TripAdvisor
Xiahe County
Post
Inbox
Search

“Good place to see Tibetan culture”
Review of Xiahe County

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 helpful votes
“Good place to see Tibetan culture”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We went to the Tibetan areas of Gansu and Sichuan with a travel agency called Nomad Travel, based in Xiahe. It is owned by a Dutch woman who lives in Xiahe with her Tibetan husband Wandhikhar. We started off in Lanzhou and went overland to Chengdu via Xiahe, Langmusi and Songpan. It was absolutely delightful! The people in this area are so friendly and warm, it really touches your heart. Our tour was guided by Wandhikhar, a Tibetan man from Xiahe, who was so helpful and patient in explaining the Tibetan culture to us. We visited a nomad tent on the grasslands and he showed us how to make tsampa, the staple food for Tibetans. In Xiahe and Langmusi there are wonderful Monasteries, where we got lots of info on Tibetan buddhism. I was all so wonderful, nice people, nice scenery. In Songpan you can do a horse trek through the mountains, very nice, but you do have to walk sometimes because the slopes are steep. Still a good experience.

2 Thank laura p
Crete, Nebraska
112 helpful votes
“Western Travel experience”
Reviewed November 25, 2006

We visited the Buddhist caves (Bingling Si) and Xiahe, traveling from Lanzhou and using Western Travel, which offered a package deal (car and driver for 2 days, boat to the caves, and hotel for 1 night in Xiahe; you hire your own guides at each place). We weren't disappointed, but I would suggest that you don't expect too much. The hotel they provide is very basic, with minimal heat from steam pipes, which are also somewhat noisy. There is a TV with Chinese channels, but no refrigerator or IDD. There's no food served, but you can get breakfast at the hotel across the street. The location is near the other hotels, close to the monastery. Our driver was very nice, and even helped us get train tickets for our next destination after we returned to Lanzhou. They will try and hurry you along, with our boat operator telling us we could only stay for 1 hour at the caves, though we stayed until we were ready to leave (about and hour and a half). We left at 9 a.m. and returned at 4:30 p.m. the next.

Zurich, Switserland
7 helpful votes
“Great place with lots of things to see!!”
Reviewed September 24, 2006

I visited the small town of Xiahe in June 2006 and had a fantastic time there! This town is predominantly Tibetan and there is a very large Tibetan monastry there which is absolutely stunning! From Xiahe you can visit the Sangke grasslands. I met a guide while I was having lunch and he took me to the grasslands where we visited a Tibetan nomad family and went hiking. It would have been very difficult to do this trip without a Tibetan speaking guide because most nomad there don't speak Chinese and you will never be able to sample the Tibetan milk tea in a nomad tent without a Tibetan guide. After the visit we went hiking on the grassland which was wonderful. I was so happy to have met this guy that the next day we went to the small town of Langmusi together. This town is about 4 hours from Xiahe and also has fantastic area's for hiking. Langmusi also has 2 monastries, which we visited. The guide has lots of knowledge of Tibetan Buddhism so the tour became really interesting. In the evening we had dinner at Leisha's cafe which has the most delicious applepie I ever tasted!
The guide I used is Wandhikhar. He is absolutely great and can organise everything for you in and around Xiahe. His email is: [-]
You can get to Xiahe from Lanzhou (capital of Gansu province) by public bus, which takes about 6 hours. From Xiahe to Langmusi you can also go by public bus, which takes about 4 hours. My guide and I went from Xiahe to Langmusi by car through the grasslands where we made several stops on the way. This is more interesting than taking the public bus. On the way from Xiahe to Langmusi you can also visit a small school for nomad kids. It's very sweet to see these kids in their tiny classroom. A hotel I would recommend in Langmusi is the Sana hotel, which is clean and cheap. Langmusi has only 1 street, so you can't miss it.
All in all, it was absolutely great and well worth the visit!

7 Thank Albertthetraveller

Been to Xiahe County? Share your experiences!