“Belated thanks”
Review of Mekong Cafe

Mekong Cafe
Ranked #1 of 6 Coffee & Tea in Jinghong
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: excellent western Local and Thai food prepared by real professional chefs at local prices warm atmosphere large outside terrace by the Mekong river live band good music travel info
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Better late than never!

I am not a regular reviewer but couldn't fail to give this gem of a place the mention it deserves. I passed through Jinghong back in later November and called into the Mekong Café in order to plan day trips/guides etc. All the staff (between them representing most if not all of the local ethnic minority tribes) were extremely welcoming and interested. The owner, Grégoire, was especially helpful and generous (and fascinating - he has led an interesting life!). I hope to make it back some day.

The culinary highlight for me were the awesome cakes - chapeau, Grégoire !

Et merci,

Gav

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I frequented this cafe on a number occasions during my visit in Xishuangbanna - breakfast, brunch, dinner and late night drinking.

The staff were predominantly professional and friendly - especially the guy from Holland who was helping out Greg (the French owner). Coco, the lady from Dali was a great source of knowledge with excellent English. They kindly provided me a local map (in English) - a good place to get your bearings and find out local info.

A great place to hangout (both inside and out) with good wifi. I tried a number of dishes and in my opinion, the pasta dishes (carbonara, Bolognese) were not as good as expected (although the pasta is made on the premises). However, very good pizza, freshly made as well as decent desserts (black forest gateau, profiteroles and the apple pie gets special mention - ask for it as it's not on the menu and takes about 30mins to bake). There's also a great selection of Belgium beers, they have 1500cl bottles of Duvel for less than RMB 300.

1  Thank Mokkey8
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

This place helped us get over the disappointment of the local rice noodle breakfasts. We spent Spring Festival evening here and were totally satisfied with the food. Service is very friendly and the boss has a massive reggae collection which was really helpful as it helps our baby relax. I think it would be difficult to stay in Jinghong without visiting Mekong Cafe
I don't know if anybody from the cafe reads these reviews but if so here's a message for Eve who helped us book a trip to a place in the tea plantations (our feedback): it was a very comfortable and well designed place but overpriced, especially the food which was rather poor quality (take 拉肚子药 with you). We felt that if the room was half price OR the food was included in the price, then it'd be worth it. We can do the more or less the same thing in Hangzhou for quarter the price (but I guess that's the price for fresh air in China). Anyway, thanks for your help booking the trip and sorry we didn't have time to return to the cafe to report in person. Cheers!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

A charming, relaxing café and restaurant, not only for a great choice of Asian and Western food, but also to feel like home. The owners Lijuan and Greg are very jovial people and help out wherever and whenever they can (hotel booking, tours, guidebooks, etc.). Both speak very good English, Greg even French and Spanish. Don’t miss to try the Burger, it’s fantastic! :)

1  Thank Sabine R
Reviewed December 27, 2013

well run friendly cafe/bar with French and Dutch partners. Good selection of food and beer. It is a long building so walk in and look around. Guide books available to browse and info available in nice setting