was extensive and included both western and local Yunnan cuisines. It even had the local famous roasted chicken.

There was a variety of restaurants in the hotel - local Chinese, Thai and Dai cuisine. We tried both the Chinese and the Thai restaurants, both were very good and tasty. However, the hotel should have a more extensive wine list at its restaurants, the wines were limited to a handful of Chinese liqueurs, beers or Chilean wines. In all the restaurants, we were given an iPad to order our food from the menu, while this was very efficient and prompt, we found this very unfriendly and not personable as many of the items require more introduction or explanation from the service staff. Hotel guests receive a 10% discount while dining at the restaurants.

The spa was quite a walk from our room, located across the health club (which had an indoor pool!). Apparently a presidential suite villa was converted to house the spa. As the hotel was only opened for a few months, only body and foot massages are available. We had very good massages from the Thai masseur ( her name is Nu Sita) and a local Chinese masseur. Both were very professional and friendly. They both kept apologizing profusely that other services like facials and body scrubs were not available. Hotel guests also receive a 20% discount for spa services. The hotel should consider getting the guests to fill their details before the treatment to indicate preferences or pain areas.

Overall, it was a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 3224 and 3226, while it is not too far from the lobby, it was relatively close to...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MuffinEats

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I finally organized a 2nd family tour after 20 years, the city is where my mother dreamed of when she was young, now we came to make her dream come true.

The resort locates in a fantastic area - very quiet location away from the city center but easy to get to it as well as the airport. The entire decoration is pretty much Dai Style, it looks amazing but once paying attention to details, you could clearly see that there were pretty much needs to be improved, especially the cleanness. The room is good, very big and comfortable, so is the bathroom. The balcony with great garden view is amazing. But one thing I can't take is the noise from the A/C Unit, very loud during evenings.

The service is totally beyond my exception, people were so friendly and I love to see their pure smiles. But it seems like some of the HSKP staff doesn't even speak much Mandarin.

We tried 3 restaurants with different dishes, all of them were so good, especially the Thai Restaurant, you gonna take a try.

I have to mention the Concierge is quite helpful and warmhearted, they offered several suggestions for city tours, but not to charge too much.

Overall, this is a great experience. I definitely will recommend my friends to come and have a stay or several stays.

One note I'd like to mention is that the resort is quite big, you need to ask for a hotel map upon C/I. On the way to the rooms, there is Business Center where you can check the activity schedule inside the hotel, you may kindly arrange yours accordingly.

Room Tip: There is a big area with all A/C units. I don't remember the unit number of the building nearby...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I am staying in crowne plaza from 13/12/2013 - 16/12/2013 (yes, I am still here...) and had realized that the software needs improvement. I am a Intercontinental hotel group platinum members for many years and currently a gold ambassador (Yes I had not been staying intercontinental group for a while while staying more in starwood hotel group. You can see differences in the type of service. I had came back to staying in intercontinental group and realize that truly some hotel services in the group are still lacking).

Since 13/12 till now (15/12), it had been raining daily and we cannot really go out and enjoy ourselves. We had used the sauna, swimming pool facilities and the staff there was great.

There are currently 2 power trips that I had encountered in crowne plaza xi shuang ban na on 14/12 (in the evening) and 15/12/2013 @ 1440 hrs The hardware needs to be improved. I had called guest service center @ 12.40pm and 2.35pm, there isn't anyone who pick up the call. Probably the staff are having a siesta in these rainy days...

You can't even get an umbrella in the conceirge when you asked for it. They just tell you sorry they don't have any more umbrellas without even the initiative to find for you. They got the cheek to tell you politely in this manner as if just telling you to [--]. The same applies to the gym/swimming pool staff this afternoon (15/12/2013 between 12.50pm - 1pm). My nephew, father in-law and son had only one umbrella and need to go from the gym/swimming pool to the chinese restaurant. Request was been made to the staff to either lend them an umbrella or escort my father-in-law with an umbrella to the chinese restaurant. This request was lamely rejected by a super lame excuse that we do not have enough staff. Is this the type of service in a 5 star resort hotel by the intercontinental group? Why do the staff not take the initiative to call for more personnel to ferry them across? Is not the staff trained to handle these basic situations or basically they just don't give a damn about the customer at all and there isn't any proper motivation to perform in this hotel? Is there a reward and penalty system and a culture to motivate these people for the benefit of the customer?

The cleaning staff in the hotel (I believe she was a dai) was great. She greets every customer she meets with a smiling face with a good work attitude. The front desk personnel needs to exude more smile to customers rather than having a sullen face.

There are just too many loiters (I termed them mosquitos or flies that annoys..) in the main hotel lobby asking you whether you require a rental vehicle with drivers. This is the first time I had encountered this syndrome in Crowne Plaza globally. I had stayed in crowne plaza all over china including its sister hotel in lijiang and I did not even encounter such syndrome whereby the hotel management don't even give a damn on managing these "mosquitos"

I had lunch at the chinese restaurant in the hotel this afternoon (15/12/2013 @ 1300 hrs). I had ordered standard dishes. However, there are 2 dishes that was upsized to medium without my knowledge. The staff had taken their own initiative to upgrade the dishes to medium capacity without telling me and expect the customer to foot the bill that differs from the main menu because of their initiatives. I had told the staff to inform the customer in advance of any initiative that they are going to take if it incurs additional cost to the customer and not just do it at the cost of the customer without the customer knowing it.

There are no proper shuttle buses schedule in the hotel. You have to ask the concierge and it depends on their mood whether they want to entertain you on the request to go to the city.

As you can see, it is really a disappointment on the software perspective. They had great hardware but lacking in software. This hotel had been opened for 8 months, so I see that 8 months should have enough time to train and manage it properly.

For the price you pay for this type of service, I will give it a miss in future if I am back in this town again. Local habits are hard to change and only a strong management team with proper management systems can rein it together.

Room Tip: Blk 1 and Blk 2 is closest to the lobby. Blk 7 and 8 is the club intercontinental rooms are the fart...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
JBchina, Manager at InterContinental Xishuangbanna Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear TCN Singapore
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to give us valuable feedback.
We are very sorry that your experiences in our Resort were not satisfactory. Guest satisfaction has been our number one priority from when we opening this beautiful Resort. However we know there are some gaps that need improving and you comments have identified some of these.
We also feel sorry the weather was not good when you stayed with us. Xishuangbanna is famous for beautiful weather and is normally dry from December to March. The recent weather is extremely unusual.
If you would like to contact me for more information on what we are doing to make the Guest experiences in Crowne Plaza Resort Xishuangbanna more consistently excellent please drop me an email. We would of course love to have you return to the hotel in the future as our guest so we can show you our improvements.
jim.burton@ihg.com

Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Just spent a few days there on a conference with about 200 participants (they can handle 800). Everything was perfect: location, rooms, meeting facilities, gala dinner, organization, friendliness and professionality of the staff. The central garden with the pools really nice also for families, a kids' delight. Well done, need to come back!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I are frequent travellers both in Asia and Europe. Xishuan Banna is a stunning place to visit but accommodation can be a problem.The Crowne Plaza resort deserves the five star rating by any criteria and we will return without a second thought.The staff are superbly trained and english speakers are easily accessible.The food is diverse and first class.
Dr and Mrs Ian Jagelman

Room Tip: rooms near pool and gym are convenient
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This place is a must visit during your trip to Jing Hong! It is like walking into another world. It has a distinct Thai/South East Asian feel, an amazing lobby & beautiful landscaped gardens - which the hotel seems very welcoming to explore & take photos of! They even have peacocks wandering around. The pools are amazing and comfy lounges - great for warm afternoons & a good book! There is a shuttle bus into the city - it is not in the main part of the town. You can hire bikes and explore a number of nearby Dai villages (also some great mountain bike tracks near by if you want more adventure). The hotel has 4 restaurants -we have eaten at 3 of them & enjoyed them all. Our kids liked the kids club - has a ball pit & the staff were happy to watch our kids whilst my husband & I had dinner - bonus! Definitely the best hotel in Jing Hong, nothing else comes close - we will be regulars!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
JBchina, General Manager at InterContinental Xishuangbanna Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Dear Su H
Thank you very much for your kind comments. I will pass this on to our staff who work very hard to please all guests.
I am really pleased you enjoyed our lovely resort and look forward to elcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

This hotel has exceeded all of my expectations in so many wonderful ways. Its hard to believe such an amazing piece of luxury can be found right here in Xishuangbanna! Everything about the hotel is magnificent - from the rooms and amenities down to the menus and service - simply THE BEST hotel in the region!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Kao-Paigu
Thanks very much for your kind review of our Resort. We are very pleased to be the first full International Resort in Jing Hong, Xishuangbanna and we continue to work towards ensuring every guest has a great stay.
I will pass your comments on to our hard working staff.