“Central location, good value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mekong River International Youth Hostel
and 1 more site!
Mekong River International Youth Hostel
Shanghai, China
“Central location, good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights and were pretty pleased. our room was on the fifth floor (no elevator), we had a small balcony facing the main street but it was high enough to not be bothered by the noise. The shower was decent with hot water all the time. Also we had AC, TV and great WiFi. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the location is excellent. Overall great value for120 per night.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shiran B

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Clean, helpful, very good location, and since we are in China: having a balcony instead of the stained carpet and smoked room was heaven.
Western breakfasts just opposite, a good Thai one step further and other good restaurants and coffee shops on the same side of the road.
Just behind the hotel here are rows of beautiful tea shops.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
Frankfurt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in May 2013. We paid 138 Yuan per night for a double room with bathroom. The first room we got had a lot of ants so we asked for another room and that wasn't a problem. Unfortunately at night we found out that this room had a problem with the airconditioning. It was leaking and making a lot of noise. Also both rooms smelled of cigarettes because it's allowed to smoke in the rooms. Wifi was available in the room and there was also a kettle and a tv. The bathroom was a bit smelly and not very clean. The staff was friendly enough. Overall it was an average experience. There must be better places in Jinghong.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I didn't actually stay here but I did consult the front desk person who was quite helpful in helping me with my inquiries. This is a Youth Hostel group but for some reason it is not listed on the YHA website. I would have stayed here if I had known earlier. This hostel is at the center of town and close a coffee shops full of other fellow travelers.

Stayed May 2013
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Our recent stay at this hostel was very short lived. We were on town for 3 days and had trouble getting around and finding information. Our previous hotel was real nice and only 60yuan per night, yet English was nonexistent. We needed help getting buses and finding our way to treks and out of town so figured it would be worth it to pay extra. Long story short, we found this hostel a night and the girls at desk were very nice, although not too knowledgable. So we figured we would give it a shot. Nice area. Anyway, when we checked in the man at the counter was not friendly at all. When we aske if we could put down our big bags in the room first to find our passports, he said "okay I you must, but it's harder on me that way". In the room, which was 128yuan there is no dresser or closet, barely a "balcony" and a shower with a toilet that is actually behind glass, so your partner can see you using the toilet. Anyway. We go down to look at the map and get Info on the garden, which is trip advisers #1 thing to do in the city. He said there is no such thing! When I repeated myself, he gave me a very dirty look and then looked backdown without saying anything. I then asked him about getting to Yiwu, he said it as if he had never heard of it. After another 2-3 minutes of this, I finally had to say something. I asked him how he expects foreigners to get around. He said to use the wifi. Then I said what about a bus to the garden or to Yiwu. He said, "if you have any questions about getting around you can go ask at the bus station". Ihad it with him. I asked for a map, he gave me one in Chinese. I asked for English and he shook his head.

We were very kind and easy from the beginning. He had a terrible attitude, spoke good English but it was entirely useless truly. Do not stay here. Even if it's cheap. The local hotels are nicer and u won't have to deal with some guy. No wifi in the rooms anyway. I say get your info before or go to one of the cafes. We ended up asking for a Refund and left.

• Stayed July 2012